Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wolverine #6 + X-Force #13 [XoS chapter 3-4] review *spoilers*

The 2 issues are one story of how Logan finds his Muramasa sword, plus the introduction of Solem.

- Logan calls out Krakoa because he wanted the gate open so Logan thinks he wanted this war to happen. Logan swears that he’s going win but isn’t going to trust Krakoa.

- Logan starts his quest of finding Muramasa to make a new sword for him(the old one was destroyed) We see the brief history of Logan’s first Muramasa sword and how it was made – Logan lost his wife Itsu and thought he lost his son Daken, therefore he went to Muramasa to forge a sword out of his soul to seek revenge. This sword is capable to cut through anything and kill any superhuman being, even Wolverine himself.

- Logan first goes to Silver Samurai asking him where he can find Muramasa but he thinks Logan doesn’t have respect or discipline and he’s pissed that it wasn’t him chosen for the tournament instead of Logan. They fight, Logan defeats him and Silver Samurai tells Logan the rumors he heard about Muramasa.

- Meanwhile we learn more about Solem: He was banished to a pit in Arakko for killing War’s husband, the father of Summoner. It meant to be a punishment, he already spent a hundred of years there to suffer. War hoped that boredom and starvation broke him, even gave him a Hellblade dagger to kill himself in despair, but Solem actually enjoying himself quite a bit and think it’s a cozy vacation as the citizens of Arakko love him, keeping him company and giving him gifts. War and Pestilence tells him they’re at war with Krakoa and he was one of the chosen champions. They know nothing about the opponents or who Murumasa is but Solem needs to find him. Solem happily accepts this ‘delicious assignment’ then he simply frees himself and leaves them.

- Logan goes to Japan to find out more about Muramasa who disappeared. He visits and talks with many enemies and friends as well to learn more and there are whispers about something called the Beast. The Hand is worshipping the Beast and uses Muramasa for their own purposes. Logan later finds that Hand ninjas look possessed.

[X-force - it continues exactly where Wolverine #6 ended]

- Logan finds a temple that is a gateway to Hell. Muramasa is a prisoner of Hell because the Hand enslaved him. They first asked him for an armory of weapons on Earth then sent him to Hell to make two swords in a more special environment, because ‘there is no better forge than Hell because there is no greater blast furnace than Hell’. There will never be a better blade in existence than what he’s making there. He’s also preparing for a ceremony.

- Logan when found the gate to Hell was attacked by Hand ninjas and fell through the gate and into lava. As he emerged nothing was left but his adamantium skeleton. Next scene we see the slowly healing Logan and Solem in a cell. Solem tells Logan his own story of how he got to Hell and about his quest for Muramasa.

- Solem visited the Oracle of Arakko to find out more about Muramasa. She tells him that he can find Muramasa in Hell and his Hellblade (that War gave him) is the key - it can open a gate to Hell. Also tells him that he’ll find a mutant made of metal there who will be his guide to Muramasa.

- As Logan heals up he tells Solem that he’s also looking for the Muramasa sword, so Solem realizes that Logan is his opponent in the contest. He loves the idea that his opponent is seemingly unkillable. Logan thinks he can finish this off on the spot if he just stabs Solem, but he can’t because Solem has adamantium skin. Logan is confused by how this is possible. Then they start to look for Muramasa together in Hell.

- there’s a wedding taking place (I don’t know if we’re supposed to know who they are?) Logan and Solem watching from afar and see Muramasa too who gives the couple two swords as presents – they were forged out of his soul. This marriage ‘heralds a new red dawn, between human and demon’. The couple instead of a kiss, consummating their union with their new swords by killing Muramasa.

- Solem attacks them and kills the groom with his Hellblade and takes his Muramasa sword. In response the bride attacks Solem and manages to wound him with her Muramasa sword which surprises Solem as he didn’t think it was possible. Logan tells him that Muramasa sword can cut through adamantium too. Solem kills the bride and takes her Muramasa sword too then tells Logan that he gives him one of the swords but only if Logan gives him something in return. The chapter ends with Logan arriving to Krakoa and contemplating that only time will tell if the price of the sword was worth the cost while taking his place in the casting circle next to Magik.

- - - -

Interesting details:
    - Logan and Mariko finally had a reunion! Sadly it’s off panel but at least we know that Logan knows that she’s alive too.

- Logan actually had Daken and they were a family even for a short time? In the panel where Logan talks about his past and family we see him with his wife and baby Daken, but originally Itsu was killed while she was still pregnant and Logan never had time with his son. I don’t know if it’s a mistake or a retcon.
    Last edited by DAHX; 10-07-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    Be kind, it's FREE

Loved both of these issues. Solem is already a breakout star for me.

I'm very curious what Logan gave up for the sword.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Mighty Member

Solem is great, and more people need to know that.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Loved both of these issues. Solem is already a breakout star for me.

I'm very curious what Logan gave up for the sword.
    They banged.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    They banged.
    its the only thing that makrs sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    They banged.
    Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    its the only thing that makrs sense.
    Yeah I know I was just being coy.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Solem has turned out to be more interesting than I expected but they were not joking when they defined him as "The Loki of Wolverine", their personalities are very similar.

I think Logan promised that he would let Solem escape from Arakko or something.

These were both great entries into the storyline. I agree Solem was quite an interesting character to read. despite it taking up two issues of the story it didn't feel bloated at all, if we have 22 parts and 3 of those are one shots, that leaves 10 books for the battles, and 9 for the gathering of the swords (noting that Magik already has her sword and I assume Cypher won't need an issue with his sword either?), so if all the other gathering books take up one book each, it works out perfectly this one would have two issues. Again, very entertaining!

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

I thought it was pretty good. It's a very "Wolverine goes to Japan and/or Hell" story, so I can see why some people would be bored of it. I expected Percy to tell a very decompressed story, but he kept it pretty tight. (Please tighten up X-Force!)

Solem is in many ways Daken before they tried to make him something of a hero and without daddy issues, but I'm OK with that. His origin being from Arrako or thereabouts definitely helps. I liked him more than I expected -- the "meet Wolverine's new arch enemy" campaign was... not good.

Solem is adorable.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

So...the Muramasa mentioned twice in XoS Creation wasn't a typo? Interesting.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

Very Wolverine centric, but we knew that. Concepts connected to his history/personal stories were a bit confusing, because I'm not well read when it comes to Logan. Art was really nice. Did enjoy getting to know more of War, and Solem though. Particularly Solem.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

So Solem had an affair with War's husband, Bracken, and they ended up fighting because Bracken didn't want Solem to move on. Solem then kills him to upset the wife...

X-franchise stay messy LMAO

I don't care/like Wolverine enough to be invested in these issues it was aight I guess. I did enjoy Solem

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    So Solem had an affair with War's husband, Bracken, and they ended up fighting because Bracken didn't want Solem to move on. Solem then kills him to upset the wife...

X-franchise stay messy LMAO
    We don't know why Solem killed Bracken. They gave us 3 different rumors and it could have been one of them, all of them, or none of them