Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    With the meta reason acknowledgement out of the way we can talk better talk about the story aspects, The story has some flaws, The big issue imo is that story didn't convey the time crunch or immediateness of situation well enough. I get some of the complaints but I saw jabs at that writer who had clearly had to try create a meaningful story while probably carrying a Marvel line edict of separating Storm from Black Panther which meant forcing a confrontation to this level. The story didn't perfectly execute it mission but under the context of the meta stuff you get why things are a little forced.

Even checking off all the marks on the box. The story was

- Storm comes to Wakanda to be given or steal the blade.
    - Once rejected it was stealing time
    -T'challa was meant to be unreachable
    - T'challa was always going to show up before she left to make stealing the wrong choice

We are comic fans we are going to over think the details that is our job . The point of story was did Storm make the right choice which mostly got conveyed well,Hacking T'challa phone to make him answer or Storm taking a teleporter to find him and get his blessing correctly aren't really options, If the writer thought they those things would effect the story they would just close them off. The desperation of Storm wanting the blade could of been done better but something tells me that we get some stories of people cutting it close to the deadline with their swords.
    Vita is a grown ass person. The issue was fine (actually great in some respects), people make jabs at the work she created because they find some of her storytelling contrived, not much more to it than that. I think whatever personal jabs she's been getting are stupid and morally wrong, but there's no issue with pointing holes in a story, no matter the circumstances under which it was created. We don't offer this same courtesy to other writers and I don't see what's so special about Vita that she can't be held to the same standard.

Though I do think there's a legitimate conversation to be had about why they were hired to do this particular issue and the optics surrounding it. Editorial mandate or not she produced a comic and she's gonna have to take the critiques and the praise that comes with that. If half this thread is about how some of what she wrote doesn't make sense it is what is, people are gonna discuss whatever they want in an open forum like this.

I loved this story. Again, highlighted what a badass Storm is in a way that we haven’t seen since Chris Claremont wrote her. At least IMO.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Thank you for your enlightened beneficence, The Geekiary.
    indeed!!!!. I love his reviews!!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

It's a hard pill for some to swallow but Storm made the right call in this situation. Ororo didn't know how much time they had, she just knew she had to do her part to save the world. Meanwhile, T'challa was probably preoccupied fighting Moon Knight in the Avengers Book (so not really his fault either). So Storm had to make a judgement call, and she made the right one, the world was at stake. That's why T'challa let her go, because when Secret Wars was happening he had a similar fall out with Shuri and the Dora Miljae, so he understood what she was feeling.

I don't think this undid all the work Coates put into their relationship either. They just had a fight, couples do that from time to time. Also, the book served to remind people that Ororo is not T'challa's sidekick. She is everybit his equal, and that's what their dynamic so unique. There should be times when she has to challenge and disagree with him, because there's nothing less Queen-like than BLINDLY the wishes of the King.
    After reading Priest's run on Black Panther, I can truly said I've learned nothing, but I remember everything!
    I'm back from the Djailia!
    Since D9 exists in the MU, T'challa is definitely an Alpha! (Don't Debate me)

Mighty Member

I kinda liked Storm telling Shuri she thought everything happening was at her whim and she was arrogant. Shuri may be a princess, but Ororo was a goddess. I think it’s time to start showing people who she is again.
    Maybe the Children of the Vault put that bomb in her head awhile ago and that’s why she was always getting knocked out?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Intent????
    Must be a Ororo and T’Challa shipper. I personally think it's a good idea to take steps to finally put an end to what is really a quite unhealthy and (abusive) relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeezy561 View Post
    It's a hard pill for some to swallow but Storm made the right call in this situation. Ororo didn't know how much time they had, she just knew she had to do her part to save the world. Meanwhile, T'challa was probably preoccupied fighting Moon Knight in the Avengers Book (so not really his fault either). So Storm had to make a judgement call, and she made the right one, the world was at stake. That's why T'challa let her go, because when Secret Wars was happening he had a similar fall out with Shuri and the Dora Miljae, so he understood what she was feeling.

I don't think this undid all the work Coates put into their relationship either. They just had a fight, couples do that from time to time. Also, the book served to remind people that Ororo is not T'challa's sidekick. She is everybit his equal, and that's what their dynamic so unique. There should be times when she has to challenge and disagree with him, because there's nothing less Queen-like than BLINDLY the wishes of the King.
    Logan knew it was three days. If he knows, everyone else should. Ramonda was able to contact Tchalla and he had time to set up a defensive line at the gate. They should have made this the last book with Storm being the last to arrive a few minutes before time was up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Vita is a grown ass person. The issue was fine (actually great in some respects), people make jabs at the work she created because they find some of her storytelling contrived, not much more to it than that. I think whatever personal jabs she's been getting are stupid and morally wrong, but there's no issue with pointing holes in a story, no matter the circumstances under which it was created. We don't offer this same courtesy to other writers and I don't see what's so special about Vita that she can't be held to the same standard.

