View Poll Results: Which was the worst event?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secret Wars 2

8 8.25%
  • Onslaught

1 1.03%
  • Fear Itself

7 7.22%
  • Age of Ultron

10 10.31%
  • Axis

7 7.22%
  • Civil War 2

38 39.18%
  • Secret Emire

8 8.25%
  • Avengers Vs. X-Men

14 14.43%
  • Other

4 4.12%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

remember axis' art
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    remember axis' art

I remember it was Adam Kubert, Dodson, and Yu right? I remember Yu's art looked especially rushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    From this list, Civil War II, followed closely by Age of Ultron. Haven't read Secret Wars II, but the original was fine and Hickman's version might be the best of the company wide events.

But anyway, this list is incomplete without Ultimatum.
    Jeph Loeb should have been thrown out of anything to do with comic books, TV, movies, etc after Ultimatum. One of the worst ever.

Civil War II is, without a doubt, one of the stupidest crossover events I've ever read and was the epitome of everything I hate about most of these Hero VS Hero conflicts. But most of all...

For me, Civil War II did to Carol Danvers what the first Civil War did to Iron Man for a lot of readers. Even after the event was over and she was back in the hands of good writers, the character was just...tainted for me, for a very long time. It took her movie coming out for me to finally warm back up to her. As far as I was concerned, my perception of the character had been irreversibly damaged up until then. Which is kinda ironic considering how many people started shitting on Carol after her MCU debut. It was what made me give her another chance lol

It's a shame too cuz I actually really liked the first Civil War (flawed as it was...MAN was it flawed) and its cinematic adaption is still my favorite MCU movie. But its sequel....holy shit, it was bad. Full on Bendis effect.

It's not the absolute worst though. If that whole Inhumans VS X-Men conflict was an option, I'd have probably picked it over CWII.
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-13-2020 at 03:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Secret Empire (rocks) >>> AvX (solid) > Secret Wars II (weird) > Fear Itself (wack) > Age of Ultron (why) > Civil War II (why) > Axis (actually fuckin' terrible)

im not reading all of onslaught
    not yet
    Onslaught is a mess. It can be readable in a sort of fever dream state, but I think the same is true with AXIS. Civil War II has really pretty art. Everyone is acting like a psychopath in the beginning, but it really only falls completely off the rails halfway through when Bendis starts stalling for time. I think I agree with this order except I'd rank Age of Ultron worse and Secret Wars II above AvX. That being said, I'm unclear if they're talking about the Jim Shooter Secret Wars II or not.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

No the crossing on the list?

Secret wars 2 main series was not good but the tie in books had some good stories like the human torch finding out a kid set himself on fire copying him and dealing with it and power pack and new mutants fighting death to save power packs mom.

The thing i wasn't a fan of was them attacking beyonder over and over when he was there to learn about earth. Got so bad he got depressed then turned full evil by the end. Why not put him on a team and keep a eye on him or have dr strange guide him on earth or try to turn him good. Ganging up on him over and over again may not have been the best idea.

To me the worst was avx. No one acted right. Everyone acted dumb. History was ignored for the sake of the story and the fact that phoenix was on earth in a hero team for years without any trouble is ignored as well.

Blah.

Mighty Member

I had to go with Civil War 2. It was literally just a commercial for the movie and had no lasting impact on the overall story. The only good thing about was Hydra Cap manipulating events in order to set-up Secret empire.

My second choice was Age of Ultron, which just ended up being pointless as again, it had no lasting impact. At least the first half was somewhat decent before it nosedived into insanity.

AvX was okay, it just had too many cooks and was way too long. However, it did feature the origins to my favourite super hero rivalry (namor and Panther) and led to uncanny avengers which was a decent book.

I actually liked Secret Empire a lot, it could have done with about 4 issues being cut, but otherwise I liked what Spencer was going for here.

Fear itself and axis I haven’t read but they are on my list. I’m kind of looking forward to Axis seeing as how I did enjoy Uncanny Avengers.

The others are not on my reading list.

I looked in vain for an "All of the above" listing, so I just went with Civil War II.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post

I am kind of surprised at how disliked Civil War 2 is. I think there are some bad crossovers listed above and Civil War 2 has almost a 25 vote lead on the field. I think it deserves its bad reputation, it's really a mess of a story, but the art in the book is wonderful. I voted for Secret Wars 2, which I just happen to dislike more, but Civil War 2 would be my next least favorite.

