Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Anyone else interested if he joins the Teen Titans academy book?
    it wouldn't be a stretch, Batman sees him out there and while he empathizes with Bao I don't see Bruce wanting to take on another protege anytime soon; but him "sponsoring" Bao's way to the Roy Harper Academy would work. If he ends up at the academy then that all but confirms he's Red X too. I'm more curious as to what they'd have planned for Clownhunter if it turns out he isn't going to the Academy or on his way to being Red X. how would Bao figure into this changing Gotham landscape? I could see him getting absorbed into the Joker title with Jim and Punchline (and maybe Harper?) for a while but I don't know how much mileage they could get out of him as Clownhunter in his current form. He's unlikely to ever actually kill the Joker and, of the characters with an axe to grind with the Joker, Bao's is the least complex and his persona is the most singularly focused on meeting that goal. What is Tynion's plan for building him for the long haul if that's the case?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    it wouldn't be a stretch, Batman sees him out there and while he empathizes with Bao I don't see Bruce wanting to take on another protege anytime soon; but him "sponsoring" Bao's way to the Roy Harper Academy would work. If he ends up at the academy then that all but confirms he's Red X too. I'm more curious as to what they'd have planned for Clownhunter if it turns out he isn't going to the Academy or on his way to being Red X. how would Bao figure into this changing Gotham landscape? I could see him getting absorbed into the Joker title with Jim and Punchline (and maybe Harper?) for a while but I don't know how much mileage they could get out of him as Clownhunter in his current form. He's unlikely to ever actually kill the Joker and, of the characters with an axe to grind with the Joker, Bao's is the least complex and his persona is the most singularly focused on meeting that goal. What is Tynion's plan for building him for the long haul if that's the case?
    Those are good questions. Gonna need to wait and see, post Annual, what can be foreseen to be in store for Bao. And if Red X isn't his destiny as it more and more feels like it will be, where will Tynion go with Bao from the Annual,

y'all...more X's, this has to be intentional; or Bao is the greatest red herring of all time.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-29-2020 at 10:40 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

y'all...more X's, this has to be intentionally; or Bao is the greatest red herring of all time.
    I thought the same thing.

Astonishing Member

y'all...more X's, this has to be intentionally; or Bao is the greatest red herring of all time.
    That's a cute visual that Bao grew up into those ultra-violent fighting games. Not in the "those games promote bad behavior" way, as that's an ignorant stance; it's more of a "this works as an interesting and brilliant moment of foreshadowing during Bao's more innocent times".

Astonishing Member

Also, I take this to mean that the Annual with Bao's story is out?

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Also, I take this to mean that the Annual with Bao's story is out?
    yes, and it's actually really good; I think i'm firmly on the Clownhunter train now. I'm excited to see more from him and his development. DC is 3/3 so far for me this week!

currently following:

Astonishing Member

yes, and it's actually really good; I think i'm firmly on the Clownhunter train now. I'm excited to see more from him and his development. DC is 3/3 so far for me this week!
    Awesome! I'll need to read it as soon as I can!

What is your third? I know which one is your second, of course.

Awesome! I'll need to read it as soon as I can!

What is your third? I know which one is your second, of course.
    everybody and they momma know my second (oh nah, actually he number 1!) LOL but my third as the finale for Endless Winter. I liked Endless Winter as a smaller, self-contained, fun Justice League event. now it's 4/4, I really liked the Last 52 too. it finally gave me the war issue that i wanted from the Justice/Doom War, and it was really weird and fun.

on topic tho, I'll say Batman Annual is my #2 this week, over Last 52 and Endless Winter's finale. I really feel this issue leans more toward acknowledging that the clownhunter persona is Bao's origin story (like Peter's cobbled together wrestling suit in Raimi's Spiderman) and he's going to develope further.

currently following:

Astonishing Member

everybody and they momma know my second (oh nah, actually he number 1!) LOL but my third as the finale for Endless Winter. I liked Endless Winter as a smaller, self-contained, fun Justice League event. now it's 4/4, I really liked the Last 52 too. it finally gave me the war issue that i wanted from the Justice/Doom War, and it was really weird and fun.

on topic tho, I'll say Batman Annual is my #2 this week, over Last 52 and Endless Winter's finale. I really feel this issue leans more toward acknowledging that the clownhunter persona is Bao's origin story (like Peter's cobbled together wrestling suit in Raimi's Spiderman) and he's going to develope further.
    With the premise apparently being that Bao spills his soul to Leslie, Clownhunter being his origin persona before he progresses to his actual vigilante persona really does make all of the sense at this point.

With the premise apparently being that Bao spills his soul to Leslie, Clownhunter being his origin persona before he progresses to his actual vigilante persona really does make all of the sense at this point.
    If Bao ends up being Red X, and they continue to push Duke's momentum, I think it's inevitable we'll get a Signal/Red X story (at the very least an Urban Legends if that sticks around). one of my childhood favs with my one of current all-time favs? I'd lose it! I mean, it would be profoundly dumb to not have Duke and Bao meet at some point regardless of Bao's direction imo.

I'm just really trying to think where Bao could go without Red X tho. I could see him working with Batman for a while but I wonder if they'll allow him to stretch his wings beyond Tynion's run as Clownhunter, or if that's even their intention is he is only meant to be Clownhunter or some variant of Clownhunter.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-29-2020 at 02:02 PM.

currently following:

All-New Member

Annual #5 had to be the best for me Batman book of the year, both writing and artistically. How can anyone not agree with Clownhunter. He will obviously become Red X and I hope to see many more bad people meet bat-bat.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KneelToDarkseid View Post
    Annual #5 had to be the best for me Batman book of the year, both writing and artistically. How can anyone not agree with Clownhunter. He will obviously become Red X and I hope to see many more bad people meet bat-bat.
    It seems like bat-bat might be taking a break after the Harley Quinn encounter.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member

If Bao ends up being Red X, and they continue to push Duke's momentum, I think it's inevitable we'll get a Signal/Red X story (at the very least an Urban Legends if that sticks around). one of my childhood favs with my one of current all-time favs? I'd lose it! I mean, it would be profoundly dumb to not have Duke and Bao meet at some point regardless of Bao's direction imo.

I'm just really trying to think where Bao could go without Red X tho. I could see him working with Batman for a while but I wonder if they'll allow him to stretch his wings beyond Tynion's run as Clownhunter, or if that's even their intention is he is only meant to be Clownhunter or some variant of Clownhunter.
    Agreed that regardless of Bao's actual trajectory, Bao really needs to meet up and interact with Duke, under some form of circumstance. They have so many baseline parallels to them that it would feel like deliberate ignorance not to have them interact with one another on some meaningful level.

And honestly, with Bao being super foreshadowed as becoming Red X. it makes it really difficult to imagine or even speculate on what Bao would do and where his character would go at this point if he isn't, in fact, going to become Red X.

Quote Originally Posted by KneelToDarkseid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    It seems like bat-bat might be taking a break after the Harley Quinn encounter.
    Yeah. Unless Bao becoming Red X turns out to be the reddest of Red Herrings, then Bat-Bat's gonna be taking a permanent vacation, me thinks.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 12-29-2020 at 03:26 PM.

maybe he brings bat-bat as one of his new tools? a souvenir?