57 66.28%
  • Peter Tomasi

25 29.07%
  • Scott Sndyer

17 19.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I have at least one problem with each of them. I'll come back later.
    I'll say this though... I have the most problem with King. So he's out.
    Wait is this about Batman the character, Batman the story, or Batman the franchise, as in how they're writing affect the other books and characters as well?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Morrison, no question for me. His run was a revelation, a true reinvention for the new era. It's also just damn fine Batman comics with a lot of love.

Snyder would be a second, from that list. King a third (if just for I AM SUICIDE and COLD DAYS).

Morrison, best Batman this side of Adam West.

I enjoyed the early parts of Snyder’s run and I’ve only read Tomasi’s Batman and Robin series, which I enjoyed but haven’t read his Batman solo stuff.

King was ok from what I was reading but I dropped his book after the Wonder Woman “Super Friends” story.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I have at least one problem with each of them. I'll come back later.
    I'll say this though... I have the most problem with King. So he's out.
    Wait is this about Batman the character, Batman the story, or Batman the franchise, as in how they're writing affect the other books and characters as well?
    Perhaps about the impact they had on Batman history, even though if it's true, kinda unfair to include Tomasi on there. For me Morrison's run have the biggest impact on Batman mythos.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Perhaps about the impact they had on Batman history, even though if it's true, kinda unfair to include Tomasi on there. For me Morrison's run have the biggest impact on Batman mythos.
    if it's Batman's history then it's Morrison hands down, yeah. He's the first one to introduce Everything is Canon and BatGod.

Morrison by a landslide.

Snyder would be the second, he had some good moments with Batman in the wierd era of new 52. And he wrote The Black Mirror.

Don't know why Tomasi is here since he never wrote the main Batman book and was never the "head" of the franchise. But hey, i loved both of his Batman and Robin runs.

And last, Tom King.
    Last edited by Drako; 10-06-2020 at 06:18 AM.

BANNED

Tomasi is my favorite. His Batman & Robin remains the best batbook of recent years IMO. But for whatever reason I didn't love his Detective Comics, dropped it after the first arc.

Snyder had some good arcs especially early on, Black Mirror is a masterpiece, Court of Owls was good.

Morrison was hit and miss for me, King I don't like at all.

Yeah, Tomasi is great, but never really carried the torch, so I'm going to exclude him.

Morrison for sure comes out on top. His run is overly weird for me at some points, but its still pretty near the gold standard for me.

Snyder would be second. His Batman was like this over the top action movie, and I'm cool with it. It was fun. Not all of his arcs were great (wasn't a fan of DotF honestly), but some of them were great fun.

I love King, but I haven't read much of his Batman. What I have read felt a little disjointed and tryhard. Loved him on Grayson though. Some of my favorite issues were written by the man.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Morrison easily. The last time Batman was actually exciting and enjoyable to read about. The only drawback is that I did not used to like the Clown at Midnight Joker stuff, but I'm ok with it now as a temporary equivalent to the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh. All the new villains were just flashy designs and gimmicks, but at least they were cool gimmicks and I'd love to see more of them. And his Damian at least is great, despite my being iffy on the kid the rest of the time.

Never read Tomasi but by reputation, he always comes across as filler-y compared to the main output. First few trades of Snyder's run weren't that great so I never went back. King started off weird but overall interesting/strong and then just got weird the further it went.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I think he defined Batman "The Father" even moreso than Morrison
    Yeah, I'd say he did a lot to define Bruce and Damian's modern relationship and their dynamic as Batman and Robin, as well as defining modern Damian to some extent.

Morrison for me. His ending arcs were some of his best stuff imo, whereas Snyder and King kinda petered out and ended with whimpers. Tomasi’s B&R run was fine and enjoyable but not great imo. Morrison’s run wasn’t perfect, the Clown at Midnight is bad, if you’re going to have a prose issue the prose needs to be beyond reproach and that CGI artwork was godawful, but Batman, Inc. was some damn impactful and good comics for me. So much of Morrison’s stuff was picked up and used by his successors that he stands head and shoulders above the rest in terms of impact on the Bat Mythos.

Morrison, but for different reasons. I love the Batbooks right before Flashpoint. I enjoyed two Batmen. I think Dick’s dynamic as Damien’s Batman was a breath of fresh air. To have a “fun” Batman with a dark Robin was genius. Then, at the same time, Bruce was doing his thing in Batman Inc. I truly loved Morrison’s return to the yellow oval and how he made some of the more corny stuff canon in a darker way.

I also voted for Tomasi because I enjoy his Detective Comics. Really, I enjoy just about everything Tomasi does.

Morrison leading is understandable and I agree with even if I didn't actually like his run because he definitely defined Batman and all the writers after him tried to copy him. Tomasi being second though? That I don't understand and is a big no from me because his Batman was definitely the worst.

For me, I didn't like any of their runs, but I did like some arcs like Court of Owls and War of Jokes and Riddles who were easily my favourite stories from the main book of the 2010s.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Morrison and Snyder for me. I didn't like all of their stuff, but they definetly stand out.

I really like Tomasi, but he is never "the guy," he writes great stories that are enjoyable.

King was bland, drab, overlong, and flatout boring on Batman.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

Morrison brought back a favorite of mine but he also wrecked another favorite.

I likeSnyder's stuff (Duke and harper are great)

I like Tomasi's Damian

I only like 2 of King's stories. I am Gotham and the bachelorette party
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3