Though I do think there's a legitimate conversation to be had about why they were hired to do this particular issue and the optics surrounding it. Editorial mandate or not she produced a comic and she's gonna have to take the critiques and the praise that comes with that. If half this thread is about how some of what she wrote doesn't make sense it is what is, people are gonna discuss whatever they want in an open forum like this.
    Unfortunately for you, what happened in this story makes perfect sense when you toss in Ororo's and T’Challa's Unhealthy and Toxic (abusive) relationship into the mix, which is what Vita pretty much did.

Your singing and dancing around this doesn't change anything one little bit.

And no, there is really is no legitimate conversation to be had about why they were hired to do this particular issue and the optics surrounding it.
    Last edited by c-lei; 10-08-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Logan knew it was three days. If he knows, everyone else should. Ramonda was able to contact Tchalla and he had time to set up a defensive line at the gate. They should have made this the last book with Storm being the last to arrive a few minutes before time was up.
    exactly. Ororo did all that trifling stuff for the sake of time to get there and still have to wait? lolol makes no sense.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by c-lei View Post
    Unfortunately for you, what happened in this story makes perfect sense when you toss in Ororo's and T’Challa's Unhealthy and Toxic (abusive) relationship into the mix, which is what Vita pretty much did.

Your singing and dancing around this doesn't change anything one little bit.

And no, there is really is no legitimate conversation to be had about why they were hired to do this particular issue and the optics surrounding it.
    At worst, due to plot contrivances T'Challa didn't answer his phone lol. He was far from abusive in that instance or in the past but that wasn't the point of my post. Clearly there are some in this thread who see some degree of forced drama, you're free to not see it and disagree and that's fine. All I'm saying is excusing all criticism or saying it's not worthy of discussion just because Vita may have been mandated to break them up doesn't really make sense.

As long as people don't personally attack Vita they should be able to have an intelligent, balanced discussion about what was (or wasn't) done in the issue. So by all means use strawman's to make your point about how this all makes sense, others aren't going to agree and will discuss what they felt didn't work.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    exactly. Ororo did all that trifling stuff for the sake of time to get there and still have to wait? lolol makes no sense.
    We currently have no idea how long she'll be waiting for, but it's almost certainly some point on day 3 that she arrived back on Krakoa. The comic doesn't make it super clear but It took Wolverine at least two days and he got back before her.

Mighty Member

I just find the whole situation contrived, and contrived in a way that could have easily been solved by just a few small tweaks.

Like you know how far it would have gone to just show Black Panther, I dunno, fighting Pirate polar bears in space. Give some context to this situation.

How was Storm supposed to know when BP would return? The last time he went missing he was gone for five years in the future with Nakia having a space opera. Time was of the essence and she didn't have time to wait around for him.

I would have tweaked this issue a bit, but it was better than any of Duggans twelve issues, so go ahead Vita!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    At worst, due to plot contrivances T'Challa didn't answer his phone lol. He was far from abusive in that instance or in the past but that wasn't the point of my post. Clearly there are some in this thread who see some degree of forced drama, you're free to not see it and disagree and that's fine. All I'm saying is excusing all criticism or saying it's not worthy of discussion just because Vita may have been mandated to break them up doesn't really make sense.

As long as people don't personally attack Vita they should be able to have an intelligent, balanced discussion about what was (or wasn't) done in the issue. So by all means use strawman's to make your point about how this all makes sense, others aren't going to agree and will discuss what they felt didn't work.
    Do you even know what abusive means? Here's a hint. You don't have to physically slap someone to be abusive in a relationship. Charles's and Diana's marriage turned out to be a perfect example of this.

I spent Wednesday outside in nature, but I see there has been a lot of discussion based on the latest Marauders issue. I have not read the several pages in the threads yet, but here are some of my thoughts on the story:

Overall I enjoyed the story. Vita crafted a powerful story, even if you could see Hickman's architecture, the emotions were more nuanced than he can render, so good for them. I think the tension was slightly contrived though, and making Storm the last to join the circle under a ticking clock would have made her look less hasty. I also would have preferred a more delicate touch against the Wakandans. As has often been the case in this DoX era, the brutal violence was gratuitous. Storm already developed a gentle atmospheric ko technique. Especially if time is of the essence, just drop everyone and take it. Why waste time getting in brutish fisticuffs?
    knocksoutsoldiers.jpg

That said, by restraining her power use early on, the confrontation with Shuri was made all the more impactful when Storm finally decided to let her have a taste of lightning, so I understand the narrative function of that choice.

As for the main subject at hand; I think it's very funny that I pointed out from the preview that it was strange Ororo hadn't talked to T'Challa about the sword first before going to Wakanda... and that ends up being the final plot twist of the issue!

But it is true! T'Challa has CONSTANTLY put Ororo after his other priorities. Whether that was ditching her to chase after Klaw when they were kids, risking her life for vibranium against Doom, running off to play Daredevil, annulling their marriage over politics, sleeping with her before the Incursion but not telling her about it, running off to play space explorer and coming back with a girlfriend and a space war for Storm to take down, he ALWAYS leaves her on hold. This woman fought Death itself for him, was willing to exchange her life for his. The fact that Ororo reached out to him for help and he didn't bother to respond for so long must have felt really horrible for her. She must have felt abandoned and dejected.

I think she was just tired of waiting for him. She had an omniverse to save.

I would have tweaked the story a bit here or there, but I liked it. Go ahead Vita!

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!