Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Halloween Musings

Ever notice how it's always a Haunted Mansion? Never a Haunted Cozy 3BR Bungalow.

Guess you can't build up enough existential tragedy to reach beyond the grave with less than 15,000 square feet of maneuvering room and some gargoyles for ambiance.

The thought of the super-rich & super-elite being cursed by Eldritch horror delights me considerably. It's almost as if their being punished for something the did in the past.

Boisterously Confused

At this time of year, at least where I live, owls begin calling. The fact that ornithology tells us that they're just soliciting a booty call in no way diminishes the idea that their song heralds Sammhain.

My father and I have had the same routine for Halloween for many years. We watch Horror movies. And I mean the good horror movies. The old Universal monster movies. Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolf Man All the classics. We wake up at like five Am and have a big breakfast then start the movies. Mid day we order pizza. We kill ourselves on candy. The best part is we live in the country so no little vagabonds in costumes asking for handouts. We stay up uitil like 3 or four in the morning then sleep all day on the first.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I don't care how many times I've seen it, I have to watch the 1978 "Halloween" with Jamie Lee Curtis.

This year, with working from home due to Covid, I've been able to watch a few good movies already. "Halloween", "The Exorcist", "The Shining", "The Conjuring".

I live in the city, and Halloween basically doesn’t exist anymore.

Sure, some pumpkins, some carved, some not. Minor decorations scattered here and there. But you wouldn’t really know it from just taking a casual look around. I remember it being much better when I was younger.

This year, it’s especially bad.

When it comes to "It's Not Like The Old Days..."

I can usually just chalk a lot of that up to that kids nowadays are essentially living in an almost completely different world.

- It's not just ABC/CBS/NBC/UHF/VHF.
    - Social media makes it a different thing that trucking over to your grandmom's on Halloween.
    - Things kids can do together by way of the interwebs.

While I do agree that something is lost when you lessen the human interaction(typed while posting on an internet message board...), "Better..." might not be it exactly.

All that said...

I hit GWAR's Halloween shows for about four years running from twenty on out. Having Captain America and Spiderman ask you if that is the usual Neurosis set is certainly a memory to have.

The way that fake blood smelled too.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My father and I have had the same routine for Halloween for many years. We watch Horror movies. And I mean the good horror movies. The old Universal monster movies. Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolf Man All the classics. We wake up at like five Am and have a big breakfast then start the movies. Mid day we order pizza. We kill ourselves on candy. The best part is we live in the country so no little vagabonds in costumes asking for handouts. We stay up uitil like 3 or four in the morning then sleep all day on the first.
    That's neat. If it's not already on your list, add The Mummy (Karloff version).

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I live in the city, and Halloween basically doesn’t exist anymore.

Sure, some pumpkins, some carved, some not. Minor decorations scattered here and there. But you wouldn’t really know it from just taking a casual look around. I remember it being much better when I was younger.

This year, it’s especially bad.
    That makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That's neat. If it's not already on your list, add The Mummy (Karloff version).
    It is there. We watch all the classics And Karloff was a master.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    All that said...

I hit GWAR's Halloween shows for about four years running from twenty on out. Having Captain America and Spiderman ask you if that is the usual Neurosis set is certainly a memory to have.

The way that fake blood smelled too.
    The Misfits used to do regular Halloween runs in & around the northeast doing local shows. Any reason for girls to dress up like catgirls/sexy witches is absolutely acceptable.

I live in a neighborhood that is not far from the downtown district here in Houston. The Halloween decorations began going up before September even ended. I'm talking about houses where the big inflatables went up overnight, etc. It's not quite as over-the-top as previous years; but there are people definitely making an effort give Halloween a decent face.

At the end of September, our neighborhood association began publicizing an organized social-distance Trick-or-Treat event for Halloween night. Houses that want to participate can leave their lights on (of some other obvious signal) and place a bowl of candy at the end of the driveway. We plan on participating; and will just hang out on the porch and wave to the neighborhood folks that walk by. It'n not a typical Halloween; but it's an effort to make it something fun.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    That makes me sad.
    Me as well, but to be fair, at this point I don't put anything up either.

I once stood on my lawn dressed as Jason for Halloween. When kids and or parents got too close or would look away, I’d move just enough for them to notice and freak out.

Good times.

We have a fairly lively Halloween in my small mountain town. Its pretty hilly so there is just one informally designated trick or treat area. My tradition is to go to a friends house in the middle of the area for a potluck dinner, sit with them, drink fireball/cider and hand out candy. The whole thing seems to still be happening this year so I am grateful for that. But there will probably be less trick or treaters this year.

The best part is that I am well outside of the trick or treat area, so never have to decorate or hand out candy at my house. No one ever comes by there.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.