Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I beg to differ. John was sidelined, because of their own personal biases. And that's all there is to it.
    Is Thorne not about to sideline Hal because he has a bias towards John? I have no opinion either way, but he's stated he doesn't like Hal and prefers to write about John. I'm pretty sure that's a bias.

Fantastic Member

Thorne sounds quite... defensive. I can't stand writers who explain themselves stubbornly to prevent possible criticism. That attitude almost always brings passive aggression.

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    Is Thorne not about to sideline Hal because he has a bias towards John? I have no opinion either way, but he's stated he doesn't like Hal and prefers to write about John. I'm pretty sure that's a bias.
    I don't think Thorne is sidelining Hal so much as not using him. We'll have to see where the other GL's end up.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I actually think it would be cool to see Jessica or Simon mentor Keli, paying it forward like when the OG four did trained them. I would give the role to Simon since DC isn't doing anything with him. I don't know her home situation but maybe Simon's family could take her in, that could be wholesome. although, the softie in me thats probably a smol tumblr girl kinda would love Simon & Jess as partner again taking in and co-mentoring Keli like a Green Lantern family.
    I’ve thought this too. Maybe make them their own kind of subunit of the human GLs like Venditti did Hal, Guy, John, and Kyle did.

BANNED

No more biased than previous writers were against John.

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    Thorne sounds quite... defensive. I can't stand writers who explain themselves stubbornly to prevent possible criticism. That attitude almost always brings passive aggression.
    How dare he!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Thorne is sidelining Hal so much as not using him. We'll have to see where the other GL's end up.
    Yeah that's true. I grew up with John as my GL, so I have no problem with getting his due. Like Thorne said, we have to wait till the books in our hands before we can accurately judge it. I just think it's a bit hypocritical for people to throw stones at Johns or Morrison for focusing on Hal when Thorne is just doing the opposite for John. There's no problem with either in my opinion.

Let us not forget when they sidelined Hal by blowing up his city in a Superman book and turning him from hero to villain in a single issue. What goes around comes around.

Hal stocks go down, John's go up. In ten years that could be the opposite. It's just the way it goes.
    Last edited by km_sus; 12-06-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Astonishing Member

I actually think it would be cool to see Jessica or Simon mentor Keli, paying it forward like when the OG four did trained them. I would give the role to Simon since DC isn't doing anything with him. I don't know her home situation but maybe Simon's family could take her in, that could be wholesome. although, the softie in me thats probably a smol tumblr girl kinda would love Simon & Jess as partner again taking in and co-mentoring Keli like a Green Lantern family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Agreed on Simon being Keli's mentor. It gives him a role that would bring out different sides of him we haven't seen before.
    It would also bring out more of the what we have seen from Simon in relation to how he acts with his family. Some of his most wholesome moments are there, including his origin where he heals his brother from a coma with Willpower.

I especially would like to see how Keli and Farid would interact in such an arrangement. If Keli were staying with them (and assuming the poorly done thing with Sira post Sam Humphries isn't brought up), then Farid would have serious competition for his Uncle's attention, since Simon would likely spend a lot of time mentoring Keli is various things. Would a sense of jealousy arise? If so, how would it manifest? Would he want/seek a Lantern Ring of his own? (I've always liked the idea of the Baz-Amar family all being Lantern potential, each from different Corp.; Farid would be likely Blue in this headcanon.) That's worth exploring such a dynamic on its own, and would eventually lead to a deepened bond between Farid and his Uncle Simon and Farid and Keli.

May I ask where this defensiveness about Hal comes from? I don't mean this to be rude, I'm genuinely curious. We're just finishing up a run from an A-list creator where he's the headlining character, he gets used in a bunch of other media (usually as the lead Green Lantern) and has been treated the best out of his comrades the last 15 years by far. Were this the 1990s and we were in the throes of Parallax I could understand why people would be worried, but it's not like DC and WB have been treating the character poorly as of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    May I ask where this defensiveness about Hal comes from? I don't mean this to be rude, I'm genuinely curious. We're just finishing up a run from an A-list creator where he's the headlining character, he gets used in a bunch of other media (usually as the lead Green Lantern) and has been treated the best out of his comrades the last 15 years by far. Were this the 1990s and we were in the throes of Parallax I could understand why people would be worried, but it's not like DC and WB have been treating the character poorly as of late.
    I can only speak personally, but it's mainly Thorne's abundant anti-Hal tweets that gives me a bit of pause. Now I'm not worried he's going to bash Hal - he's already defended his upcoming book exhaustively (seriously bro, it's cool, we're in your corner) - but I've just never seen a writer dislike such a prominent cast member of an ensemble book openly actually get to write that book. It's like someone writing Justice League saying how much they dislike Superman. It's just a bit sus is all.

And I don't mind John getting focus at all. If we get ten years of John so be it, hope it's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    people who are getting defensive just want something to point at and feel a type a way about. he said a character was boring instead of us having to infer his feelings from if he were to treat them like they have no value in their characterization on panel. Writers have opinions and biases; water = wet. I read the tweets, i found them funny because it's really a non-issue. maybe people are afraid they'll start treating one of DC's best ensembles like an actual ensemble.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

people who are getting defensive just want something to point at and feel a type a way about. he said a character was boring instead of us having to infer his feelings from if he were to treat them like they have no value in their characterization on panel. Writers have opinions and biases; water = wet. I read the tweets, i found them funny because it's really a non-issue. maybe people are afraid they'll start treating one of DC's best ensembles like an actual ensemble.
    That reminds me of Green Lantern: Emerald Knights which had several spotlight stories for different Lanterns and had Arisia as the main POV character.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Which adult Earth Green Lantern should train Keli Quintela?
    Jessica. Aside from Keli, she's the youngest earth GL and seeing her in a "mentor" role would be really interesting. Though I think Kyle would be great too.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-06-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madmodpoetgod View Post
    He's right to be defensive. Like he said, if his past comments as a fan end up costing this relaunch readers before the first issue even gets published, that would be bad for everyone involved, including the fans who have waited years for John to retake the helm as the main GL. If that means he has to reassure nervous fans who might reasonably be worried, I think that's a smart move on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    No more biased than previous writers were against John.
    Agreed, creators are always going to have favorites and those characters are always going to get more of the spotlight.

It sucks, but with so many human GLs, there's simply no way for all of them to get equal time.

Hal stocks go down, John's go up. In ten years that could be the opposite. It's just the way it goes.
    That is definitely true, particularly with Green Lantern. The only time I took issue with it was during the Kyle Rayner era, wherein nobody but him could be a GL anymore and great concepts like the Corps were scuttled in favor of Peter Parker with a power ring. Not that there's anything wrong with that idea, but I hated that everyone else had to be $#!+canned for one character. That wasn't fair to fans of Hal, John, Guy, or the Corps.