BANNED

Default The Manapul/Buccellato run on The Flash seems underappreciated

They did a great job modernizing the mythology and getting Flash to use his powers creatively during epic crises.

Just needed a little more humor IMO.

If I wanted to introduce someone to the Flash, it would probably be with their trades.

What are your thoughts?

I'd love to be corrected wrong, but while Manapul's art is still quite good, I haven't seem any of his recent work come anywhere close to touching what he pulled off in his new 52 Flash. Also I actually liked Captain Cold with powers.

I feel like it's just as appreciated as it should be. The art is gorgeous but I find the writing kind of bland and it's missing a lot of what I would consider key elements and characters to the Flash mythos. I'd probably rather start someone with either Waid or Johns but that's just my personal bias. There are definitely worse starting points. It's been a while since I read it though.

It's what got me into The Flash comics .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's what got me into The Flash comics .
    Honestly I loved the world building and how it set up the characters. I loved Buccelatto’s take on Barry, the creation of the development of the Gem Cities, how the Rogues were developed. I feel like they were that step needed that made Johns’s initial concepts work all that better. I feel like if given a chance to bring in Wally and did more with Bart (either New 52 or classic Bart), they could have did something amazing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    Honestly I loved the world building and how it set up the characters. I loved Buccelatto’s take on Barry, the creation of the development of the Gem Cities, how the Rogues were developed. I feel like they were that step needed that made Johns’s initial concepts work all that better. I feel like if given a chance to bring in Wally and did more with Bart (either New 52 or classic Bart), they could have did something amazing with it.
    Manapul/Buccelato were basically just building off what Johns did with The Rogues but they did get to bring back Golden Glider and make her a bigger part of The Rogues, which was a good thing in my opinion.

Nobody would have wanted to touch New 52 Bar-Torr (I know there was one issue where Barry met New 52 Kid Flash but they just weren't connecting at all).

It was pretty, but I thought the story was pretty dumb. I had a tough time getting through it, and I’ve never been able to revisit.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Manapul/Buccelato were basically just building off what Johns did with The Rogues but they did get to bring back Golden Glider and make her a bigger part of The Rogues, which was a good thing in my opinion.

Nobody would have wanted to touch New 52 Bar-Torr (I know there was one issue where Barry met New 52 Kid Flash but they just weren't connecting at all).
    I feel like Bar Tor, much like the other Lobdell Titans during that time all had good concepts but it went too extreme in trying to separate them from their mentored that it got ridiculous to extent of unlikable proportions. But they did had gems in between. I reread the story where they met and Saying they weren’t connecting was an understatement. Bar Tor was a full on jerk, and was unlikable and unreasonable for no real reason than to stretch the issue.

As for the Rogues, I do agree and see what you mean about building off the Rogues but I am glad they not only brought the Glider back but the reasoning they had for giving them powers. I also liked the changes they did to characters like Turbine/New 52 Top, Weather Wizard, etc. I know with some writers, it comes off forced adding diversity but I was really a fan of how they fleshed out and changed the New 52 Rogues but still kept the things they made them likable and what made them work from Waid, John’s, etc.

I was also a fan of the Flash#0 origin and how they explained and developed Barry.

Always Rakzo

Easily one of the best things that came out from the erratic New 52 era.

Also, even though they didn't feature Barry and Iris as a couple, Manapul & Buccellato gave us one of the best Barry & Iris moment in recent years during their final issue.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

The art was beyond amazing, but the writing was average.
    I got the impression there was some stuff going on behind the scenes that kinda dictated the direction they went too.
    That said, it was still miles ahead of the 12 issues Geoff Johns gave us leading up to Flashpoint.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

It seemed like Manapul and Bcuccellato really loved the Rogues (despite giving them actual powers). I loved what they did to Golden Glider.

CW obviously didn't get the memo.

I loved loved Manapul’s art. And while I felt the stories were average, they were enjoyable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Easily one of the best things that came out from the erratic New 52 era.

Also, even though they didn't feature Barry and Iris as a couple, Manapul & Buccellato gave us one of the best Barry & Iris moment in recent years during their final issue.
    The Zero Year issue? Definitely their best kiss .

Spectacular Member

The art was the only good thing about the run.

underrated? if anything it's overrated lol.