Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

They were less stingy on the types of genres the heroes could appear in. (Most of the time anyways. I still think it was a lost opportunity for Tinkerer to be an alien and the Green Goblin to be a monster.)

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Psychedelic Dr Strange
    And psychodelic Adam Warlock as well.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

What I liked about Marvel of the 60s and 70s is that the X-Men were pretty much forced to deal with society and affect change by working within the system like every single minority group has done since the country was created.

The overall balance of powers was better for me...with say some non human entities like Galactus, the Watcher...being much more powerful than any human hero.

It just felt “logical” in that some entities...millions of years more advanced would be like that, and actually showcased the courage of the human heroes sometimes going up against impossible odds.

My choice would definitely be those corner boxes with all the Marvel characters on the top of the covers...
    https://www.cbr.com/thinking-outside...box-cover-art/

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-06-2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Technically, Kitty was running from a N'astirh demon, but yeah, like the Brood, it was straight out of Alien, and unapologetically so.
    Stop twirling your mustache while you mock my spotty memory vile fiend!

...wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    More mustache-twirling villains like Count Nefaria or Arcade. Sometimes it's okay for villains to be silly (as opposed to annoyingly campy like Sinister).
    ...okay, continue twirling, DrNewGod (i can imagine Stan Lee coming up w. a moniker like that)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    My choice would definitely be those corner boxes with all the Marvel characters on the top of the covers...
    https://www.cbr.com/thinking-outside...box-cover-art/

Yes! I loved the cover boxes as a kid - they made Marvel covers more fun than DC covers. I don't know why, they just did.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    They were less stingy on the types of genres the heroes could appear in. (Most of the time anyways. I still think it was a lost opportunity for Tinkerer to be an alien and the Green Goblin to be a monster.)
    The Green Goblin was a monster. Just not the sort you mean.

occasional cameos by real life people.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

More ridiculous covers instead of generic pose pieces.
    "Cable was right!"

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I loved those!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

There are bunch of Avengers issues where the corner box was just the Vision. I loved those.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    There are bunch of Avengers issues where the corner box was just the Vision. I loved those.
    I was the other way - I didn't like those because I liked seeing the line-up displayed in the box. I used to like to compare the cover boxes to each other.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Nothing. Contemporary comics are generally better in every aspect. Modern events can be a bit much, but even then, as long as they are conceptually interesting and well executed I don't have a problem with them.

A lot of what people are pointing out in this thread is still done, although sometimes in a slightly different form. Pop culture references are still made, but they are made about contemporary pop culture, including memes. Often when writers do this they are given a heap of **** from "classic" comics fans.

Cameos from real world people still happen, Heinberg, Chueng, Gillen, and McKelvie were all in Empyre. Claremont and Byrne were in X-Force.

Corner boxes have been replaced by cast pages, and make covers less cluttered.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I was the other way - I didn't like those because I liked seeing the line-up displayed in the box. I used to like to compare the cover boxes to each other.
    Yeah those corner boxes were great.
    I always wanted Marvel to put out a portfolio of those things covering their history!