57 66.28%
  • Peter Tomasi

25 29.07%
  • Scott Sndyer

17 19.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Morrison, Tomasi, Snyder or King?

Batman has largely been defined by 4 writers the last 12 years: Grant Morrison, Peter Tomasi, Scott Snyder, and Tom King.

How would you personally rank the runs? Which is your favorite? Your least? And why?

For me it would be

1. Snyder - While I didn't love the end of the run, The Black Mirror, Court of Owls, and Year Zero are all in my top 10 Batman stories of all time. So I have to put him up here

2. Morrison - Highs and Lows. LOVE Batman and Robin. Don't love the end of Batman Incorporated. But just threaded with so many great moments. And what a wonderful concept that ALL of Batman is in continuity. Just a wonderful use of DC's history.

3. King - And I LOVE Tom King's writing. I think he's proven to be a truly great writer. But the last third of his run just...well it sucked. Everything after the Lee Weeks/Mr. Freeze arc is kind of a disaster in my opinion. And in the end it all took itself a little too seriously didn't it?

4. Tomasi - This seems unfair to Tomasi who actually has only done good work on Batman. His lows are perhaps the best among all four writers. He doesn't do bad stories. But he rarely does amazing ones. His Batman and Robin Pat Gleason run is fantastic but individual stories don't stand out the way the previous three writers managed.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Morrison for sure, but I love Tomasi. I think other than Morrison Tomasi really understands the father/son dynamic between Bruce and Damian.

Morrison's run will always be my favorite and then second would by Tomasi's Batman & Robin which is a great companion piece to Morrison.

I also love King, but I read him as totally unconnected with the larger DC universe and Bat-Family.

Snyder is bottom tier for me and reminds me of popcorn story telling that is a bit too immature for my taste.

I'm kinda obligated to say Snyder. Duke Thomas is the character that peaked my interest enough to draw me into comic books and Snyder's Endgame is the actual first story that I read through for DC comics. I love the sinister quasi-esoteric vibe of his run, the Joker, the Metals, the Courts of Owls, the long form mystery and the masterful say he built on his run all the way until it led into Dark Nights Metal; as a whole what he did with Batman is undeniably one of the best works in contemporary comics fiction. Granted, once he got to where he was going beyond Batman it's gets into some hit or miss territory, but the storytelling was very impressive when he was focused on Batman. His run is very popcorny, but I prefer that type of fun in comics, over say a movie, and I think Snyder just played to that child-like essence that this medium is built for. I haven't read his run but typically with Morrison it often reads too self-important, i can feeeel him telling the story and talking to me and it's annoying, while King it's like watching a Dark Multiverse or a Black Mirror version of Batman while he's doing all these arty flourishes to his narrative to try and trick you into thinking it's better than it is. however, there were some interesting risks and ideas in King's run that I really love and am glad he brought them into the canon. Snyder's more like I'm watching Saturday morning cartoons, and that works for me because that's how I was introduced to these characters: Batman the Animated series, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Batman Beyond, etc. Tomasi I haven't read either, but I have read some of Supersons and I think I read some of his work on Detective, I like Tomasi.

I didn't realize it was multiple choice, I meant to put a vote for Tomasi and Snyder
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Morrison, without a doubt, his run one of the best, if not the best in Batman's history. Also, I really love Tomasi, his Batman & Robin my favorite New 52 series and one of the favorite Batman runs as well.
    I have a conflicting opinion about Snyder, but his run is monumental and incredibly important for the mythology of the character, I cannot argue with that. But at the same time, I think Black Mirror is his best work on Batman, it is truly a masterpiece.
    Regarding King, well, I just don't like his Batman. I have a lot of respect for King, Mr. Miracle and Vision are masterpieces, and Grayson is great, but his writing of Batman usually could not somehow catch my attention. Boring and just not what I personally would like to see. But again, this is subjective.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Batman Inc was a beautiful conclusion to Pre-Flashpoint DC.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

I voted for Tomasi and Snyder.

Tomasi has the best writing in my opinion. His character work is top-notch and he created some of my favorite interactions between Bruce and Damien. I prefer his universe that he built with Patrick Gleason. I can read any adventure they create together.

Snyder has had some of the most epic stories and he has added so much to the overall mythos. Not all of his writing was the best, not all of his stories landed, but he did aim outside the box and beyond. He'll be remembered as one of the great story weavers of the Batman mythology.

Morrison also added so much to Batman's history but I'm not always a fan of his writing. King's work on Batman has been interesting. I'm still a year or so behind in his run. I don't have an opinion on it yet.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I'm interested to hear why some people would prefer King's take on the character over Tomasi, Morrison, and Snyder.

Astonishing Member

Grant Morrison by far. I love his 2006-2013 run on Batman. Meant to vote for Scott Snyder as well. Ditto for Tomasi. D'oh!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I'm interested to hear why some people would prefer King's take on the character over Tomasi, Morrison, and Snyder.
    Same here. King did some good stuff on Batman but most of it, I really didn't like.

Extraordinary Member

Tomasis stuff I like but it is hard to compare him with the others since he was never the writer of the main title and therefore writing mostly smaller stories.

Of the other ones I think Snyder was the best, he would some pretty great stories (court of the owls) even if I'm not a fan of his stuff with the Joker.

Morrison is not my cup of tee, his stuff was way to convoluted, and even while binge reading it was imo really hard to keep track what was actually going on.

Kings stuff is imo pretentious and absurdly decompressed crap with way to much filler.

I think if you remove any preconceived notion of what is Batman then one may enjoy his writing, I think that's why I always view his Batman as an alternate tale where Bruce is this weirdly over emotional adult that never really got away from the trauma of his parents death.

This can be jarring especially if you come from Morrison's Bruce who was a well adjusted and happy Batman. I mean there was an issue where Bruce Wayne was trolling message boards to throw people off the scent of Bruce being Batman.

King's Batman is similar to Snyder's Batman but only thematically because both writers are very melodramatic, but at least Snyder relied on the fact that his Batman was a young inexperienced Batman.

King's Batman always read as much older even though in continuity he shouldn't be

Not to be rude, but I'm interrested to read why you think Snyder's run is better than King. To me other than othe Owls Saga (in which the end pas bad), it was the worst Batman I ever got to read, and I've read a lot.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Did Tomasi really define Batman? His run always felt like second fiddle to whatever was going on in the main book
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 10-06-2020 at 05:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

Well, it's hard for me to put Tomasi on a par with Morrison, King and Snyder. They set the vector of development, and he followed them. B&R stands out because it is the best example of a personal story about Batman as a father. But I wonder how he would write the main title without having to be led by someone like Snyder.
    Still, he's the best writer for Damian (not counting Morrison). If DC had decided to give him the title, Tomasi would have been the number one option without any doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Did Tomasi really define Batman? His run always felt like second fiddle to whatever was going on in the main boo
    I think he defined Batman "The Father" even moreso than Morrison
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 10-06-2020 at 04:51 AM.