View Poll Results: Which was the worst event?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secret Wars 2

8 8.25%
  • Onslaught

1 1.03%
  • Fear Itself

7 7.22%
  • Age of Ultron

10 10.31%
  • Axis

7 7.22%
  • Civil War 2

38 39.18%
  • Secret Emire

8 8.25%
  • Avengers Vs. X-Men

14 14.43%
  • Other

4 4.12%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Which was the worst Mega cross over event?

I'm actually a big fan of crossovers. I like big stories where all the heroes team-up or deal with a threat mostly associated with one character. I think even a lot of the events that have terrible reputations, have moments that I've enjoyed. Axis, which is....really quite bad...still has a few things to enjoy about it. I like the moment where Magneto arrives with all the villains to fight Red Skull and I think the Deadpool/Apocalypse moments are effective. But obviously it's a mess.

Which of the following events do you find to be the worst? I know this is a very subjective question so I am probably failing to include some that others would put on the list. But these are the ones I considered to be the greatest failures (I used Wikipedia's article on Marvel crossovers to help define what counted). I also didn't put things like Shadowland and Maximum Clonage that were incredibly character specific and did not feature as many tie-ins. So the list I compiled is:

Secret Wars 2
    Onslaught
    Age of Ultron
    Fear Itself
    Avengers Vs. X-Men
    Axis
    Civil War 2
    Secret Empire

If I had to rank them, worst to least worst I think I would go with:

1. Secret Wars 2 -
    2. Age of Ultron
    3. Civil War 2
    4. Secret Empire
    5. Axis
    6. Onslaught
    7. Avengers Vs. X-Men
    8. Fear Itself (I actually kind of like Fear Itself)

Secret Empire (rocks) >>> AvX (solid) > Secret Wars II (weird) > Fear Itself (wack) > Age of Ultron (why) > Civil War II (why) > Axis (actually fuckin' terrible)

im not reading all of onslaught
    not yet
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Civil War 2 was such a blatant cash grab that it is unforgivable.

It was so badly written and the characterization was so bad I have no idea what Bendis was thinking and this is coming from a HUGE Bendis fan.

I love his New Avengers, Spidey, and everything else he writes but Civil War 2 is by far the worst.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Axis is probably the worst. Civil War II also bad.

14 year old me is furious you included Onslaught. I ate, drank, and breathed Onslaught back in the summer of 96...

It’s Axis. It was so inexplicably bad I don’t even think there’s a close number two.

I don’t think I read Axis. Lol

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I personally hate Avengers vs X-Men more, but Civil War II derailed far more titles so I gotta give it that.

Not only was it a premature event that derailed a lot of a titles, coming less than a year off the heels of Secret Wars, there was the character assassination of Carol Davners and it was ultimately just a glorified prelude to Secret Empire.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

2015 Secret Wars.

People always joke about events holding up other titles, but Secret Wars took it to a whole other level. All for a series that had little to no long lasting impact.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

War of the Realms.

Axis is the worst, it makes Age of Ultron look like War of the Worlds.

I'm reading Secret Invasion right now and I haven't finished it yet but it's looking like a huge pile of turd.

Age of Apocalypse was.....not good either. Some of the tie-ins were good though.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    2015 Secret Wars.

People always joke about events holding up other titles, but Secret Wars took it to a whole other level. All for a series that had little to no long lasting impact.
    I blame editorial, not Hickman for that.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

Perhaps we should rethink the question, is there really a single crossover since the first Secret Wars or Contest of Champions that can be considered good, is it really difficult to know?

Most of them are horrible (King In Black, no matter how much they say, does not arouse me much interest to read it when it comes) and I think Marvel should stop this (no matter how much money they can gain) because for years and decades it is difficult to read a good story that brings together all the heroes against a common enemy, it seems that only DC was able to do it in the 80s with the Crisis on Infinite Earths, that was better thought out and they seemed to know exactly what to do although years later they complicated it more than they should.

Right now, for me, most of the Mega-Crossovers are bad, the only good thing that I have been able to read was the first Civil War and Annihilation.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Perhaps we should rethink the question, is there really a single crossover since the first Secret Wars or Contest of Champions that can be considered good, is it really difficult to know?
    Crossovers/events I think I would categorize as good:

Infinity Gauntlet
    House of M
    Secret Invasion
    Siege
    Infinity
    Secret Wars 2015
    War of the Realms

And then I've actually enjoyed a bunch of the X-Men crossovers

Astonishing Member

Secret Wars 2 was the worst to me.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I haven't read Secret Wars 2 outside the New Mutants and FF issues.

"Cable was right!"