Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Fictional villains who would be rejected by the Sinestro Corp?

More specifically, can you think of any villains from fiction who would be accepted into the Green Lantern Corps but explicitly rejected by the Sinestro Corps?

Maybe Gru from Despicable Me. The whole conceit of the character is that he's a supervillain protagonist who's doing good just because he's facing someone even more evil than himself. But he also doesn't inspire fear (he's even a great boss to the Minions). By contrast, the same drive that made him a great supervillain is also the drive that sees him through the end as the hero of his films, so that's a case for willpower to maybe-possibly-eh-Idunno join the Green Lantern Corps.

Megamind, probably.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

hmmm maybe funny valentine. he has the will and the drive to get things done but he wasn't really scary. his stand was scary but not himself.

Mr. Glass would be interesting. Elijah himself isn't all that scary, and I'm not sure if a wheelchair bound man with osteogenesis imperfecta is someone that Sinestro would want on his crew, but the man is a legit genius and he did cause quite a bit of fear through his machinations.

Admittedly though, he had some help from The Beast for the asylum breakout.

Speaking of whom, while The Beast might be a candidate, I'm not sure how the other personalities would affect judgment.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

sensui would be a good choice. well, core sensui anyway. kazuya would definitely be in the SC.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I mean, The Monarch from The Venture Brothers *can* be scary, and is deceptively competent considering that he is up against someone protected by Brock Sampson, but he's not generally the type to even try to create mass terror as opposed to hand crafted annoyances to belabor his cherished nemesis Dr. Rusty Venture with.

And on that note, no matter how bad the forces arrayed against him may be, nothing is going to keep him from pestering Rusty... except for his dedication to Dr. Girlfriend/Dr. Mrs. The Monarch, which is so strong that he is willing to even put aside his hate boner and have Rusty be his best man during their wedding.

So yeah, he might be able to wing by the qualifications for a Green Lantern Ring, but probably wouldn't be able to do the same for the Yellow Lantern Ring, despite the fact that it would match his wardrobe perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I mean, The Monarch from The Venture Brothers *can* be scary, and is deceptively competent considering that he is up against someone protected by Brock Sampson, but he's not generally the type to even try to create mass terror as opposed to hand crafted annoyances to belabor his cherished nemesis Dr. Rusty Venture with.

And on that note, no matter how bad the forces arrayed against him may be, nothing is going to keep him from pestering Rusty... except for his dedication to Dr. Girlfriend/Dr. Mrs. The Monarch, which is so strong that he is willing to even put aside his hate boner and have Rusty be his best man during their wedding.

So yeah, he might be able to wing by the qualifications for a Green Lantern Ring, but probably wouldn't be able to do the same for the Yellow Lantern Ring, despite the fact that it would match his wardrobe perfectly.
    well they are brothers, so it kind of explains the hate boner on a subconscious level.

shame we will never see that storyline go full cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    More specifically, can you think of any villains from fiction who would be accepted into the Green Lantern Corps but explicitly rejected by the Sinestro Corps?
    This ^ premise was explored in one of the best characters intros of the GL corps.
    Arkkis Chummuck. Who was the "villain" of the GL he kills, and yet still inherits that ring as a the next worthy successor.
    If he'd at the time by the same token been rejected by the Sin Corps, depends on the nuance of the criteria for it.
    If it's just a blanket instill great fear, he may have been accepted (it'd have been interesting if they retroactively had both existed, to have seen him recognized and end up with both rings at once).
    However if it's the motive behind that ability, no, he would have been rejected, as that was never his driving motive.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-08-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Kid Buu (just slightly more sentient than a rabid animal)
    Zamasu (all forms), had it out for ANYONE not a deity
    Freeza. Not out to protect anyone. In fact, he's the kind of person that is the root CAUSE for organizations like the Lanterns to form. Would he use the ring? Yes. Would Sinestro be in control? No. Sinestro would end up with a hole in his chest and Freeza conscripting the Yellow Lanterns into the Freeza Force.
    Condiment King. The name says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Kid Buu (just slightly more sentient than a rabid animal)
    Zamasu (all forms), had it out for ANYONE not a deity
    Freeza. Not out to protect anyone. In fact, he's the kind of person that is the root CAUSE for organizations like the Lanterns to form. Would he use the ring? Yes. Would Sinestro be in control? No. Sinestro would end up with a hole in his chest and Freeza conscripting the Yellow Lanterns into the Freeza Force.
    I'm thinking even if Sinestro didn't want Buu or Zamasu, the rings will still fly to them and try to get them to join -- they're plenty terrifying enough (if you can scare gods, you're pretty overqualified for the role). And when Yellow Lantern Mongul fought Sinestro against his wishes, Sinestro only won because he overrode Mongul's rings, but all those DB villains are simply too fast to allow that to happen. The only differences between the three of them are simply how quickly and in what ways they stop him.

