Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    It can be both because if creators and fans see black people as regular individuals it shouldn’t be hard to create fictional black people that get together and create stable relationships. Monica Rambeau and Blue Marvel may not have their relationship on full display atm but they’re a solid depiction of black love because they were pushed by a creator with a strong eye for diversity and bringing the best in all characters, not just the “iconic” (white) ones.

There can be more like it if writers see the compatibility and are willing to invest the same panel time they are in white romances instead of feeling awkward about putting the only two black people on a team together or using them as wallpaper in the story at large.

Storm and T’Challa can’t get that level of sustainability as a couple because unlike Monica and Adam they’re forced to be on opposite sides of the issue whenever the X-Men and wider superhero community come into conflict. The MO of DOX is mutants not taking anymore **** from humanity and if necessary coming into conflict with the champions of humanity (like the Fantastic Four, Black Panther, and Avengers) to secure mutant interests.

There’s no conceivable way that with that type of dynamic, one that has additionally been reframed in evolutionary terms with the idea of homo novissima, for Storm and T’Challa to have a relationship that won’t be wrought with conflict and confrontation in this new era or any future ones that emulate it.

The X-Men are defined by being “oppressed” and on the margins, they’ll always have an underlying tension with other non-mutant superhero teams that will reach a tipping point, especially in an age of hero vs hero events. So pushing them together only to shatter the relationship and then putting them back together can be seen as toxic because everyone knows damn well they can never truly be a long term couple. They’re bad for each other and it’ll come with bad characterization whenever they break up like in this issue. The only thing worse than no black love is toxic black love.
    Any real relationship will have problems but true love perseveres this Tchoro/Orolla will find a way to migitate whatever wrangles that attempts to divide them and/or cause conflict between their respective factions.

BP/Storm together make them the primary power couple in the MU due to the collective clout they possess together which be default would make them inter-liasons ,power brokers and peace police across the factions.

The AvX event would have been PERFECT to exhibit the BP/Storm clout instead of that rubbish annulment.

So I very much disagree with all u have said about this marriage being unsustainable when it's potential was never utilize and blocked repeatedly by the X-side ofnwriyers and editors

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Storm wasting time negotiating when she could have just killed the guards and taken the sword then flown out before the security re-engaged. Or gone in with some other X-men. Grab Nightcrawler or someone else teleport in and out
    Damn.....that's even faaaar worse. Goodness me, that would have been hideous.

Vita Ayala interview regarding Marauders #13
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/x-of-swords-...1845316824/amp

"Reasoning that she really doesn’t have the time to wait for T’Challa, Storm waits until the dead of night to set off to simply steal Skybreaker, even though she knows doing so could very well set off a war between Wakanda and Krakoa."

"Sensible hero that he is, T’Challa lets Storm leave with Skybreaker because to stop her would potentially put Wakanda and the rest of the world in danger, but the king also resolves to destroy the gate directly linking Wakanda to Krakoa, signaling that the nations are no longer on the best of terms."

Epic quadru-triple face palm here. *Siiiiiiiiiigh!!!!!!!*

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Storm wasting time negotiating when she could have just killed the guards and taken the sword then flown out before the security re-engaged. Or gone in with some other X-men. Grab Nightcrawler or someone else teleport in and out
    So just...straight up war on Wakanda?

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    What in the world would make you think that's a good idea?
    just following her rationale. Fate of the world and everything. Can't take no for an answer can't wait. Why even announe yourself sneak in and sneak out. Silence any witnesses. Problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Damn.....that's even faaaar worse. Goodness me, that would have been hideous.

Vita Ayala interview regarding Marauders #13
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/x-of-swords-...1845316824/amp

"Reasoning that she really doesn’t have the time to wait for T’Challa, Storm waits until the dead of night to set off to simply steal Skybreaker, even though she knows doing so could very well set off a war between Wakanda and Krakoa."

"Sensible hero that he is, T’Challa lets Storm leave with Skybreaker because to stop her would potentially put Wakanda and the rest of the world in danger, but the king also resolves to destroy the gate directly linking Wakanda to Krakoa, signaling that the nations are no longer on the best of terms."

Epic quadru-triple face palm here. *Siiiiiiiiiigh!!!!!!!*
    If she had already resolved to take the sword, and she beleived Wakanda would say no. Might as well right. She openly assaulted a priest and the Shuri a royal. T'Challa let her go, but if I'm Wakandan I'm looking at the king sideyed right now. She should have just gone full CIA black ops from the get go and maybe she would have involved detection and preserve positive relations. Just blame it on Doctor Doom or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    So just...straight up war on Wakanda?
    That's not what I was suggesting. I'm saying if she was going to take it by force she could have done it quicker and more efficiently and potentially avoid deteciton all together. However, following your train of thought wide scale atack on Wakanda could be viewed as preemptive strike if you will. Let's not pretend we don't see where Marvel's angling things.
    The J-man

Astonishing Member

Something tells me the sword either shatters or Storm dies so she isn't able to personally return the sword.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Something tells me the sword either shatters or Storm dies so she isn't able to personally return the sword.
    no Marvel wouldn't kill Storm she's too important. Also wasn't the sword just invented for this storyline. I've never ever heard of it and I'm pretty knowledgeable about BP and Wakanda
    The J-man

BANNED

Having read the issue with a calmer mind (Wednesday was a particularly stressful point of the week for me), the whole thing is less of a problem for me. It's pretty well written at least on the character level. The plot is kinda wack, particularly the fact that the sword was invented just for this and there's the Chekhov's Gun of it perhaps being destroyed during the tournament. Anyways, Storm and Panther's relationship might have hit a bump, but for now a lot of the anger directed at this plot is a little bit unearned, since other pairings (and far better established/ more iconic) have hit worse roadblocks and bounced back from it. Personal opinion, anyway. Doesn't sound like a one and done thing, but just the start of what they have planned.

