Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you imagine a new Wonder Woman TV series might look like?

If you just had Diana, Etta, Steve and Hippolyta or Mala to build a TV show premise around, ..what might a new Wonder Woman TV series look like? Where is the setting for the series...Gateway City, D.C. or the Wonderdome? Who are the special or recurring characters (guest-stars), ..like Troy, Artemis, Queen Desira or Hercules? Of Ares, the Baroness, Queen Clea, Abner Smith, Cheetah, Veronica Cale and First Born, ..who will be this new, TV Wonder Woman's archenemy?

Would the CW model, pairing a superhero, with a team of less-super side characters, influence your idea for a WW TV show?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-08-2020 at 12:35 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I probably wouldn't have a live action show, I would have an animated/anime show. There is just so much more you can do with a character as powerful as Diana in animation than live action (that isn't a block buster movie).

I think I would model it after Game of Thrones and Doom Patrol; 10-12 episodes maybe and hour long each. It be episodic so, the whole season will build to a grand finale with individual stories mixed in like a two part silver swan story in the middle of season 3.

The settings would be a mix of iconic places: Themiscyra (obviously), Gateway City, and the Sphere of Gods. Other places like Egypt, China, and South America for the other amazons tribes would make small appearances.

Main Character: Diana
    Main Side Characters: Steve, Etta, Hippolyta, Barabra Minerva (before she's cheetah), Cassie, Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis, Helena Sandsmark, I-Ching, Myndi Mayer
    Recurring characters: Donna, Nubia, Peng Delian, Maria Mendoza, Diana's amazon friends (Mala, Io, Hessia, etc...), Artemis
    Main (multi season) antagonists: Ares, Circe, Cheetah and Godwatch (Dr. Cyber/Cale/Poison)
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Second an animated series over a live-action show.

Especially since it’d probably be on the CW and I can’t say I’d be interested in that.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    I probably wouldn't have a live action show, I would have an animated/anime show. There is just so much more you can do with a character as powerful as Diana in animation than live action (that isn't a block buster movie).

I think I would model it after Game of Thrones and Doom Patrol; 10-12 episodes maybe and hour long each. It be episodic so, the whole season will build to a grand finale with individual stories mixed in like a two part silver swan story in the middle of season 3.

The settings would be a mix of iconic places: Themiscyra (obviously), Gateway City, and the Sphere of Gods. Other places like Egypt, China, and South America for the other amazons tribes would make small appearances.

Main Character: Diana
    Main Side Characters: Steve, Etta, Hippolyta, Barabra Minerva (before she's cheetah), Cassie, Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis, Helena Sandsmark, I-Ching, Myndi Mayer
    Recurring characters: Donna, Nubia, Peng Delian, Maria Mendoza, Diana's amazon friends (Mala, Io, Hessia, etc...), Artemis
    Main (multi season) antagonists: Ares, Circe, Cheetah and Godwatch (Dr. Cyber/Cale/Poison)
    Sure, it could be an animated series!

For a live-action series, ..I would put Diana, Etta and Mala in a brownstone mansion, which multi-purposed, as home, arsenal and command center. This new Diana would play, like a mix of Highlander and Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, ..with scrappy, LGBTQ Etta, as action companion and comic relief. Mala, the show's resident computer genius, allows the show a connection to Diana's Amazon origin, while keeping stories grounded in a reality-based Man's World. Visits to a heavy CGI-crafted Paradise Island, with Hippolyta, would be special events.

For an animated program, I would keep Mala on the island, with the other Amazons, ..with Queen Hippolyta and Paradise Island, standing in for Alfred and the Batcave. With lower costs to represent the Island, Themyscira would feature more in stories. The same dynamic would apply to Ferdinand, whose prosthetics would be a strain on a live-action budget, and other fantastic recurring characters.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-08-2020 at 02:10 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

Unless it's given the budget of something like The Mandalorian, Stargirl, or one of Marvel's upcoming Disney+ shows, I would just go with a series of animated movies on top of the live action one's we're already getting.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

A commercially successful TV series, taking Jenkins' Diana into action-packed, weekly adventures, with Etta and Steve in tow - Mala keeping house - might improve the comic, ..through tying-in. Tie-in with the Cartoon Network show ruined the Titan comics, but, the WW comics being such a mess, could be gently nudged into a second golden age, driven by a new generation of fans.

When I saw this I immediately thought of Wonder Woman:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAQh544RHE

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    When I saw this I immediately thought of Wonder Woman:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JAQh544RHE
    Same! I want to watch it when its out. Though I don't think that this would be the animation style I would want for a WW anime series.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    If you just had Diana, Etta, Steve and Hippolyta or Mala to build a TV show premise around, ..what might a new Wonder Woman TV series look like? Where is the setting for the series...Gateway City, D.C. or the Wonderdome? Who are the special or recurring characters (guest-stars), ..like Troy, Artemis, Queen Desira or Hercules? Of Ares, the Baroness, Queen Clea, Abner Smith, Cheetah, Veronica Cale and First Born, ..who will be this new, TV Wonder Woman's archenemy?

