Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    We have a fairly lively Halloween in my small mountain town. Its pretty hilly so there is just one informally designated trick or treat area. My tradition is to go to a friends house in the middle of the area for a potluck dinner, sit with them, drink fireball/cider and hand out candy. The whole thing seems to still be happening this year so I am grateful for that. But there will probably be less trick or treaters this year.

The best part is that I am well outside of the trick or treat area, so never have to decorate or hand out candy at my house. No one ever comes by there.

^^^its good your tradition’s still intact.

Not sure what our neighborhood’s doing yet (the wives usually plan things out and drag us husbands into their schemes). The good part is, all my kids are out of the house/can go out and do something on their own. I don’t have little ones to disappoint if things crap out.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 10-08-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Boisterously Confused

I posted a comment about The Rutland, VT Halloween Parade on Marvel Forum Thread. It is a minor regret that I have never experienced it. I first saw it in Avengers 119, and thought it neat, but didn't start to suspect it was for real until I read a reprint of Batman 237.

I wish I'd been able to see it in Fagan's heyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^its good your tradition’s still intact.

Not sure what our neighborhood’s doing yet (the wives usually plan things out and drag us husbands into their schemes). The good part is, all my kids are out of the house/can go out and do something on their own. I don’t have little ones to disappoint if things crap out.
    Yah mine are teenagers and pretty much do their own thing now. Thats why I can go have adult fun! And my wife pretty much sets things up - I just go over and hang with the other men whose wives arranged things.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Christmas and Halloween are the two holidays I go a little nuts over when it comes to decorating my home. I'll have to take some more pics tomorrow but this is my newest action figure

No, it's not Rudy Guiliani. it's a Toony Terror figure of Nosteratu. I was really excited to see this at Target last month. They have the usual like Jason Voorhies, Freddie Kruegar or Michael Myers. But this was special to me....I had never seen this done as an action figure. The silent film is one of my favorites. I had seen it on the old local PBS feature called "Silence Please", which showed only silent films on Sunday nights.

He really doesn't have much articulation though....but I like the rat that came with it.

Boisterously Confused

Death Becomes Her is a seriously underappreciated horror movie. The comedy gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah mine are teenagers and pretty much do their own thing now. Thats why I can go have adult fun! And my wife pretty much sets things up - I just go over and hang with the other men whose wives arranged things.
    ^^^ that’s usually my deal, too!

We’ve actually decided on kind of a spooky scavenger hunt in the neighborhood. The kids can be in family units or groups no larger than 3. Each group gets a Different route to take which’ll keep them all safely distanced. We’re gonna set up candy caches (large ones, to offset the fact they aren’t getting to hit up other neighborhoods) and we adults are going to deploy all over to scare the heck out of them throughout the night.

It’s honestly a logistical pain in the ass, but at least we thought of it early, so we have plenty of time to coordinate costumes, get candy, plan out routes and stuff. Should be fun I think!
    Last edited by Riv86672; 10-09-2020 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Christmas and Halloween are the two holidays I go a little nuts over when it comes to decorating my home. I'll have to take some more pics tomorrow but this is my newest action figure

No, it's not Rudy Guiliani. it's a Toony Terror figure of Nosteratu. I was really excited to see this at Target last month. They have the usual like Jason Voorhies, Freddie Kruegar or Michael Myers. But this was special to me....I had never seen this done as an action figure. The silent film is one of my favorites. I had seen it on the old local PBS feature called "Silence Please", which showed only silent films on Sunday nights.

He really doesn't have much articulation though....but I like the rat that came with it.

That is a seriously cool Nosferatu!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

We’ve actually decided on kind of a spooky scavenger hunt in the neighborhood. The kids can be in family units or groups no larger than 3. Each group gets a Different route to take which’ll keep them all safely distanced. We’re gonna set up candy caches (large ones, to offset the fact they aren’t getting to hit up other neighborhoods) and we adults are going to deploy all over to scare the heck out of them throughout the night.

It’s honestly a logistical pain in the ass, but at least we thought of it early, so we have plenty of time to coordinate costumes, get candy, plan out routes and stuff. Should be fun I think!
    That's a serious seal team 6 approach to collecting candy. Well done, sir

As I am not a Man without fear my He-Man costume, bought in April optimisticly, won't be dusted off till next year

For the past 20 something years, I always watch History Channel's "Haunted History of Halloween", either during the month of October or on Halloween itself. It begin as an assignment back in 7th grade, but now it's become a tradition. Sure, History Channel updated that special about a decade ago with "The Real Story of Halloween, but I enjoy the 90s version nonetheless. It's not just about the facts anymore, but the nostalgia. Takes me back to Halloween's back in junior high, college, grad school, and even abroad.

As for me, well, there have been new traditions. In the neighborhood where I live, the neighbors are really intent on decorations. As I type, my next door neighbor has hung his Jack O'Lantern decorations in his windows for a few weeks now. Folks all over the neighborhood have been putting decorations up. Still, I'm not sure if there's going to be trick or treating of any kind this year. In other towns here in NJ, they've allowed trick or treating, but lots of folks aren't going to be handing out candy any time soon.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    That's a serious seal team 6 approach to collecting candy. Well done, sir

As I am not a Man without fear my He-Man costume, bought in April optimisticly, won't be dusted off till next year
    If you can fill out a He-Man costume, you are a man who is buff!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

If you can fill out a He-Man costume, you are a man who is buff!
    Absolutely not.�� It came with a muscle suit. Just a regular guy.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    The Misfits used to do regular Halloween runs in & around the northeast doing local shows. Any reason for girls to dress up like catgirls/sexy witches is absolutely acceptable.
    This one reminded me...

Back then, one of Glenn's stage outfits was a skeleton shirt and a set of "Bone Hand..." gloves. One Halloween a lot of years ago, this little boy turns up in that exact outfit. I just told him that he could take as much candy as he could grab with both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Absolutely not.�� It came with a muscle suit. Just a regular guy.
    I was imagining you as a wavy haired John Cena!

That is a seriously cool Nosferatu!
    Seconded! And the rat is a little touch that could only have been added by someone familiar with the movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Just wondering, how do you pronounce "Halloween?" For me, I always pronounced the "Hall-" portion as, well, the word "hall." Y'know, like in the sentence "He ran down the hall."

A couple of years ago, I noticed people say that "Hall-" portion as "hal" like the computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey. No doubt, I understand where it comes from, "All Hallow's Eve," and such. But still, I'm tethered to my way and am not that inclined to change it soon.

In any case, how do you pronounce "Halloween?" Is my way a NY/NJ thing, or I'm just the only one who says it like that?
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."