Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Oa - Green Lantern in it's entirety Appreciation Thread

"In brightest day, in blackest night,
    No evil shall escape my sight.
    Let those who worship evil's might,
    Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

in the spirit of the old Green Lanterns thread, I present The Book of Oa: a thread in Appreciation of the Green Lantern mythology. This thread is dedicated to all Green Lanterns and everything within their mythology. so whether you are a fan of John Stewart, Alan Scott, Sodam Yat, Sinestro, Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, Arkillo, Jo Mullein, Hal Jordan, Teen Lantern, Mogo, Saint Walker, Ganthet, Aya, you name it; all are welcome!

Created by: (writer), (artist)

First Appearance: working on it

Essential Reading
    Emerald Twilight
    Emerald Dawn
    New Dawn
    Green Lantern: Rebirth
    Green Lantern: No Fear
    Infinite Crisis
    Green Lantern: Mosaic
    Sinestro Corps War
    Green Lantern: Secret Origin
    Sinestro Corps War
    Blackest Night
    Brightest Day
    War of the Green Lanterns
    Sinestro's War
    Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion/Lost Army
    Green Lanterns: Out of Time

--
    --

what do you consider essential reading material for the Green Lantern canon?

Powers: All members of the various Lantern Corps utilize a ring (or other instruments) to use and manipulate pure light energy supplied by a Power Battery; in the case of the Green Lanterns, this light energy takes the form of bright green light. A Green Lantern's ring, considered by some to be one of the most powerful weapons in the known universe, has the ability to affect and use fundamental forces of the known universe including electromagnetic energies such as gravity, radiation, heat, and light. It is also theorized that the ring has a basis in other dimensional energies commonly called magic by users of such energies. The ring can also create fields of force and hard light contructs from the green aspect of the Emotional Electromagnetic Spectrum bound by the users' will. The limitations of such use, given a sufficiently charged ring, are the skill, knowledge and imagination of the user.

Alan Scott, unlike the Lanterns to come after him, controls the mystical power of the Starheart: an ancient artifact created by the Guardians of the Universe to contain the predominate amount of magic they had gathered in the universe. The Starheart's power manifests as green flame and green light that Alan can use and manipulate to almost identical affect as other Green Lanterns. The Starheart has a weakness to wood, as it is an incarnation of "green, growing things" and thus could not be turned against them. This implies a connection between the Starheart and the elemental force of "The Green", an intertextual connection made more explicit on Earth-2 where Alan Scott was the Avatar of The Green.

Notable Members:
    - Alan Scott
    - Hal Jordan
    - John Stewart
    - Guy Gardner
    - Kyle Rayner
    - Simon Baz
    - Jessica Cruz
    - Sojourner "Jo" Mullein
    - Kilowog
    - Salaak
    - Arisia
    - Mogo
    - Sodam Yat
    - Katma Tui
    - Soranik Natu
    - Abin Sur
    - G'Nott
    - Tomar Re
    - Tomar Tu
    - Somar-Le
    - Krkkzz Zappl

Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-05-2020 at 11:04 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

While Alan is honorary at best, he's my favorite so I'll take any chance to spread some love for the OG.

This is a great idea. The GL fandom can be way too fragmented based on everyone's favorite iteration but most of us like a whole lot of 'em. Just keep them Charlie Vicker fans out of here.

Showcase #22
    First appearance of Abin Sur, the concept of "Space Patrolmen in the Super Galactic System", the Power Battery, and the ring recognizing the Fearless and Honest criteria and choosing the first human Hal Jordan

----------

First appearance of Oa and the Guardians GL #1
    The Guardians don't make themselves fully know yet...

--------------

Jordan finally meets his first other active Green Lantern Green Lantern #6
    Tomar-Re the second active GL introduced.
    And the first ever Green Lantern Corps member Team-Up

----

Last edited by Güicho; 10-04-2020 at 08:41 PM.

I’m cool with this, I was just saying earlier that I honestly like all the green lanterns from my years of reading various series, both Green Lantern and Justice League related. I don’t think we should look a multiple characters as being harmful to other characters, it’s a corps made of multiple people. It’s honestly my favorite thing to see the corps fly in together.

I’m also a fan of Alan Scott, so I am cool with appreciating him as well.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

1961 - GL #7

Oa the Guardians finally show themselves again, when they need Jordan to bring in Sinestro)
    First appearance of Sinestro.

--------------

The First appearance of the GL Corps
    GL # 9

---------

And the first appearance of the Oa Citadel and Central Power Battery
    as they group charge their rings.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-04-2020 at 09:17 PM.

GL #16

First appearance the Zamarons and Star Sapphire

-----------

GL #30
    The first female GL introduced: Katma Tui

Last edited by Güicho; 10-04-2020 at 09:18 PM.

"It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

1965 - GL #40

The return of Alan Scott to the pages of GL (although they met in several of the JL Crisis crossovers)
    the first specific team-up of the Golden age and Silver Age Green Lanterns in GL.

Issue also features the first telling of the history of the Guardians of the Universe, Oa
    and the first appearance and introduction of Krona...

Last edited by Güicho; 10-05-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Glory to the Corps. .

GL #59
    First appearance Guy Gardner as Green Lantern:

--------------
    GL #87
    First appearance John Stewart as Green Lantern:

--------------
    Flash #221/#222 GL #90

Last edited by Güicho; 10-05-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have said it before and I will say it again. I want a Hal/John team up book. I think these two have the most interesting relationship of all the various GLs but it rarely gets explored.

I think Guy/Kyle is also a lot of fun.

DCSHG has shown that Jess/Hal could be great too.

My preference for the GL franchise moving forward would be a rotating cast of different duos, trios, and occasionally quartets having adventures across the DCU. Mix and match them in different combinations,including the various under-served alien GLs with different artists and writers moving in and out, but with all the creators working on the same page.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have said it before and I will say it again. I want a Hal/John team up book. I think these two have the most interesting relationship of all the various GLs but it rarely gets explored.

My preference for the GL franchise moving forward would be a rotating cast of different duos, trios, and occasionally quartets having adventures across the DCU. Mix and match them in different combinations,including the various under-served alien GLs with different artists and writers moving in and out, but with all the creators working on the same page.
    It is weird that they don't have many interactions with each other considering Hal is the one that trained John when he was first written.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

I think that could work if there's also a book alongside it with each arc being a different GL's solo adventure to appease people who JUST want Hal, John, etc. GL can and should be able to support two books.