Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Now I gotta pour one out for Michael Clarke Duncan.
    Alien GLs were easily the best casting out of that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sidebar, holy **** a Kilowag movie. That would be tops.
    as I was typing it I was like "....I actually would like a Kilowog movie". can't we start the campaign to make Kilowog the flagship Lantern? Kilowog is never problematic. if there are two Lanterns that everybody loves, it's Kilowog and Mogo; ok, I may be projecting with Mogo (I love Mogo).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oooo, Live and Let Die is always great rewatch, esspecially when you consider that it exists in the same universe as the Christopher Reeve Superman movies via Sherrif Pepper!
    I had no idea. That's awesome. I'm a Connery man myself so the initial salvo of Dr. No >> From Russia With Love (still the best, fight me) >> Goldfinger is really strong, warts and all. There's some Moore clunkers I'm debating skipping and it's going to be hard not just seeing Niles Caulder when I get to License to Kill

John Stewart is getting to headline the Green Lantern comic for the first time since 1986 and it's being written by a guy who is clearly passionate about the character. That is something worth setting aside past grievances to focus on what looks to be a bright future that is at least trying to avoid and correct the mistakes of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    amen and amen again, preach!
    This.

Moreover, without Tomasi, Guy wouldn't have taken off like he did. Gibbons was doing an offshoot of the JLI stuff. I understand John needed love but it's not like Guy was just basking in a strong publication history before Tomasi helped take that run and really roll with it. That's currently what's on the table for John: a renaissance for the character. Guy was pretty much a male Karen/Republican parody who occasionally showed some humanity, usually when it came to Ice. He wasn't in good shape before Tomasi outside of being there for a laugh. It's a bit disingenuous to ask someone to champion their favorite underserved Lantern and begrudge a writer for doing just that.

I'm glad John is getting his long over-due time in the limelight. I'm glad it's at the hands of someone who loves the character and isn't just in it because they needed work. And like how Tomasi clearly was most interested in writing Guy Gardner, I will not begrudge the current team if their focus is primarily John and the other Lanterns are absent or just there to support John's story-- because that's perfectly in-line with how other GLs were in the runs that featured other characters. It's okay. I love Guy and am content in knowing he will likely never get a starring role in a solo comic, probably not even a duo team-up like GLC. In the upcoming show, it's a heavily adapted (complete with the Guggenheim monkey's paw) version of Guy who I can only pray comes across alright. Live action is really the only thing Guy has over John and it's 100% because they have bigger plans for John. I really can't stand Guggenheim and he may give me the only live action Guy in my lifetime. You can't grease that pill enough to make it easy to swallow.

It's finally John's time to shine and it feels like everyone is looking for excuses to cross our arms and be angry about how dare it not happen until now instead of finally being happy it's happening. Yes, he deserved another shot long ago. That time is gone. Today we know he's getting another one. Dope. Can't wait to read the issue. I don't care if Alan, Kyle, Guy, Jess or Simon have had more recent chances to shine in team/their own books. It's John's time. Finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Man, that Sapphire costume just gets worse the more time goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It is peak 2000s horniness lmao.
    Hot take, but Star Sapphire's never had a good one that I can recall. But yes, you really did put it as eloquently as it warrants, you mad lad. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    as I was typing it I was like "....I actually would like a Kilowog movie". can't we start the campaign to make Kilowog the flagship Lantern? Kilowog is never problematic. if there are two Lanterns that everybody loves, it's Kilowog and Mogo; ok, I may be projecting with Mogo (I love Mogo).
    I would love it too but he went deep in the USSR kool-aid once so even Kilowog is a minefield today, Poozer.

But I'd brave that minefield with you to see that movie.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-07-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Yeah, I really don't understand the level of in-fighting and hostility in the fanbase. I mean, I do, I just wish it weren't the case.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I had no idea. That's awesome. I'm a Connery man myself so the initial salvo of Dr. No >> From Russia With Love (still the best, fight me) >> Goldfinger is really strong, warts and all. There's some Moore clunkers I'm debating skipping and it's going to be hard not just seeing Niles Caulder when I get to License to Kill
    Live and Let Die is one of the more restrained Moore Bonds while also bat$#!* crazy with voodoo and supernatural powers. You'll love it if you view it as a spinoff of Donner's Superman movies, who were written by the same guy.

By the way, I forgot to mention that Guy Gardner got a great showing in the GL:TAS as well, with Deitrich Balder voicing him. Easily my favorite depiction of Guy outside of the comics.

Hot take, but Star Sapphire's never had a good one that I can recall. But yes, you really did put it as eloquently as it warrants, you mad lad. lol
    I liked the original Silver Age one, maybe add some black to legs so it maybe parallels a GL uniform more but I think it could still work.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Anyone who claims knowledge of "objective reality" is sus. There are other ways to interpret "objective reality" but this is a *fan* site - objectivity is implicitly not the point of this space. Can you "objectively" deny that Hal has been made the butt of jokes and not featured as prominently since his disappointing movie? (you mention the "past couple decades" just to ignore the shift that happened after the movie - I see that)
    Summed it up better than I could've.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    Any proof of that? instead of believing Bleeding Cool rumors?
    Believing Bleeding Cool just saved time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Believing Bleeding Cool just saved time.
    huh, what rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Anyone who claims knowledge of "objective reality" is sus. There are other ways to interpret "objective reality" but this is a *fan* site - objectivity is implicitly not the point of this space. Can you "objectively" deny that Hal has been made the butt of jokes and not featured as prominently since his disappointing movie? (you mention the "past couple decades" just to ignore the shift that happened after the movie - I see that)

I liked the original Silver Age one, maybe add some black to legs so it maybe parallels a GL uniform more but I think it could still work.
    I liked her Justice League cartoon outfit as well. But yeah, most of her outfits have not been good.

I thought her GL:TAS look was good too.
    Respect the thigh-high boots .
    By the way, I forgot to mention that Guy Gardner got a great showing in the GL:TAS as well, with Deitrich Balder voicing him. Easily my favorite depiction of Guy outside of the comics.
    He was also pretty pitch-perfect in the Brave and the Bold cartoon, and I think his voice their was closer to his comic voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    But Johnny, before the failure of the 2011 film, he was featured prominently. He's been featured more than other Green Lanterns. And I don't understand the butt of jokes comment. Are you trying to say when Hal acted that way, TPTB didn't like the character? If that's the case, then why would they add him in the first place? I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I liked her Justice League cartoon outfit as well. But yeah, most of her outfits have not been good.
    That was a good one, though reminds me how I wished they went a bit more into her rather than just her kind of popping up and apparently having a beef with GLs.

I didn't think the New 52 one was bad if a bit bland but I guess anything was better over the pre-Flashpoint suit by that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

He was also pretty pitch-perfect in the Brave and the Bold cartoon, and I think his voice their was closer to his comic voice.
    Hmm, maybe for a more JLI-era 80s Guy but I think Bader's pretty pitch perfect for the modern Guy. Like with LaMarr for John and Keaton for Hal for me.

That was a good one, though reminds me how I wished they went a bit more into her rather than just her kind of popping up and apparently having a beef with GLs.

I didn't think the New 52 one was bad if a bit bland but I guess anything was better over the pre-Flashpoint suit by that point.
    I don't hate the New 52 look (even if bodysuits are a dime-a-dozen).
    Hmm, maybe for a more JLI-era 80s Guy but I think Bader's pretty pitch perfect for the modern Guy. Like with LaMarr for John and Keaton for Hal for me.
    I can't ever imagine Guy without that distinctive Boston accent .