Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    May I ask where this defensiveness about Hal comes from? I don't mean this to be rude, I'm genuinely curious. We're just finishing up a run from an A-list creator where he's the headlining character, he gets used in a bunch of other media (usually as the lead Green Lantern) and has been treated the best out of his comrades the last 15 years by far. Were this the 1990s and we were in the throes of Parallax I could understand why people would be worried, but it's not like DC and WB have been treating the character poorly as of late.
    Fans of any character know that DC is fickle when it comes to their properties, so I don't blame some fans for being skittish. Emerald Twilight may have happened in the 90s, but it took nearly a decade to reverse. Wally West was riding high as the premier Flash for decades, then through editorial whim, was cast down into a hell of limbo, erasure, reboots, and outright character assassination. And don't even get me started on poor, poor Roy Harper.

I think all the nervousness is largely unnecessary. Hal's in no danger of being swept into the dust bin. And Redjack coming here to assure fans that he's a professional who won't let his dislike of the character result in any disrespect towards the many readers who do like him is enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    This cartoon was awesome. Full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Jessica. Aside from Keli, she's the youngest earth GL and seeing her in a "mentor" role would be really interesting. Though I think Kyle would be great too.
    That would be an interesting new role for Kyle, who has been kind of lost in the weeds since the whole White Lantern thing ended.

Yeah, I think if Teen Lantern had a mentor figure it should certainly be a younger character she can relate to better, so Kyle or Jessica are the most likely candidates in my mind. I don't really see Hal or John in that role.

Yeah, I think if Teen Lantern had a mentor figure it should certainly be a younger character she can relate to better, so Kyle or Jessica are the most likely candidates in my mind. I don't really see Hal or John in that role.
    Bendis already has John sort of mentoring Teen Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    Is Thorne not about to sideline Hal because he has a bias towards John? I have no opinion either way, but he's stated he doesn't like Hal and prefers to write about John. I'm pretty sure that's a bias.
    If it's a John Stewart book, what does Hal have to do with it? Especially if editorial green lit a book that's specifically about John Stewart?

And about Geoff Johns, it's already been said that John was going to be treated equally and even play big roles in that run, which never happened. And then you have misleading solicits making it seem like he has a huge role to play. Of course Geoff Johns preferred Hal over John, but you're forgetting the fact that he also prefers Hal Jordan over Guy Gardner. And you don't see Guy being sidelined like that when he made a guest appearance in a story arc. The same for Barry and Ollie. John Stewart playing second wasn't a problem from me, but it was how diminished the writer made him out to be. It was so bad until even removing him from the Geoff Johns era, there wouldn't be any kind of impact. The only impact he made in that decade run was probably blowing up Mogo. And that's it. I don't think Hal Jordan will EVER get that kind of treatment in the future. If he makes a presence, it would probably be a big one, which is good.

And to be very positive, writers like Venditti treated the human Green Lanterns very equal. He did a real good job there, despite the title having Hal's name on the Green Lantern Corps book. He's a good example of not letting his own personal bias interfere with his writing profession. I applaud him for that.
    Last edited by Sodam Yat; 12-06-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    Bendis already has John sort of mentoring Teen Lantern.
    Well, more like commanding Teen Lantern.
    And about Geoff Johns, it's already been said that John was going to be treated equally and even play big roles in that run, which never happened. And then you have misleading solicits making it seem like he has a huge role to play. Of course Geoff Johns preferred Hal over John, but you're forgetting the fact that he also prefers Hal Jordan over Guy Gardner. And you don't see Guy being sidelined like that when he made a guest appearance in a story arc. The same for Barry and Ollie. John Stewart playing second wasn't a problem from me, but it was how diminished the writer made him out to be. It was so bad until even removing him from the Geoff Johns era, there wouldn't be any kind of impact. The only impact he made in that decade run was probably blowing up Mogo. And that's it. I don't think Hal Jordan will EVER get that kind of treatment in the future. If he makes a presence, it would probably be a big one, which is good.
    You'd have to re-write the plot of some of Johns' run by taking John out. I don't think John was sidelined during that Amon Sur arc where he winds up saving Hal's butt after capturing him while undercover.
    And to be very positive, writers like Venditti treated the human Green Lanterns very equal. He did a real good job there, despite the title having Hal's name on the Green Lantern Corps book. He's a good example of not letting his own personal bias interfere with his writing profession. I applaud him for that.
    At least for his second run, less so than his first one.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    May I ask where this defensiveness about Hal comes from?We're just finishing up a run from an A-list creator where he's the headlining character, he gets used in a bunch of other media (usually as the lead Green Lantern) and has been treated the best out of his comrades the last 15 years by far. Were this the 1990s and we were in the throes of Parallax I could understand why people would be worried, but it's not like DC and WB have been treating the character poorly as of late.
    You bring up the quantity of recent media, not the quality. Most of it is either bad, forgettable, cancelled prematurely, or he doesn't play a particularly huge or memorable role in it. Quite frankly, this has been great for Non-Hal fans, because if, for example, that 2011 movie took off the way WB wanted it to, there'd possibly be little to no chance of Hal getting replaced as main GL.

