Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'm someone who generally prefers CG to traditional 2D but there is some short comings with it in the show (mainly any setting set on Earth looks like something from the early 90s and it's definitely below something like the Star Wars Clone Wars show) but most of the show is set in space/alien planets so it's not too much a problem. And I mostly think Timm's style actually translates well to 3D CGI so the characters models always looked decent to me.

Man, that Sapphire costume just gets worse the more time goes on.
    It is peak 2000s horniness lmao.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Worked in manga, cant see why they couldn't try lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This is all I hear and I just can't get past the CGI. I've yet to really dive into the show and all I hear is its praises.

Anyone here who loves the show but hated the initial look? How long did it take you to get used to it? I want to give the show a fair shot and knowing it has a 2-3 episode acclimation period may help.

But going in cold? I just can't do it with the CGI. Sometimes CGI doesn't bug me, but it does when I see clips from GL:TAS.

Sell me, boys. I want to love again.
    I think by the standards of TV CGI, it looks pretty darn good, but I don't mind CG as much as other people.

It looks better than a lot of CG anime on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    very true
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think by the standards of TV CGI, it looks pretty darn good, but I don't mind CG as much as other people.

It looks better than a lot of CG anime on Netflix.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I thought the CG on "GL:TAS" looked really good - a lot better than "Beware the Batman." The designs, textures and animation of the characters were really good, imo. It didn't have those stiff mannequin CG performances that you see a lot now in "modern anime" series.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    You bring up the quantity of recent media, not the quality. Most of it is either bad, forgettable, cancelled prematurely, or he doesn't play a particularly huge or memorable role in it.
    It doesn't matter what your opinion on the quality is. Fact of the matter is for a long time now, when there's been a mass media project starring the Green Lantern, Hal was the go-to choice and the one WB and DC were both heavily pushing as the face of the brand. Hell, John didn't even get to appear at all in the animated series, and don't even get me started on how rarely Kyle appears in anything outside of comics. I don't bring this up to pit characters against each other; I find stuff like that obnoxious and I tend to get shouted down whenever I say that the John Stewart thread is veering into bashing other Lanterns like Jessica Cruz. It's just a fact that Hal has been the one that received the most promotion, the most prominence and the heaviest push from editorial.

That's not a bad thing, I only bring it up because in the face of all that, the idea that the company doesn't like Hal Jordan or is planning to let him be sidelined or crapped on to build up other Lanterns is, frankly, absurd. We've seen this over and over again with Barry Allen in the Flash franchise as well. Regardless of how well some other writers try to treat Wally, Barry will always be the golden boy because he's the one the company has decided is the face of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I'm hoping they're done with the "main GL" stuff for the time being. Put the spotlight on whoever they like based on what stories they want to tell, but never put all their eggs into one basket again and ignoring everyone else. Otherwise you'll encounter the same problems and the same fan reactions. This franchise isn't capable of sustaining all of its characters at once, but it's also structured in a way where you can't depend on one character forever. It's never worked like that. Any kind of "replacement" will always be temporary due to its fluctuating nature. There won't ever be a "main GL" for decades and decades regardless of who the corporate machine decides to get behind.

I think perhaps that's what Redjack meant when he said that people are crazy to think DC will ever get rid of Hal. That's why I thought his tweets about Hal being "useless" were odd, because if he's useless why did DC feel the need to go to the lengths they did to take him out of the picture. You shouldn't feel the need to go through all the trouble of character assassinating someone you consider to be a useless or non-marketable entity. You shouldn't feel the need to take a supposedly useless character's stories, friends or villains and give them to other characters instead. Given DC's past history with the character, what more can they do to him to sideline him permanently anyway. Even Morrison seems to be joking about that every other issue in his run.
    I feel like there's way too much overreaction about this writer. I think DC is already learning from their mistakes when it comes to the "main GL".

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    It doesn't matter what your opinion on the quality is.
    Your subjective idea of who has it better, and how they have it better, also doesn't matter.
    Last edited by TheBatman; 12-07-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Your subjective idea of who has it better, and how they have it better, also doesn't matter.
    but it's not subjective, the rest of the post (ya know, the parts you cut out) pointed out the objective reality of the franchise for the last couple decades. if the point of these characters is to be used in narrative, and one characters is used more regularly, pushed more prominently, and literally considered the face of the narrative space they inhabit, it's cognitive dissonance to see that as anything but "having it better". if Hal Jordan hasn't had a strong promotional run these last couple decades please tell me which Lantern has. Kilowog? yeah, that new Kilowog movie was crazy bruh.

you know what, probably shouldn't have replied. these debates are consistently and exclusively pointless.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-07-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    but it's not subjective, the rest of the post (ya know, the parts you cut out) pointed out the objective reality of the franchise for the last couple decades. if the point of these characters is to be used in narrative, and one characters is used more regularly, pushed more prominently, and literally considered the face of the narrative space they inhabit, it's cognitive dissonance to see that as anything but "having it better". if Hal Jordan hasn't had a strong promotional run these last couple decades please tell me which Lantern has. Kilowog? yeah, that new Kilowog movie was crazy bruh.

you know what, probably shouldn't have replied. these debates are consistently and exclusively pointless.
    Anyone who claims knowledge of "objective reality" is sus. There are other ways to interpret "objective reality" but this is a *fan* site - objectivity is implicitly not the point of this space. Can you "objectively" deny that Hal has been made the butt of jokes and not featured as prominently since his disappointing movie? (you mention the "past couple decades" just to ignore the shift that happened after the movie - I see that)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Sidebar, holy shit a Kilowag movie. That would be tops.

"Kilowag" makes me think of a cute Kilowog puppy .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Kilowag" makes me think of a cute Kilowog puppy .
    Kilowog*

I must be thinking the same. Still haven't recovered from finding out Krypto's in the ground in Future State.

In this instance, it does. Hal has had it better than the other Lanterns and most likely will continue to do so. Cutting out most of my response doesn't negate that. If someone can explain to me how the other Lanterns have had it better than Hal the past 15 years, I'm all ears.

Now I gotta pour one out for Michael Clarke Duncan.
    Last edited by Holt; 12-07-2020 at 11:02 PM.