Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I like to hear your thought.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 10-05-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Spectacular Member

Those little boxes that told you what back issue something occurred in. I think they're now considered confusing and intimidating but I always loved them and felt inspired to track down old stories because of them

Extraordinary Member

Psychedelic Dr Strange

Boisterously Confused

Tell a story in every issue, even in ongoing arcs, rather than present decompressed segments of the eventual collected edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    Those little boxes that told you what back issue something occurred in. I think they're now considered confusing and intimidating but I always loved them and felt inspired to track down old stories because of them
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Tell a story in every issue, even in ongoing arcs, rather than present decompressed segments of the eventual collected edition.
    This.

Also, having word balloons on the cover, secret identities, regular human supporting casts, heroes that could fight each other and still be heroes at the end, and "he couldn't possibly have survived" ending rather than just deaths.

Astonishing Member

Less fixation with MU-wide crossovers.

Not sure what you’d call them but I’d like to see the character header back on the first page of the books.

Also bi-monthly books for a few select characters, Marvel Team Up or Two in One done the right way, w. one main character (the next generation of Spidey and Ben Grimm). Maybe bring back Strange Tales.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Not sure what you’d call them but I’d like to see the character header back on the first page of the books.

Also bi-monthly books for a few select characters, Marvel Team Up or Two in One done the right way, w. one main character (the next generation of Spidey and Ben Grimm). Maybe bring back Strange Tales.
    Ooo! Yes!

Make room for some characters by alleviating their need to sell 12 issues a year.

I also loved the anthology titles. It takes a different kind of story-telling, but Dr. Strange, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Iron Man had some ripping adventures when they had only half an issue to work with. But then, if you cut the decompression out, there's room for at least two features per issue in most modern comics.

Ongoings for characters like Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, Ghost Rider that actually lasted more than 20 issues.

Boisterously Confused

Have some fun with pop culture. A lot of early Marvel cribbed cheesy sci-fi and horror cinema pretty hard, in a delightful way. For that matter, Claremont lifted from classic sci-fi tv and cinema often and effectively (Star Wars and Alien being especially prominent).

Somewhere in the 1980s, The Big Two seemed to start taking themselves far too seriously as creative outlets. Not everything need be "Born Again" or "Demon In A Bottle."

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Have some fun with pop culture. A lot of early Marvel cribbed cheesy sci-fi and horror cinema pretty hard, in a delightful way. For that matter, Claremont lifted from classic sci-fi tv and cinema often and effectively (Star Wars and Alien being especially prominent).

Somewhere in the 1980s, The Big Two seemed to start taking themselves far too seriously as creative outlets. Not everything need be "Born Again" or "Demon In A Bottle."
    Hear hear!
    I remember Ben Grimm in the Saturday Night Fever white suit, Kitty Pryde running from a Brood alien in the X Mansion, Spidey teaming up w. The Not Ready for Primetime Players...

More mustache-twirling villains like Count Nefaria or Arcade. Sometimes it's okay for villains to be silly (as opposed to annoyingly campy like Sinister).
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Hear hear!
    I remember Ben Grimm in the Saturday Night Fever white suit, Kitty Pryde running from a Brood alien in the X Mansion, Spidey teaming up w. The Not Ready for Primetime Players...
    Technically, Kitty was running from a N'astirh demon, but yeah, like the Brood, it was straight out of Alien, and unapologetically so.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    More mustache-twirling villains like Count Nefaria or Arcade. Sometimes it's okay for villains to be silly (as opposed to annoyingly campy like Sinister).
    In fairness, as originally concieved, Mr. Sinister was supposed to be over the top because he was the projection of a disturbed mind trapped in its childhood. Still, what lesser writers did was indeed annoying.

The non-existence of "events".
    The wider diversity of characters, A, B and C level types, all getting shots at ongoings.