Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disney Sacks 50,000 - Is the Comics Dept Affected?

I saw this statement that Disney payed off 50,000. Has there been any stories if Marvel Comics were involved?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I saw this statement that Disney payed off 50,000. Has there been any stories if Marvel Comics were involved?
    Those are theme park workers. Different vertical than the Marvel division and so on.

Ultimate Member

Before the Gators start rallying up and blaming the hiring of Ms Marvel actress before she even starts, black people and the ususal nonsense.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/media...ffs/index.html

Disney is laying off 28,000 people in the United States as the coronavirus pandemic hammers its parks and resorts business.

The cuts will affect the Disney's Parks, Experiences and Products unit. The company said 67% of the employees laid off will be part-time workers.
    Disney's parks and resorts division has more than 100,000 US employees.
    Disney's theme parks shut down globally this spring as the pandemic hit, dealing a huge blow to the company's bottom line. The company's profit dropped a whopping 91% during the first three months of 2020.
    Now that number is 28K where is this 50 coming from?

Where is this statement at?

Some people at the UK TV channels department will have lost jobs too with this week's closure of the Disney Channel, Disney Junior and Disney XD channels, but that doesn't explain the missing 22,000.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Some people at the UK TV channels department will have lost jobs too with this week's closure of the Disney Channel, Disney Junior and Disney XD channels, but that doesn't explain the missing 22,000.
    Wait Disney channels are closing too?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Maybe just suspending operations of the new projects?? Has Wandavision finished filming? They did have a trailer out.

Disney Channel, not Disney+, they're different, though some overlap. I understand all the Disney+ stuff is moving forward, though some shows are being reshuffled due to filming delays caused by the pandemic. (mainly Falcon and Winter Soldier being pushed back a bit, Wandavision was finished filming before the pandemic hit, i guess it had more to do in post, and it is coming out as scheduled) From what I could gather, there are still some Disney Channels in operation in various places but in the UK, they were 'unable to reach an agreement' to continue it. I suspect they likely want to focus on Disney+ right now, so are not being too aggressive in renewing deals for Disney Channel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Maybe just suspending operations of the new projects?? Has Wandavision finished filming? They did have a trailer out.
    WandaVision is on Disney Plus, that's streaming. Different vertical. Disney Channel is a cable channel, as is Disney XD.

Ultimate Member

That is probably still in production shows. If they are being held up that means you have to hold up promotional and marketing departments as well.

With so much coming to a halt in March that also mean studios were not able to set prices and agreements for ads from various companies. Since that is generally addressed when they announce what is renewed or axed.

As of right now who has anything new to toss out that was not already in the can or stilling in limbo not named Tyler Perry? 5 of his shows have a combined 82 episodes that was filmed between March and September.

WandaVision is on Disney Plus, that's streaming. Different vertical. Disney Channel is a cable channel, as is Disney XD.
    Cable and satellite, yes. Sky's satellite TV service is much more popular than Virgin Media and BT's cable platforms in the UK.

Disney Channel UK launched in September 1995, Disney XD, as Fox Kids Network, on 19 October 1996, so they've been around for a long time. The reason they and Disney Junior closed is a combination of low ratings (they're not as popular as Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network) and the recent launch of Disney+. They're closing in a lot of other countries for similar reasons, they're just dumping linear channels in favour of streaming.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Before the Gators start rallying up and blaming the hiring of Ms Marvel actress before she even starts, black people and the ususal nonsense.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/29/media...ffs/index.html

Now that number is 28K where is this 50 coming from?

Where is this statement at?
    Saw it on a CNN ribbon news statement, but didn’t know the context. That it’s not the comics dept puts my mind at ease. I hope this thing doesn’t drag on.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-04-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Thanos snap?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Ultimate Member

Saw it on a CNN ribbon news statement, but didn’t know the context. That it’s not the comics dept puts my mind at ease. I hope this thing doesn’t drag on.
    I doubt the comic side is affected as Disney sort of did their house cleaning awhile back.

In terms of contracts-I would think Hickman, Coates, Aaron and Cates are the highest on that aspect.

Also a lot of those editors at least according to the job postings back in 2016-2018-they are doing the jobs of at least 3-4 folks aside from editing books.

For all intent purposes what would you cut?

A lot of those variants are already paid for and some were recycled stuff from the past.

We have seen some stuff that got axed get mixed into other books.

Whoops. So comic department people ARE being sacked by Disney. Publisher John Née and media producer Judy Stephens.

Judy Stephens hurts. She did do much for Marvel and the cosplay community. When cons start again, the Women of Marvel panels won't be the same without her
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast