Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I am glad John Stewart is finally getting another shot at a solo title. It's a shame that the writer seems to think that Hal is a terrible character though. I am not sure how how that's a recipe for success if the book is being written by someone who thinks a giant chunk of GL fans are wrong.

This is the same situation DC put itself in with Marz & Dooley back in the 90s. Why deliberately antagonize half your readership by insulting the character that has been the primary focus of the franchise for decades.

It's like handing over the Star Wars franchise to someone who thinks Luke Skywalker is boring.

This doesn't mean you can't think Luke's dull, but that person might not be the best choice for Star Wars if they can't understand why a big percentage of fans love Star Wars so much.

Irregardless, I hope this book is good and finds success despite the pointless alienation of a big part of its fanbase.
    Too bad writers like Geoff Johns and Tom King only expressed their REAL feelings towards John Stewart in writing than actually saying something, because I did feel cheated and ripped off as a fan. Those guys did me no favors. I do think a Hal Jordan fan have a right to be disappointed if a writer doesn't have fondness towards their favorite character, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Too bad writers like Geoff Johns and Tom King only expressed their REAL feelings towards John Stewart in writing than actually saying something, because I did feel cheated and ripped off as a fan. Those guys did me no favors. I do think a Hal Jordan fan have a right to be disappointed if a writer doesn't have fondness towards their favorite character, though.
    Tom King had written something about John?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Tom King had written something about John?
    Yea, it was in the Darkseid War One Shot special where he killed off John Stewart.

What bothered me most wasn't because John Stewart was a supporting character, but how badly he was written to make Hal Jordan look good.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 12-05-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Yea, it was in the Darkseid War One Shot special where he killed off John Stewart.

What bothered me most wasn't because John Stewart was a supporting character, but how badly he was written to make Hal Jordan look good.
    King also had Hal shoot himself in the head, if that makes you feel better... ? (he also had Hal say that he doesn't even know what willpower means - what the what??)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-05-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    King also had Hal shoot himself in the head, if that makes you feel better... ? (he also had Hal say that he doesn't even know what willpower means - what the what??)
    It doesn't make me feel any different about that man. He went on record saying Hal Jordan is his favorite character. Nothing wrong with that, but don't use John Stewart in the book to attract his fans and then shit on him to make your character look good. John Stewart could've been replaced by an alien lantern and it would've made no difference in impact in that story. John Stewart in that story had served really no purpose, other than used to one up Hal Jordan.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This guy is a bit too dramatic, but he screnshoted lots of new writers tweets over the last few years here: https://twitter.com/han9002/status/1...709736960?s=21

He basically thinks that Hal is a boring cardboard character and only time he was interesting was when he was bad guy (for his favourite GLs to beat obviously). Likely that some Hal fans won't give his book a chance.
    I can understand how this may seem damning, but as someone who is excited for another green lantern besides Hal to finally take focus again this is good to see.

John Stewart fans haven’t been happy with how he’s been treated for the past 20 years or so. There’s also some bitterness that DC totally failed to capitalize on the popularity of the DCAU Stewart’s popularity, and fans of any of the other GLs in my experience have always chafed at Hal being the “Greatest” GL. Don’t expect fans of John, Guy, Kyle, Jess, or Simon to be content with being second best to Hal. I expect Thorne is going to use his book to make his case for why John not Hal is the Greatest GL. And you know what? I’m ok with that, mainly because I like Hal & John equally as my favorite GLs (Jess is a close third though). We’ve gotten about 20 years of material about why Hal was the greatest, DC is going to let someone make the case for John now. We’ll see if Redjack can pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I can understand how this may seem damning, but as someone who is excited for another green lantern besides Hal to finally take focus again this is good to see.
    Hal & John are my two favorite GLs. My first GL was Stewart in the cartoon but the first comic book run I ever read start to finish was Johns GL run, and Hal to me is awesome. But I haven’t been happy with the state of John for a while, especially since I’ve soured on the DCAU over the years and I haven’t found any good John Stewart material in the comics that isn’t regrettably tainted by stuff like Jones being a pedo. I want a new great series with John in it, and I’m hopeful Redjack can deliver that with this upcoming stuff. I don’t even expect Hal to show up in Thorne’s stuff given his distaste for the character but if he does and he gets knocked down a peg, a lot of John fans would say it’s only fair for how John has been treated lol.