I also might have been a bit harsher with Ayala than they deserved. Still not a fan of them, but they're passionate and is the one who was more excited about Storm being in this event and helped craft this whole story. I hope this whole thing gets better development from Hickman, Duggan and Percy in future issues.

I was rereading the issue and when she says trust is frayed but can be salvage something hit me, when Hickman started all this i remember there was a list of nations who did not accept trade with Krakoa for their medical drugs, and whoever was on this list? The wording is as follows "Nations that have rejected a trade treaty with Krakoa are considered naturally adversarial.". There were several there including Madripoor, Latevreria... and Wakanda (and any nation with Wakandan protectorate status). And this was on the side of Krakoa, so now with the stunt Storm pulled would it be safe to say that Wakanda has a reason (a more valid one when compared to Krakoa tbh) to consider Krakoa adversarial as well? I mean this isn't just about a lovers spat, this is someone who came not just as a native but the representative of a foreign nation under the banner of peace and then did a 180, beat up Wakandan citizen's/military, a member of royal family/government body and stole a historical artifact (T'Challa may not see it that way but what about the rest of his people?). Even if she gives back the sword whole and intact, the damage is done right?

house-of-x-infographic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I was rereading the issue and when she says trust is frayed but can be salvage something hit me, when Hickman started all this i remember there was a list of nations who did not accept trade with Krakoa for their medical drugs, and whoever was on this list? The wording is as follows "Nations that have rejected a trade treaty with Krakoa are considered naturally adversarial.". There were several there including Madripoor, Latevreria... and Wakanda (and any nation with Wakandan protectorate status). And this was on the side of Krakoa, so now with the stunt Storm pulled would it be safe to say that Wakanda has a reason (a more valid one when compared to Krakoa tbh) to consider Krakoa adversarial as well? I mean this isn't just about a lovers spat, this is someone who came not just as a native but the representative of a foreign nation under the banner of peace and then did a 180, beat up Wakandan citizen's/military, a member of royal family/government body and stole a historical artifact (T'Challa may not see it that way but what about the rest of his people?). Even if she gives back the sword whole and intact, the damage is done right?

house-of-x-infographic.jpg
    I guess it depends on how wakandian media spins it. If they just gave her the sword and left the decoy no one woud have even known. But drama.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yupp...That's indeed a potential implication/fallout to this issue going forward post XoS.We'll just have to wait and see if/when that plot point is addressed.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

All-New Member

Meh. I've never cared for the marriage between Ororo and T'Challa. It felt like a cheap gimmick. Oh! They're both from Africa! They should marry! Whatever. Their relationship was a dumb retcon that should never have happened.
    This is my way of saying I don't care for boring Wakandan politics clogging up the X-Men.

It's bad enough that we have to interrupt the already long delayed Kate Pryde storyline.
    This issue was talk blah talk blah fight Storm wins duh
    The art doesn't help. Ororo looks like she's 14. wtf?
    Last edited by logansrunt; 10-11-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by logansrunt View Post
    Meh. I've never cared for the marriage between Ororo and T'Challa. It felt like a cheap gimmick. Oh! They're both from Africa! They should marry! Whatever. Their relationship was a dumb retcon that should never have happened.
    This is my way of saying I don't care for boring Wakandan politics clogging up the X-Men.

It's bad enough that we have to interrupt the already long delayed Kate Pryde storyline.
    This issue was talk blah talk blah fight Storm wins duh
    The art doesn't help. Ororo looks like she's 14. wtf?
    As opposed to? Literally every issue of XoS starting with X-Factor has been "talk talk talk" at least this issue stays true to her character and highlights her thievery skills something that's often forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by logansrunt View Post
    Meh. I've never cared for the marriage between Ororo and T'Challa. It felt like a cheap gimmick. Oh! They're both from Africa! They should marry! Whatever.
    Would it better to deliberately keep them apart??
    GrindrStone(D)

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I don't see why Ayala and Hickman adding Stormbreaker to the BP mthyos is such a big issue. People acting as if Marvel never done this before.

Geez, man.

Last edited by Triniking1234; 10-12-2020 at 05:08 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I don't see why Ayala and Hickman adding Stormbreaker to the BP mthyos is such a big issue. People acting as if Marvel never done this before.

Geez, man.

We don't care that they added a new sword. But they didn't have to change the canon of Wakandas' origin to do it. Especially when its not happening in a Black Panther book.