Agreed on Venditti doing a pretty good job balancing all the various Earth GLs. It's a shame EVS saddled the comic with that title, since the book wasn't really ever that, with the notable exceptions of one or two storylines that were just Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    You bring up the quantity of recent media, not the quality. Most of it is either bad, forgettable, cancelled prematurely, or he doesn't play a particularly huge or memorable role in it. Quite frankly, this has been great for Non-Hal fans, because if, for example, that 2011 movie took off the way WB wanted it to, there'd possibly be little to no chance of Hal getting replaced as main GL.
    I'm not so sure about that. Had that film been a huge hit, Reynolds would have no doubt passed the mantle onto John or Kyle in the subsequent films since he didn't particularly enjoy working on the first film. I think he would have done a couple sequels he was contractually obligated to do, then left the franchise in the hands of someone else.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This cartoon was awesome. Full stop.
    This is all I hear and I just can't get past the CGI. I've yet to really dive into the show and all I hear is its praises.

Anyone here who loves the show but hated the initial look? How long did it take you to get used to it? I want to give the show a fair shot and knowing it has a 2-3 episode acclimation period may help.

But going in cold? I just can't do it with the CGI. Sometimes CGI doesn't bug me, but it does when I see clips from GL:TAS.

Sell me, boys. I want to love again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    I'm hoping they're done with the "main GL" stuff for the time being. Put the spotlight on whoever they like based on what stories they want to tell, but never put all their eggs into one basket again and ignoring everyone else. Otherwise you'll encounter the same problems and the same fan reactions. This franchise isn't capable of sustaining all of its characters at once, but it's also structured in a way where you can't depend on one character forever. It's never worked like that. Any kind of "replacement" will always be temporary due to its fluctuating nature. There won't ever be a "main GL" for decades and decades regardless of who the corporate machine decides to get behind.

I think perhaps that's what Redjack meant when he said that people are crazy to think DC will ever get rid of Hal. That's why I thought his tweets about Hal being "useless" were odd, because if he's useless why did DC feel the need to go to the lengths they did to take him out of the picture. You shouldn't feel the need to go through all the trouble of character assassinating someone you consider to be a useless or non-marketable entity. You shouldn't feel the need to take a supposedly useless character's stories, friends or villains and give them to other characters instead. Given DC's past history with the character, what more can they do to him to sideline him permanently anyway. Even Morrison seems to be joking about that every other issue in his run.

Last edited by Johnny; 12-06-2020 at 11:26 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm hoping they're done with the "main GL" stuff for the time being. Put the spotlight on whoever they like based on what stories they want to tell, but never put all their eggs into one basket again and ignoring everyone else. Otherwise you'll encounter the same problems and the same fan reactions. This franchise isn't capable of sustaining all of its characters at once, but it's also structured in a way where you can't depend on one character forever. It's never worked like that. Any kind of "replacement" will always be temporary due to its fluctuating nature. There won't ever be a "main GL" for decades and decades regardless of who the corporate machine decides to get behind.

I think perhaps that's what Redjack meant when he said that people are crazy to think DC will ever get rid of Hal. That's why I thought his tweets about Hal being "useless" were odd, because if he's useless why did DC feel the need to go to the lengths they did to take him out of the picture. You shouldn't feel the need to go through all the trouble of character assassinating someone you consider to be a useless or non-marketable entity. You shouldn't feel the need to take a supposedly useless character's stories, friends or villains and give them to other characters instead. Given DC's past history with the character, what more can they do to him to sideline him permanently anyway. Even Morrison seems to be joking about that every other issue in his run.

Such a rad moment. Morrison's Hal is pretty bonkers and I'm here for it. Playing cosmic billiards will forever be a top 5 Hal moment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This is all I hear and I just can't get past the CGI. I've yet to really dive into the show and all I hear is its praises.

Anyone here who loves the show but hated the initial look? How long did it take you to get used to it? I want to give the show a fair shot and knowing it has a 2-3 episode acclimation period may help.

But going in cold? I just can't do it with the CGI. Sometimes CGI doesn't bug me, but it does when I see clips from GL:TAS.

Sell me, boys. I want to love again.
    It took Timm a few episodes to get used to the CGI, too. I would just start watching it and if you don't fall in love with the show and its characters after Mogo shows up, it's just not for you.