Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thank you for the honorable mention, Iron Maiden and congratulations to the winner, Shalla Bal!
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Congratulations to Shalla Bal, and thanks to Attila Kiss for the vote!
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Invincible Member

Congrats, Shalla Bal!

Congrats to Shalla, qand thanks for the two vote for my Marv cover.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Congratulations on the win Shalla Bal!

And thanks to ChadH and worstblogever for your votes!
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Awww, Richard looks so gosh darn cute trying to be badass in his pixie boots!
    IKR lol. Ya know, we let Dick's costume with the green underoos and boots rock WAAAYYYY to long. I mean from his inception through all the way to at least the early 90s. Sure alot of cats fight crime with their thigh meat out but that old school Robin look is kind of jarring now. Hell, I remember Jason Todd's debut and he wore the same **** and nobody batted an eye and Perez made the Titans huge prior to that. I don't think Tim Drake ever did, I feel he had the boy combat jeggings out the gate. Poor Dick even got killed in the near speedos and boots. Denny O'Neil might not have had to push that story in lieu of a pair of tights.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Congratulations to Shalla bal for a marvelous cover which did a mighty job of showing the dark, stormy night. I love the townsperson with the lantern in the background. We do learn from this cover that although Wanda is extremely powerful, she has yet to master the use of the simple buttons on her coat.

Here we go again. Peak of the week, what has the captain learned, and talking about myself in the third person. I was struck by the Peanuts strip and Snoopy's oft-quoted start for his novel. The start was considered a very poor beginning to a story, and yet, here we are, celebrating the covers showing dark stormy nights effective starting the story. And if you don't think covers start stories, read Watchment again. I mean the individual issues, not any collected reprint editions (or 'graphic novel'). That irony can be pretty ironic sometimes. The captain's a math major; they didn't need to be able to properly define irony more than BSing threir way through a HS English essay.

And thanks to Riv86672 for the much appreciated vote. Scott Taylor gets an Honorable Mention thanks for remembering the frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    And thanks to Riv86672 for the much appreciated vote. Scott Taylor gets an Honorable Mention thanks for remembering the frogs.
    A frog-themed contest is way overdue…
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Yay, Shalla!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations to Shalla Ball

And thanks for doing the tally, WPP!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

No sweat, thank YOU. It’s been forever since I watched The Thing!

Congrats Shalla!

Thank you for the vote, Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    A frog-themed contest is way overdue…
    Facts! I was just watching Ragnorok the other day and noticed a reference to Loki turning Thor into a Frog. But I don't recall if that was actually something that happened in the comics as part of all that frog monkey business or not.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Facts! I was just watching Ragnorok the other day and noticed a reference to Loki turning Thor into a Frog. But I don't recall if that was actually something that happened in the comics as part of all that frog monkey business or not.
    In the original Norse myths I can't remember any stories where Thor is transformed (well, except for when he is disguised as Freyja in Žrymskviša). Loki, on the other hand, transforms himself at least to a horse, a horsefly, and a salmon. Frogs were also not unknown to the Vikings, but I can't recall any Norse myths involving them.

Yah mainly I remember talking horses being part of the Norse myths.

I've read different retellings of Norse mythology, be interested if you had a recommendation.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah mainly I remember talking horses being part of the Norse myths.

I've read different retellings of Norse mythology, be interested if you had a recommendation.
    I'd go with D'Aulaires if you haven't read it already. It's a great starting point. Then Snorri Sturlson's Edda as a baseline. Finally, Gaiman's recent retellings are wonderful and fairly true to the source material. If you want to go for a deep dive, read a couple of the Icelandic sagas in translation. The Nibelungenlied is another of interest, it's the source of Wagner's Ring cycle and other adaptations (if you are looking for a comics version, the P. Craig Russell adaptation is the best, but the Roy Thomas/Gil Kane version has its merits as well).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato