All-New Member

Question Why do digital versions of older comics tend to look so bad?

So I have some digital versions of pre-2000's Batman comics and they look terrible in my opinion. Super washed out colors. Is there any software solution to this? Do the physical TPB's have this issue too?

Do you have examples of specific comics?

It might be a limitation of the source material they are scanning. I see this is physical TPB's as well. Just this week noticed in Batman Contagion that the quality varies from one issue to the next. Text is fine but the art goes extremely soft in certain chapters.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    Do you have examples of specific comics?
    Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    It might be a limitation of the source material they are scanning. I see this is physical TPB's as well. Just this week noticed in Batman Contagion that the quality varies from one issue to the next. Text is fine but the art goes extremely soft in certain chapters.
    Literally this was an example of a digital tpb I read. It's like this for allot of 70's/80's/90's comics I've read digitally or previewed screenshots of. I think it's just the perfectly white "paper" the digital versions have which don't give the same intended color effect of newsprint paper

DC puts out a lot of crappy scans, Marvel tends to restore the digital issues. Blame the people that ran DC for years trying to ignore digital.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    DC puts out a lot of crappy scans, Marvel tends to restore the digital issues. Blame the people that ran DC for years trying to ignore digital.
    I think this is what is happening. A lot of the older books if they do not have the original art they scan really bad scans and some publishers never touch them up; especially for hi-res screens like the iPad Pro.

A recent example is Under The Red Hood, on a standard iPad screen the art is so jaggy and I think it is because no one thought that it would ever be looked at through a hi-res screen