Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

it's colorist Marte Gracia for me

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cerridwen View Post
    That's a really good answer

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Certainly, art is important but when you read the story, you are immersed in the story… so being able to appreciate an artwork is done later.

And most of talent of a comic artist is in the choice of point of views, the transition between panels, the pace of the narration, the capacity to draw anything, to convey feelings… all things that are not obvious at first glance. It’s not a small amount of job and skills.
    The best artist/writer teams meld their respective contributions together so well that you appreciate both simultaneously. The art is the story - but I'll be first to admit that this isn't as common as it should be.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    They're responsible for the design work on the various concepts synonymous with Krakoa now, right? No matter who draws any of those things, we'll always be reminded of the guys who designed them and drew them first so beautifully.
    Which is exactly why we won't get to keep them, I hate anytime the X-men get truly great artists who elevate their titles. They're almost immediately switched out and assigned to another series, I hope we get to keep Larraz/Silva at least for the big X-men events they add so much life to the titles.

Additionally, I miss Immonen his work with Bendis was spectacular, it's one of the reasons I love Silva's work they are so similar to me. Although I feel like in HOX/POX and the X-men issue he did, he's finding his own signature style whereas before I thought Silva was extremely similar to Immonen but a tad bit sloppier.

Yes!!!
    10 char

BANNED

It's Land.

Deal with that pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    The best artist/writer teams meld their respective contributions together so well that you appreciate both simultaneously. The art is the story - but I'll be first to admit that this isn't as common as it should be.
    I appreciate the art and the story when I’m engrossed in the story, that’s true but in the past there were no Gregg Land. Not one single comic artist was that bad. For me, the Byrne, Sienkiewicz, Buscema, Cockrum were normal, standard comic artists. You ought to be quite good to make a comic. It was the norm. There were less talentuous artists but I didn’t see that much the difference as they were good enough for me to enjoy the story.

It’s only when I see bad doers when I realise all the qualities you must have to be a good honest comic artist… and I’m happy to be able to reread old issues and I appreciate them to their fair value.
    Last edited by Zelena; 10-13-2020 at 01:42 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    Who in your opinion are the most impactful artists on X-Men books since 2010? To give you some idea, 2010 is the era of Second Coming

I bet you Greg Land and Chris Bachalo have drawn the most X-Books since 2010. Bachalo, going back to his Generation X days, has to be considered a definitive X-Artist at this point. He's been with the line through many iterations and his work during the Bendis era has proved especially long lasting design wise.

So Bachalo is on the list I think.

Jerome Opena is a personal favorite of mine. I'm not sure his work on Uncanny X-Force was substantial enough to merit placement on the list but I adored his work. Mark Brooks is another artist from that run that I love and whose initial image of HOXPOX was iconic.

Does Copiel make the list? House of M, AvX, Brian Wood's first four X-Men issues....I'm not sure it does.

I think Stuart Immonen would have to make the list based on his talent and the way his art is the new house style for the X-books I would argue. Everyone from Larraz to Silva to Asrar are following in Immonen's footsteps (this is not meant as an insult - Larraz in particular is quickly on his way to surpassing even Immonen).

I really cannot think of who has impacted the line more than Bachalo or Immonen in this decade? Which is funny because while both are amazing artists, they are not the type I most associate with X-Men which were so defined by the semi perfect draftsmenship of Byrne, Smith and Lee.

Who am I forgetting? Who has made a lasting impression on you and on the line?
    I like the era, for me 2010 and soon after had the best artists Coipiel ( some issues in AvX),Mann(Age of X), Jerome Opena(X-Force), Clayton Crain(Necrosha) that era was just a blast and there were others in the mix Jorge Molina,Will Conrad,Ken Lashley,Simone Bianchi...I don't know when Marte Gracia started doing X-Men related titles, I presume around 2013...but yeah I wish Clay Mann could come back. Mann,Opena and Crain are my faves well at least before Pepe Larraz came along

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    I gotta say, I really like Pepe Larraz's work. Only criticism I have is that it is the same female face on each female character. While it's true everyone has their own style, I feel like the male faces are all different, but the female faces are exactly the same and you have to rely on context/coloring/uniform to get who is who.
    Hehe Terry Dodson has the same issue but his problem is he draws weird jaws and cheekbones, they work well for male characters and just look weird on females

Low key the true hero of HoX/PoX.

BANNED

Mahmud Asrar he did Ultimate, Bendis, Red and now Hickman. Really important artist

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    Mahmud Asrar he did Ultimate, Bendis, Red and now Hickman. Really important artist
    he also did Wolverine and the X-men

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    he also did Wolverine and the X-men
    Good thinking, baxer and Havok83! Asrar has done his fair share of X-Men books, all the while getting better and better. I hope he sticks around a long time and gets to redesign some more characters as I love what he did for Storm, Marvel Girl and Psylocke (I seem to recall her first post-British costume was his?)

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Low key the true hero of HoX/PoX.
    Quoted for truth. Mind you, both Larraz and Silva are amazing artists, but they had been working for a while even before HOX/POX and I don't think it's a coincidence they truly rose to stardom only after their pencils were graced by Gracia's colouring wonders.

BANNED

Considering we're talking about the timespan since Second Coming, it has to be Larraz and Silva, with maybe Bachalo and Immonen following closely behind. No one else contributed as much as Larraz and Silva in terms of concepts, which are about the current era.

It's kinda sad to think about how much Land traced for the X-Men. Thankfully he's too busy staining Spider-Man and Fortnite comics now.