View Poll Results: Which was the worst event?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secret Wars 2

8 8.25%
  • Onslaught

1 1.03%
  • Fear Itself

7 7.22%
  • Age of Ultron

10 10.31%
  • Axis

7 7.22%
  • Civil War 2

38 39.18%
  • Secret Emire

8 8.25%
  • Avengers Vs. X-Men

14 14.43%
  • Other

4 4.12%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Honestly the 1st Civil War is really overrated to me, personally. Good idea, terrible execution and some truly abysmal characterization. There are so many glaring plot contrivances that you're just meant to ignore.

All-New Member

I have a soft spot for Secret Wars 2. I bought all of the main series, and it wasn't great, but the tie-ins were super memorable for me. X-Men with Rachel and the Beyonder, New Mutants and the Magik/Shadowcat connection (and how he killed the team, brought them back, and made a really compelling story for issues to come), FF with the return of the true Doom, Spider-Man and Heroes for Hire and a building turned into gold. Avengers (during Stern) dealing with the Skrulls, Nebula... and Beyonder screwing stuff up... Spider-Man teaching the Beyonder how to use the bathroom.
    I chose Civil War 2 because it made no sense on so many levels, and everyone was OOC
    Something I did used to love as far as crossovers was when they happened in the Annuals, Evolutionary War and Atlantis Attacks were favorites. Self contained 'stories' that the writers of the ongoings could pick and chose what they wanted to use.

All-New Member

double post, sorry
    Last edited by Brian Burnside; 10-09-2020 at 09:46 AM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I voted Fear Itself, which happens to be the only one on the poll that I’ve read. Feels like time has been kind to FI as when it was being published I feel like the consensus was that it was the worst event ever. Like I said though, I haven’t read CW2 so perhaps that is really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Perhaps we should rethink the question, is there really a single crossover since the first Secret Wars or Contest of Champions that can be considered good, is it really difficult to know?
    Seems a little harsh. I’d say Siege, Annihilation, Conquest, Infinity, Secret Wars (2015), World War Hulk, House of M and War of the Realms were all good to great.

Answer: One of the many I failed to buy and read. So I don't know which one.

The one that started it all... Secret Wars II
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Civil War 2 was the worst imho. Then Fear Itself or Axis. It pains me to put Axis on the list because Remender was so good while he was at Marvel it’s almost like someone else wrote Axis and they just put his name on the cover. The rest I either enjoyed or didn’t read.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Secret Wars 2: A being with absolute omnipotence becomes a lousy tourist in the Marvel universe, goes around here and there like a kid in a comic-con, until the Molecule Man has had enough and kills him. The end.

Secret Empire is the worst of the lot followed closely by Civil War II, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Secret Empire was bad. Civil War II was worse. I liked WWHulk the best. It was nice seeing the Hulk kick the crap out of the Marvel universe. Fear Itself was enjoyable too. Marvel really should lay off of the main events for awhile. I didn’t like the Avengers/FF/Kree/Skrull vs the salad people either and probably will skip any future main events. Haven’t read a DC main event in ages either. I’ll stick to my main titles.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Civil War 2. At least with the first one there was some reasonable arguments for both sides.

I didn't really like any of them.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I personally think it was the FIRST Civil War. It was just... BAD. Badly planned, badly written. Art was nice, but the story required a LOT of handwaving. Half the characters were written out of character... The other half were impulsive and irrational.

Mostly the problem was nobody really knew what the registration act WAS. Some books said you had a choice to sign up or retire quietly.... other books said you had to sign up or be arrested and thrown out of this dimension! Some said it was all about revealing your idenitity... However even public Identity heroes were hunted... Very inconsistent and pretty much was the driving force of Marvel for years.

Just a bad Mega Cross over.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

From this list, Civil War II, followed closely by Age of Ultron. Haven't read Secret Wars II, but the original was fine and Hickman's version might be the best of the company wide events.

But anyway, this list is incomplete without Ultimatum.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    From this list, Civil War II, followed closely by Age of Ultron. Haven't read Secret Wars II, but the original was fine and Hickman's version might be the best of the company wide events.

But anyway, this list is incomplete without Ultimatum.
    I left Ultimatum off because it was an event in the Ultimate Universe and I didn't think it qualified. Also, yes, it was by far the worst and was essentially irredeemable.

I am kind of surprised at how disliked Civil War 2 is. I think there are some bad crossovers listed above and Civil War 2 has almost a 25 vote lead on the field. I think it deserves its bad reputation, it's really a mess of a story, but the art in the book is wonderful. I voted for Secret Wars 2, which I just happen to dislike more, but Civil War 2 would be my next least favorite.

Also nice to see no votes for Onslaught. A messy story, poorly thought through by Lobdell, and Heroes Reborn stunk, but it's fine.