Also nice to see no votes for Onslaught. A messy story, poorly thought through by Lobdell, and Heroes Reborn stunk, but it's fine.
    Onslaught gets a pass cuz it was the 90s and it got redeemed with Marvel vs. Capcom 1.

Civil War 2 was peak horrible.
    - Poor use of Thanos
    - Killed off James Rhodes and Bruce Banner for kicks.
    - Poor use of Hawkeye and She-hulk
    - Bad Inhumans push
    - Poor excuse for a hero vs hero fight
    - More crapping on Tony after the world recovered from Hickman crapping on him after the world recovered from Millar crapping on him.

Secret Empire was OK but then you get to point where you ask, "Nick, how the *** are you gonna write yourself out of this?" and Nick goes "watch this" and he drops the ball.

I'm surprised Original Sin isn't here. That was horrid.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    More crapping on Tony after the world recovered from Hickman crapping on him after the world recovered from Millar crapping on him.
    Secret Empire was OK but then you get to point where you ask, "Nick, how the *** are you gonna write yourself out of this?" and Nick goes "watch this" and he drops the ball.
    I'm surprised Original Sin isn't here. That was horrid.
    Interesting you think Tony got crapped on in Civil War 2 as most people think Carol was done most dirty. But I guess Tony did "die" so there is that.

Secret Empire's ending is indeed a mess. It goes back on the central premise of the book ("THIS IS ACTUALLY CAPTAIN AMERICA FOR REALS") and is just a strange mix of handwave, deus ex machina, and uninspiring fight choreography. There are good parts of secret empire - the Ultron dinner issue, Falcon coming back for his hero moment, the art at times. But the basic idea of the book was never a good idea and it compromised some characters in some pretty bad ways.

The fact that Al Ewing has been able to take parts of Civil War 2 and Secret Empire and spin Immortal Hulk out of it is pretty amazing.

I didn't put Original Sin because I actually kind of like Original Sin. I like the team-up (even if it stinks of maximum MCU synergy) and I really liked some of the spin-off stories like Daredevil's Original Sin arc and the Hulk/Iron Man mini. Original Sin felt less like a MASSIVE event and more like a miniseries meant to stand on its own. I guess that's true of Age of Ultron too but I really hate Age of Ultron and that's why it made the list.

Astonishing Member

Voted for Civil War II.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    Interesting you think Tony got crapped on in Civil War 2 as most people think Carol was done most dirty. But I guess Tony did "die" so there is that.
    They both got done dirty. But for different reasons (though they're far from the only ones that event fucked over). Honestly, Carol got it way worse if you ask me. I at least came out of that event with my respect for Tony still intact. He was still an idiot. But then, so was everyone in CWII. At least he was a somewhat respectable idiot this time.
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-14-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    2015 Secret Wars.

People always joke about events holding up other titles, but Secret Wars took it to a whole other level. All for a series that had little to no long lasting impact.
    I don't think it was meant to have lasting impact. Comics these days rarely do have lasting impact when you have ongoing titles constantly getting relaunched.

But out of that group, SW is definitely not the worst when you consider it is the culmination of an epic piece of writing that goes all the way back Hickman's Dark Reign: Fantastic Four and goes on from his Fantastic Four run through to his New Avengers. It is one of my favorite events.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I don't think it was meant to have lasting impact. Comics these days rarely do have lasting impact when you have ongoing titles constantly getting relaunched.

But out of that group, SW is definitely not the worst when you consider it is the culmination of an epic piece of writing that goes all the way back Hickman's Dark Reign: Fantastic Four and goes on from his Fantastic Four run through to his New Avengers. It is one of my favorite events.
    I think Secret Wars by Hickman is my favorite event. I think the way the tie-ins were handled was brilliant. You did not need to read any of them (though Thors and Shield were pretty important) to understand the main story, it took what was a pretty grim ending to Hickman's Avengers books and spun something optimistic and hopeful out of it. And as someone who still thinks Hickman's Fantastic Four is his best work at Marvel to date, I loved that the ending of Secret Wars was a proper conclusion to the story he had started in his FF run. And the art, which they gave Ribic the time needed to draw the whole thing, is just astonishing stuff. I love Secret Wars

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I haven’t read all the events on this list, but of the several big Marvel events that I have read I’d say Secret Wars 2 was the worst. Some of the tie-one were enjoyable but the main story itself did absolutely nothing for me & was a chore to get through.