Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Default Superboy & Legion of Superheroes: Did Kal-El have a Legionaire love interest?

Does anyone recall if the young Kal-El have any girlfriends that were Legionaires, or if anyone caught his eye? Or for that matter, was there anyone on the Legion that was attracted to Kal-El at all, even if it was just a platonic crush?
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 10-03-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Does anyone recall if the young Kal-El have any girlfriends that were Legionaires, or if anyone caught his eye? Or for that matter, was there anyone on the Legion that was attracted to Kal-El at all, even if it was just a platonic crush?
    Triplicate Girl was in love with him before Bouncing Boy.

Ultimate Member

Because he was written back in the day as having a built-in girlfriend in Lana Lang 'back home' in Smallville (even if they were flirting with a will-they/won't-they dynamic for ages), it was rarely touched upon in the original stories (although, as noted, Triplicate Girl had a crush on him). It would probably have seemed pretty callow for him to have a girlfriend that he only visits a few months of the year in some distant future, and a completely different girlfriend 'back home' the rest of the year... (They certainly seemed to pair off almost every else over the years, save Sun Boy and Chameleon Boy, and it seemed like when a new girl, in particular, joined the team, the boys were circling like wolves...)

With Jon, AFAIK, not having a pre-existing girlfriend to 'go home to,' the field's a bit more wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I think it was portrayed that some female Legionnaires were interested but he always had to keep in mind that the 30th century was not his true time.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjames21 View Post
    Triplicate Girl was in love with him before Bouncing Boy.
    I remember this being a thing as well in the cartoon.

Triplicate Girl was the only Legionnaire who was shown to be interested in him. Except for Laurel Kent that one time if she counts.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Thanks, everyone.

I seem to remember Shadow Lass originally was interested in Superboy. It was maybe a quick mention back in a 60’s story I read. Other than that, Triplicate Girl & Laurel Kent were it. Lots and of options in the Legion!
    Last edited by Jon-El; 10-06-2020 at 04:12 PM.

Triplicate Girl definitely was - this was changed from Superboy to M'onel after the reboot and given a weird religious dimension if I recall correctly.

Chuck was better for her, I think.

But my favorite Legionnaire relationship for Kal is Brainiac Five. Yeah, from the animated series! There's definitely some romantic tension between them in that show, and it even sounds like the creators did that subtext on purpose.

To this day, I still ship Superboy and Brainiac Five because I saw that show as a kid.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Triplicate Girl definitely was - this was changed from Superboy to M'onel after the reboot and given a weird religious dimension if I recall correctly.

Chuck was better for her, I think.

But my favorite Legionnaire relationship for Kal is Brainiac Five. Yeah, from the animated series! There's definitely some romantic tension between them in that show, and it even sounds like the creators did that subtext on purpose.

To this day, I still ship Superboy and Brainiac Five because I saw that show as a kid.
    Lol did you see that panel on the show with Tucker from Fandome? The tension between the two was entirely intentional according to Tucker.

Retired

I'm currently reading the Shooter run and I've just read the story where Shadow Lass joins the Legion--and reading between the lines, it seems she wanted to be in the Legion because of Braniac 5, not Superboy.

At this time, Invisible Kid was the leader and Superboy was his deputy--Lyle, Captain Kirk style, seems to have a distaste for wearing shirts and we get to see him bare-chested whenever the mood strikes him. So some romance between Superboy and Invisible Kid might be going on there.

I have a fan theory that Triplicate Girl's three selves each had a different romantic interest--one wanted to be with Invisible Kid, another wanted to be with Superboy, and the third wanted Bouncing Boy. The self that got killed was the one who wanted Lyle (he later joins her in death). The other two had to decide who should get what she wants, and the Duo Damsel that loved Bouncing Boy won out.

Early on in the Legion there's some hints that Saturn Girl is warm for Superboy's form. But later, she chooses Lightning Lad. Of course, Supergirl had a crush on her cousin, too--but only when he was Superman.

Astonishing Member

It depends on how interested any female Legionnaire was in a doomed romance. They knew from history who Superboy would eventually marry. Laurel Kent all but names the choice as Lois.

So since history can't be changed in the Superverse, which girl is looking to be a runner-up to some 20th century girl in the romance department? You'd have a better chance going back to the 19th century and dating a Cartwright on the Ponderosa- at least they get to die rather than having to read about the person who wins the hero's heart in history class

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    It depends on how interested any female Legionnaire was in a doomed romance. They knew from history who Superboy would eventually marry. Laurel Kent all but names the choice as Lois.

So since history can't be changed in the Superverse, which girl is looking to be a runner-up to some 20th century girl in the romance department? You'd have a better chance going back to the 19th century and dating a Cartwright on the Ponderosa- at least they get to die rather than having to read about the person who wins the hero's heart in history class
    They're teens. I'm pretty sure none of them are really concerned with if they'll still be together in 20 years.

To answer the OP, as many have said, Triplicate Girl was the primary one after his affections. Never saw much of the Legion animated series since I wasn't big on the animation style and them including Superman X in the sophomore season kind of dissuaded me from jumping in after. I do need to sit down and watch it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They're teens. I'm pretty sure none of them are really concerned with if they'll still be together in 20 years.

To answer the OP, as many have said, Triplicate Girl was the primary one after his affections. Never saw much of the Legion animated series since I wasn't big on the animation style and them including Superman X in the sophomore season kind of dissuaded me from jumping in after. I do need to sit down and watch it someday.
    I'm pretty sure Duo Damsel actually does bemoan the fact that she knows that Kal is destined to marry someone else when she's in Smallville during the first Mordru story. It didn't help that Kal was oblivious to her as a romantic partner.
    I wasn't crazy about the animation style of the Legion cartoon, but the writing for it was pretty good. It's worth watching imo.

Shadow Lass was interested in Brainiac 5. Don’t know why I linked her with Superboy. Well I guess Triplicate Girl was it!