• Peter Tomasi

25 29.07%
  • Scott Sndyer

17 19.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I agree. The Brave and the Mold is a fantastic issue. Cold Days was great too. I loved I Am Suicide.

King works really well in short form. Tight stories with strong craft and defined narrative goals. He can really cultivate such a strong aesthetic this way, too. The more drawn out his work gets, the more unwieldy. The later half of his BATMAN run was a mess and definitely lost sight of whatever it was trying to accomplish.

You're on the money there about his Batman being too far over the edge, too distrustful. I don't approach Batman that way at all, so it's really jarring.
    I think his Bat/Cat series will be better for that reason. it's a self contained 12 issue series, not too long and drawn out.

I'm also curious to see how he tackles Andrea. A Bruce and Selina being married mini-series that also brings in the Phantasm is a "shut up and take my money!" premise for me, but it's also post-HiC King so who knows what the actual execution will be like. I think his broad arc for his run is a pretty great idea, but it became a mess.

Scott Snyder all day long. Black Mirror was amazing and I hold up his Court of Owl saga as a modern Batman classic.

I really like Morrison and Tomosi's Batman as well to be fair...The less said about King's Batman the better as I don't think I have enough descriptive words to fully say how bad I think it is.

I have very few issues with Morrison’s run, I just wish they let it end as a pre 52 book. It really didn’t make sense in new 52 continuity.

I was blown away by Snyder with Black Mirror, but everything after that got worse and worse to me. Court of Owls’ ending was super weak, and the rest of his stories had excellent premises with very flawed execution. Every storyline in Snyder’s book felt like a huge event that set up drastic consequences, but never really went anywhere in his own run.

Tomasi has a really solid handle of the bat mythos, but I really hated his two face story during new 52. It was a truly awful reinvention of the character’s origin that never went anywhere.

I didn’t love Tom King’s dialogue, but there were a lot of great moments throughout his run. Some pretty low lows, but some fantastic highs.

For me it’s Morrison>King>Tomasi>Snyder.
    Books I’m pulling: Justice League Dark, Batman and the, Outsiders, Suicide squad, Daredevil, Tynion’s Batman, X-men, X-force, Marauders, Hellions, X-Factor, Three Jokers, Deceased Dead Planet

I believe I’ve said this elsewhere, but when Morrison was doing the last arc of Batman and Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne, and his 3 issue arc on Batman 700-702, it was the most fun I’ve ever had reading monthly comics.

So long as Morrison never touches Jason Todd again, he's fine.
    Snyder is okay, if over the top.
    Tomasi actually gives good character interactions between Damian and others.
    King... He soured Batman for me. Its going to take me a good while to actually get back into the main Batbook because of him. While I don't mind BatxCat, near everything else of that run was just off (at the least). Gotham Girl looks interesting! Turns out she's on Super Venom and working for Bane! Let's send a 13 year old boy to be hostage to a remorseless psychopath in "good spirit" for Alfred!

Yeah. King had good Dick moments, but with Dick being turned into "ric" for more than 1 issue (let alone 2 YEARS!), it was not worth it.

Fantastic Member Spencermalley935's Avatar

Scott Snyder wasn't always perfect but he did craft some quality Batman content (Court of Owls was great and Zero Year is one of my top three Riddler Stories), His main problem was that it felt like every main arc he wrote had to be this city-wide doomsday scenario where the entire city is in peril.

Peter Tomasi is excellent as well and his run on Batman & Robin is a high point in the New 52

Grant Morrison's run is a bit of an acquired taste but when it's good, It's really good. His Batman & Robin run is amazing and he did create Professor Pyg (Simon Hurt on the other hand is one of the most redundant villains in this history of the Rogues Gallery), I still like Morrison alot but not quite as much as the other two above him.

Tom King comes in last, I've liked some of his Batman/Catwoman stuff but his arcs dragged on too long and the War of Jokes and Riddles was honestly incomprehensible.

OP Question -

Grant Morrison is my choice, by far.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I believe I’ve said this elsewhere, but when Morrison was doing the last arc of Batman and Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne, and his 3 issue arc on Batman 700-702, it was the most fun I’ve ever had reading monthly comics.
    Yo make me want to reread his run again, you're totally right.

The beginning of his run started off with a bang and then kinda sagged with the whole Black Glove & 3 Batmen arc but then with R.I.P. it shot to the moon