Zamasu may see himself above the rings and could likely prevent it from coming to him, but I imagine Buu seeing it as an interesting toy and letting it come to him out of curiosity, and the Yellow rings have been attracted to berzerkers and animals (and even a virus) before.

Frieza may just be the crazy sumbitch who would attempt to use several rings simultaneously -- he's certainly got rage, fear, and likely even willpower covered, and maybe avarice too (he's certainly greedy but not maniacally so). And if he figures out how to replicate the ring like Sinestro can, then his Frieza Force will be virtually unstoppable. He's certainly a prodigy, after all.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-08-2020 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I'm thinking even if Sinestro didn't want Buu or Zamasu, the rings will still fly to them and try to get them to join -- they're plenty terrifying enough (if you can scare gods, you're pretty overqualified for the role). And when Yellow Lantern Mongul fought Sinestro against his wishes, Sinestro only won because he overrode Mongul's rings, but all those DB villains are simply too fast to allow that to happen. The only differences between the three of them are simply how quickly and in what ways they stop him.

Zamasu may see himself above the rings and could likely prevent it from coming to him, but I imagine Buu seeing it as an interesting toy and letting it come to him out of curiosity, and the Yellow rings have been attracted to berzerkers and animals (and even a virus) before.

Frieza may just be the crazy sumbitch who would attempt to use several rings simultaneously -- he's certainly got rage, fear, and likely even willpower covered, and maybe avarice too (he's certainly greedy but not maniacally so). And if he figures out how to replicate the ring like Sinestro can, then his Frieza Force will be virtually unstoppable. He's certainly a prodigy, after all.
    I just don't see Kid Buu being controlled. Being an animal is one thing. But like I said, Kid Buu (not Fat or Super Buu) was basically barely a step above a rabid animal. Unpredictable, destructive, and might accidentally destroy the ring anyway after blowing up a world (while on it, not bothering to shield himself).

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I just don't see Kid Buu being controlled. Being an animal is one thing. But like I said, Kid Buu (not Fat or Super Buu) was basically barely a step above a rabid animal. Unpredictable, destructive, and might accidentally destroy the ring anyway after blowing up a world (while on it, not bothering to shield himself).
    Oh, most certainly he can't be controlled. But getting the ring and getting controlled are two very different things. There are plenty of Yellow Lanterns who've had to be reined in by Sinestro or even fought him (again, like Mongul), and I really don't think Sinesto can stand up to Buu nevermind control him, but that also doesn't mean Buu can't get, or even wield, the ring.

The sequence for the Yellow Lantern Corps is usually a ring goes to a candidate of its choice, the candidate puts it on (or the ring just puts itself onto the candidate), and *then* the candidate is sent for reconditioning. Buu can easily just let the ring come and is definitely strong enough to resist being sent for reconditioning. But if the ring chooses you, and you just accept it or let it do its thing, you're a Yellow Lantern even before the reconditioning -- you don't have to be controlled to be a Yellow Lantern.
    Last edited by Cyke; 10-09-2020 at 01:41 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    hmmm maybe funny valentine. he has the will and the drive to get things done but he wasn't really scary. his stand was scary but not himself.
    Valentine is kind of a bad fit, less because of his ability to inspire fear, but more because he doesn't stand to gain anything from the Yellow Lantern Corps and he's all about ruthless self interest. He'd get kicked out of either Corps because he is only out for himself on a multiversal scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Mr. Glass would be interesting. Elijah himself isn't all that scary, and I'm not sure if a wheelchair bound man with osteogenesis imperfecta is someone that Sinestro would want on his crew, but the man is a legit genius and he did cause quite a bit of fear through his machinations.
    I think Glass would be a good fit actually.

The Ring can more than make up for Elijah's physical imperfections, both the Green and Yellow Corps have a history of not caring about a recruit's physical limitations. He can inspire fear and he's highly intelligent and cruel. His hang ups about superheroes are more likely what would hold him back from flourishing in the Sinestro Corps. The guy wants to make heroes and Sinestro is not interested in that.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I think that the first thing that Mr. Glass would do if he got a Yellow Lantern Ring, after reinforcing his skeleton (maybe? his entire identity is kinda wrapped up in his fragility), would be to try and team up with Zoom.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 10-09-2020 at 05:02 PM.