Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Smile Clownhunter Appreciation Thread 2020

An appreciation thread for Gotham's newest goon purger:

Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 10-06-2020 at 09:42 PM.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

I like his character a lot more after issue #100. Seems more like an awkward teen than another edgelord

Astonishing Member

When I saw the Punchline Appreciation thread -- and good job making that, too, by the way, because it was about time -- I kept thinking to myself "Okay, so where's the Clownhunter Appreciation thread? He deserves one, too!" Lo and behold, you also made one for him! Hopefully he'll get the positive traffic, even if in small increments, like Punchline's.

At some point, when I have a bit more free reading time, I intend to binge the past arc. But regardless, Clownhunter is someone who really struck me as intriguing from his inception. The more I learned as each new issue and solicit and preview came out, the stronger that intriguing force became. Tynion made some excellent additions here.

And this is the first I've seen him unmasked and as a "civilian", I think. I appreciate that Tynion is introducing new characters of Asian descent. There was Caden Park from The Immortal Men, and now we see that Punchline and Clownhunter are Asian-descent as well. And not the same Asian, too. ('Cause a lot of people get themselves lost thinking Asia is one single thing. Kinda like people do with Africa, actually.)

I know he has a very visible dark side in his Clownhunter persona, but I find the page you posted, OopsIdiditagain, to be a surprisingly endearing, dorky, and yes, even horny. But otherwise a normal kid's normal take on things. One thing I did pick up on was that he seems neurodivergent in some way. Whenever he spoke, his dialogue was always all in lowercase, as if he speaks in soft, whispered and monotonous tones. And here, we see that's a normal part of his personality. And that he's very awkward socially. Hopefully readers noticed this, but as we can see in this page, Clownhunter is explicitly avoiding eye contact. He talks to Batman by physically talking at him.

I'm glad we're finally getting into the meat-and-potatoes of who this person is. I hope he's around for the long haul. I especially want him to interact on a longform basis with other Narrows natives, specifically including the Rowes, Harper and Cullen, and Duke Thomas.

And last but not least, you seem good at finding fanart and stuff. If you find any with Clownhunter, would you post them here? Thanks a ton!

I think he's really interesting.
    I've heard speculation that he could be gay and be a love interest for Cullen Row. That he basically specifies he only wants a platonic hug from Wonder Woman seems like it could support that.
    That would be pretty neat. God knows the Bat books could use some queer male representation. As it is it feels like about 3/4 of the women in Gotham are gay or bi and all the men are straight.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I've heard speculation that he could be gay and be a love interest for Cullen Row. That he basically specifies he only wants a platonic hug from Wonder Woman seems like it could support that.
    That would be pretty neat. God knows the Bat books could use some queer male representation. As it is it feels like about 3/4 of the women in Gotham are gay or bi and all the men are straight.

I thought he mentioned only hugging Wonder Woman because he didn't want Batman thinking he was talking about a "weird"/wet dream he had about her. But who knows that could be it too.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    That would be pretty neat. God knows the Bat-books could use some queer male representation. As it is it feels like about 3/4 of the women in Gotham are gay or bi and all the men are straight.
    My first thought was that he's straight and respectful enough to not have wet dreams about Wonder Woman because he strikes me as a lonely kid needing comfort, but you have a point about the lack of gay male Bat character

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    When I saw the Punchline Appreciation thread -- and good job making that, too, by the way, because it was about time -- I kept thinking to myself "Okay, so where's the Clownhunter Appreciation thread? He deserves one, too!" Lo and behold, you also made one for him! Hopefully he'll get the positive traffic, even if in small increments, like Punchline's.

At some point, when I have a bit more free reading time, I intend to binge the past arc. But regardless, Clownhunter is someone who really struck me as intriguing from his inception. The more I learned as each new issue and solicit and preview came out, the stronger that intriguing force became. Tynion made some excellent additions here.

And this is the first I've seen him unmasked and as a "civilian", I think. I appreciate that Tynion is introducing new characters of Asian descent. There was Caden Park from The Immortal Men, and now we see that Punchline and Clownhunter are Asian-descent as well. And not the same Asian, too. ('Cause a lot of people get themselves lost thinking Asia is one single thing. Kinda like people do with Africa, actually.)

I know he has a very visible dark side in his Clownhunter persona, but I find the page you posted, OopsIdiditagain, to be a surprisingly endearing, dorky, and yes, even horny. But otherwise a normal kid's normal take on things. One thing I did pick up on was that he seems neurodivergent in some way. Whenever he spoke, his dialogue was always all in lowercase, as if he speaks in soft, whispered and monotonous tones. And here, we see that's a normal part of his personality. And that he's very awkward socially. Hopefully readers noticed this, but as we can see in this page, Clownhunter is explicitly avoiding eye contact. He talks to Batman by physically talking at him.

I'm glad we're finally getting into the meat-and-potatoes of who this person is. I hope he's around for the long haul. I especially want him to interact on a longform basis with other Narrows natives, specifically including the Rowes, Harper and Cullen, and Duke Thomas.

And last but not least, you seem good at finding fanart and stuff. If you find any with Clownhunter, would you post them here? Thanks a ton!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDHrAU5n...d=ptbcbmwefiqy

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGBtZxQp...d=zjy4vk2onlyg

Punchline looking asian depends a lot on an artist's artstyle. But since they still haven't confirmed who her parents are and a lot fans see her as Asian. They could always show her as having mixed Asian heritage. There plenty of people who can relate to looking white and having mixed Asian heritage.

By Lee Inhyuk

From Joker War Zone

I wonder if Clownhunter trained on his own or he had some teach him. Him using a bat is so brutal.

I think he's might be the only Batfamily vigilante that doesn't have a secret identity. His entire neighborhood knows who he is. It makes sense for the Purge like events of Joker war but imagine a character going to Gotham Academy and everyone knowing he murders goons in his freetime lol?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I thought he mentioned only hugging Wonder Woman because he didn't want Batman thinking he was talking about a "weird"/wet dream he had about her. But who knows that could be it too.
    That's what I thought, too. But witchboy's right about the severe lack of gay and bi male rep in Gotham, so I'd be for that story, as long as it gets the story attention and focus it would call for (i.e., don't just pair them up and leave them off-screen).

Astonishing Member

Punchline looking asian depends a lot on an artist's artstyle. But since they still haven't confirmed who her parents are and a lot fans see her as Asian. They could always show her as having mixed Asian heritage. There plenty of people who can relate to looking white and having mixed Asian heritage.
    Keep the art comin'!

And I'm not surprised about the Punchline thing being dependent on the artists. (Fan communities take what they see and run with it, often.) Hope that get's confirmed in-text, though. Same with Clownhunter.

From Joker War Zone

I wonder if Clownhunter trained on his own or he had some teach him. Him using a bat is so brutal.
    I realize now that we did get to see him sans helmet, back when they first showed this textless page.

Whether or not he was self-taught or had (some form of) a mentor is one of the things that I hope Tynion will delve into.

And I like how they have Clownhunter channel his inner Manga/Manhua/Manhwa delinquent street vigilante in his whole concept. Certainly visceral, but there's definitely a raw appeal to it in controlled doses (which is how I image horror fans are able to enjoy the genre).

I think he's might be the only Batfamily vigilante that doesn't have a secret identity. His entire neighborhood knows who he is. It makes sense for the Purge like events of Joker war but imagine a character going to Gotham Academy and everyone knowing he murders goons in his freetime lol?
    That'd be worth a story or few to tell. Like, his neighborhood cheered him own when it was relevant. But how would they feel once the lull period begins? And how would the rest of Gotham feel?
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-07-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Honestly the thing with Clownhunter for me is Im not sure if I like him as a character or a concept. Because quite frankly the concept makes sense. It makes sense that with all the stuff that has happened to Gotham over years that there would be someone or even a group who takes matters into their own hands because they’re tired of the Joker. I think he gets his point across excellently when he just says basically nothing has changed because even if Batman was willing to let him die he got away.

I also like that he still has a purpose after Joker War and that it makes sense. Joker has a lot of henchmen, and clearly some got away so hunting them down may be something someone should do.

A lot like Punchline I need to see how he develops as a character but I think he has potential.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Because quite frankly the concept makes sense.
    The big problem I have with this concept is that this kind of exists already with Red Hood (at least in his early appearences) .

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The big problem I have with this concept is that this kind of exists already with Red Hood (at least in his early appearences) .
    The bigger problem is this concept won't go anywhere because of the status quo
    It's like yeah you have a point but that's a point that shouldn't need to be brought up if they didn't try to outdo Joker every time

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Honestly the thing with Clownhunter for me is Im not sure if I like him as a character or a concept. Because quite frankly the concept makes sense. It makes sense that with all the stuff that has happened to Gotham over years that there would be someone or even a group who takes matters into their own hands because they’re tired of the Joker. I think he gets his point across excellently when he just says basically nothing has changed because even if Batman was willing to let him die he got away.

I also like that he still has a purpose after Joker War and that it makes sense. Joker has a lot of henchmen, and clearly some got away so hunting them down may be something someone should do.

A lot like Punchline I need to see how he develops as a character but I think he has potential.
    These upcoming issues will likely be where we explore his character more.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'd say Red Hood has evolved beyond merely being that guy. In fact, for Red Hood, his deal was more personal. Clownhunter is more general. (He probs have personal reasons, though, but so far, they aren't the strict point.) So I say there's certainly room for Clownhunter.