Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Are Your Thoughts on Kate Spencer Manhunter?

Manhunter has been described as a "critically acclaimed" and "fan favorite book". What makes this the case?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

The character and her supporting cast were excellent. She felt like such a lively character and Andreyko put so much energy into his run.

Overall a very good series.

I thought the first 25 ish issues were superb...but at some point think Marc (Andreyko) became concerned that comic was under cancellation pressure, and tried to do too many things too quickly.

And certainly think the One Year Later DC stunt did this particular series no favours.

Put t in context..I still think the later issues were good...but think if the earlier standards had been maintained the series would have been among DC’s very best.

Think a lot of what made series good was character of Kate...you could genuinely emphasise with her, and because she was a new character, it genuinely felt uncertain what way things would develop.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 10-06-2020 at 01:45 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Solid series, best take on Manhunter.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Solid series, best take on Manhunter.
    Kates Cool and all but... Event Leviathan is the best take ever on Manhunter it really... it truly spoke to the larger universe.

"Only on earth with its heroes, with its supermen and wonder women would the prescense of a manhunter be "no big deal"."

There was something tremendous about that series and about the sadness and gravity of Mark Shaw that really knocked it off the field.
    its too bad dc comics didn't follow up with that very well.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Extraordinary Member

With Iron Munroe no longer being in continuity, is he still her grandfather?

Also with Kate’s costume showing no skin, having the original Phantom Lady turn out to be her grandmother was ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    With Iron Munroe no longer being in continuity, is he still her grandfather?

Also with Kate’s costume showing no skin, having the original Phantom Lady turn out to be her grandmother was ironic.
    Did they ever establish if Kate was a meta or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Did they ever establish if Kate was a meta or not?
    Years since I read series..but I think it was clear by end of series that she was a meta, albeit no “obvious” super powers, just increased strength, agility, resilience. And certainly her son had exceptional strength at very young age.

I re-read her series earlier this year to see if I wanted to get rid of it on eBay. Turned out it's a definite "keeper" for me. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the title--it reminds me of what I love about comics, especially those that use DC history for exciting, new stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Manhunter has been described as a "critically acclaimed" and "fan favorite book". What makes this the case?
    I think maybe people liked that Kate was rougher around the edges and wasn't an idealistic or perfect hero. She murders criminals like the Vigilante (or the Punisher) but has a job and a kid, and she didn't suffer a traumatizing loss, so she's not crazy. She was kinda like DC's Jessica Jones. Sad to hear her upcoming mini has been scrapped.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I really enjoyed the last two issues of the series. They were a peak into the future of the DC Universe, and for a change, it was plausible that future could happen because they only focus on Kate Spencer, Mark Shaw, Obsidion and the DEO.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Easily one of the best written series DC has produced.
    Kate was portrayed as a well rounded character with Marc showing us all her facets - both good and bad.
    Plus, how many DC titles do you know of that highlighted characters such as a single mum superhero, a gay man who DIDN'T read as a horrific stereotype or window dressing, ties with both Golden Age characters AND Manhunters, DCU espionage divisions and more. Oh, and Shadow Thief, Dr Psycho and Phobia were SCARY!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I am late to the party as I just bought the series off ebay and am working my way through (issue 12 currently). I am blown away by the level of thought and the history in this series. Andreyko did an amazing job building not just Kate but her world and all those in it while incorporating her into the overall world of the DC universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Kates Cool and all but... Event Leviathan is the best take ever on Manhunter it really... it truly spoke to the larger universe.

"Only on earth with its heroes, with its supermen and wonder women would the prescense of a manhunter be "no big deal"."

There was something tremendous about that series and about the sadness and gravity of Mark Shaw that really knocked it off the field.
    its too bad dc comics didn't follow up with that very well.
    Respectfully disagree. The Archie Goodwin/Walt Simonson Manhunter series will NEVER be surpassed in terms of quality (in my opinion, of course). For those of you too young to have seen this when it first came out, it has been reprinted numerous times and you should have no problem scoring a copy.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

There's a scene in (I think) the first issue where Kate lights her cigarette on her stove top....and that moment right there is when I became a fan. I had done the same thing myself many times (this was before I quit smoking) and I'd never seen anyone in comics do that. It was such a honest, human moment and I knew that Kate wasn't just another comic book character, but was a person who did real people things and was informed by real people actions, and Andreyko had created something special.

Some of y'all are probably reading this and wondering what the hell is wrong with me But that scene, that stupid, inconsequential scene, crystalized Kate's humanity in my mind. You don't write a scene like that without having done it yourself, and it instantly gave Kate dimension and depth and helped make her someone I could relate to.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.