Astonishing Member

This guy is a bit too dramatic, but he screnshoted lots of new writers tweets over the last few years here: https://twitter.com/han9002/status/1...709736960?s=21

He basically thinks that Hal is a boring cardboard character and only time he was interesting was when he was bad guy (for his favourite GLs to beat obviously). Likely that some Hal fans won't give his book a chance.
    Am I the only one found this whole thing the twitter user did creepy and rife with an unfortunate air?

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Am I the only one found this whole thing the twitter user did creepy and rife with an unfortunate air?
    Not really. People do it all the time because it's public social commentary. I think, unfortunately, that Thorne's public statements are going to undermine the success of the book and make Green Lantern fandom even more divisive than it currently is. Publicly hating on the most popular character in the Lantern verse isn't going to win you readers, in fact, it's going to cost them.
    Visit The Blog of Oa for Green Lantern News, Reviews, Podcasts and more

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    John Stewart fans haven’t been happy with how he’s been treated for the past 20 years or so. There’s also some bitterness that DC totally failed to capitalize on the popularity of the DCAU Stewart’s popularity, and fans of any of the other GLs in my experience have always chafed at Hal being the “Greatest” GL. Don’t expect fans of John, Guy, Kyle, Jess, or Simon to be content with being second best to Hal. I expect Thorne is going to use his book to make his case for why John not Hal is the Greatest GL. And you know what? I’m ok with that, mainly because I like Hal & John equally as my favorite GLs (Jess is a close third though). We’ve gotten about 20 years of material about why Hal was the greatest, DC is going to let someone make the case for John now. We’ll see if Redjack can pull it off.

Hal & John are my two favorite GLs. My first GL was Stewart in the cartoon but the first comic book run I ever read start to finish was Johns GL run, and Hal to me is awesome. But I haven’t been happy with the state of John for a while, especially since I’ve soured on the DCAU over the years and I haven’t found any good John Stewart material in the comics that isn’t regrettably tainted by stuff like Jones being a pedo. I want a new great series with John in it, and I’m hopeful Redjack can deliver that with this upcoming stuff. I don’t even expect Hal to show up in Thorne’s stuff given his distaste for the character but if he does and he gets knocked down a peg, a lot of John fans would say it’s only fair for how John has been treated lol.
    I agree. I think what excites me most is that he seems to be a real fan of John Stewart. I always prefer having a writer to write a character who he/she really likes than to feel forced to write a character who they somewhat likes. In his storytelling, I would want to see his perspective on what makes John the greatest Green Lantern.

Personally I disagree with all of Mr. Thorne's opinions on Hal but I respect that he has his preferences and I'm not going to begrudge him for wanting to promote John. I know there's a very vocal subset of the fandom who feel like it's John's time to shine above all others and I can understand that after how little he's been promoted since the DCAU. I also feel confident that Mr. Thorne can remain professional enough to not drag down a character he may personally not care for just to serve his story and he might not even mention or use Hal at all. Because that won't really solve anything in the long run.

But, y'know, it's not even just Hal now. What about Guy, Kyle, Jessica, or Simon? Or Teen Lantern, for anyone who feels like she's even relevant in this conversation.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally I disagree with all of Mr. Thorne's opinions on Hal but I respect that he has his preferences and I'm not going to begrudge him for wanting to promote John. I know there's a very vocal subset of the fandom who feel like it's John's time to shine above all others and I can understand that after how little he's been promoted since the DCAU. I also feel confident that Mr. Thorne can remain professional enough to not drag down a character he may personally not care for just to serve his story and he might not even mention or use Hal at all. Because that won't really solve anything in the long run.

But, y'know, it's not even just Hal now. What about Guy, Kyle, Jessica, or Simon? Or Teen Lantern, for anyone who feels like she's even relevant in this conversation.
    Don’t forget Jo Mullein now.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Don’t forget Jo Mullein now.
    Knew I forgot somebody (and now I'm at a point where I can't even remember them all) .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Knew I forgot somebody (and now I'm at a point where I can't even remember them all) .
    Yea there's so many of them

Looks like a fun couple months of GL titles, interested to see what the direction/story will be in March.