Would the CW model, pairing a superhero, with a team of less-super side characters, influence your idea for a WW TV show?
    You basically laid out the CW model in your premise.
    Steve, Etta, Hippolyta, Mala...would all support Diana in various ways. Other characters could, I’m sure, be added (Myndi Mayer would be great, and have that tension of “are they going to do THE storyline w. her).
    Gateway as a suburb of Washington DC is an idea I read here recently that would give you the best of both worlds.
    Your list of potential recurring characters is good, too. Honestly, there’s a lot that a weekly show could work w. in terms of villains and allies.
    Fans would be waiting for the introduction of Wonder Girl, and if Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, and Vanessa Kapatelis were introduced at various points, a lot of fun could be had in who finally ends up w. the title...

Game of Thrones meets Watchmen meets Lovecraft Country meets Scandal meets She-Ra and the Princesses of Power.

Game of Thrones for a/a elements, mythology, time’s past elements in an ancient more magical world, drama, intrigue, a cast of thousands, and epic-ness in storytelling.

Watchmen for superheroes in a world getting used to them, secret histories, a/a, mystery, and heroines and villains and characters that are multiple shades of gray.

Lovecraft Country for horror, themes of morality, bigotry, and hatred, representation, and magic.

Scandal for empowered female characters, soap opera, romance, politics, and secret organizations.

She-Ra for representation; ethnicity, body type, queerness, etc.; mythology, technology, and bright, colorfulness in the face of evil.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 10-09-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Series 1 Leads: Diana, Steve, and Etta. Series 1 Supporting Characters: Myndi Mayer, Kevin Mayer, Julia Kapatelis, Vanessa Kapatelis, Barbara Minerva, Tom Tressor, Donna Troy, and ARGUS. Series 1 Bads: Ares and his children, Medusa and her sisters, Heracles, Priscilla Rich, Doctor Psycho, Veronica Cale, Paula von Gunther, and the Minotaur.

Series 2 Leads: Diana, Steve, and Etta. Series 2 Supporting Characters (in addition to S1): Helena Sandsmark, Cassie Sandsmark, the Holliday Girls, Diana’s neighbors Lance and Todd, Camille Sly, Ed Indelicato, Trevor Barnes, Leslie Anderson, Cylvia Cyber, Ferdinand, and Hermes. Series 2 Bads (in addition to some returning villains from S1): Giganta, Captain Wonder, Angle Man, Crimson Centipede, Doctor Poison, Silver Swan, Doctor Cyber, Inversion, Human Fireworks, Mouse Man, Crimson Men, Eros, Doctor Domino, and Cheetah.

Series 3 adds Hippolyta and the Amazons, Troy, the embassy staff from Diana’s time in New York, Donna Milton, and Achilles Warkiller as well as Circe, Dark Angel, Queen Clea, Anton Unreal, and the Queen of Fables.

Series 4 adds Andros as well as Eviless, Villainy Inc, the Skrill, Adjudicator, and Superwoman.

Astonishing Member

Cassie would be the miancharacter and Diana the mentor.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    You basically laid out the CW model in your premise.
    Steve, Etta, Hippolyta, Mala...would all support Diana in various ways. Other characters could, I’m sure, be added (Myndi Mayer would be great, and have that tension of “are they going to do THE storyline w. her).
    Gateway as a suburb of Washington DC is an idea I read here recently that would give you the best of both worlds.
    Your list of potential recurring characters is good, too. Honestly, there’s a lot that a weekly show could work w. in terms of villains and allies.
    Fans would be waiting for the introduction of Wonder Girl, and if Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, and Vanessa Kapatelis were introduced at various points, a lot of fun could be had in who finally ends up w. the title...
    Thank you!

I think I would like the narrative structure that tying-in with a CW series would bring the WW comic. While Diana, Etta, Steve and Mala are humanoid, I can imagine Diana's Army (Tm. Wonder) being more mismatched, than Flash's, Supergirl's or Green Arrow's, ..with the Amazons, Desira of Venus, Troy, Sargon, the Spectre and other non-regular, recurring characters, from the comic, drifting in, as the series progressed. The core would be those three or four humanoids, though.

Presently, the WW comic has no core...no narrative center.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Presently, the WW comic has no core...no narrative center.
    That’s usually a weak point for the WW book...

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    That’s usually a weak point for the WW book...
    The WW show from the 70s would have been so much stronger and long-lived, if only it had been built around Diana's relationship with a slightly bumbling, modern, everywoman companion (Etta or Pat) and her tough-but-caring, comedically feminist queen-mother (Hippolyta), a gruff, old-fashioned, but, sometimes-paternal male (Gen. Darnell or Zeus) and Lyle Wagoner ..or Ted Shackelford.

American TV shows are great for their engaging, sometimes formulaic, narrative structure, ..the so-called situation! When writers, producers and actors get it right, it's a magical, life-changing enterprise that can last for decades, ..and tying into a good one would be great for the WW comic. I think it would be just the thing to finally give the comic that timeless, emotionally engaging narrative-value, which invites fans to emotionally invest in a series, in the way they do in the situations of long-running shows, like Bewitched, Hunter, Mission Impossible, Adventures of Superman and Charlie's Angels. This has eluded the WW comic, because it doesn't have editors that give it the kind of care and long-range planning that those TV series and comics, like Amazing Spider-Man, Batman and Superman have always enjoyed.

Some of fans have waiting for decades to see the WW get that. If the only way it can happen is to tie-in the comic, with a successful TV series, as with the Superman comics and the 50s TV show, ..bring it on!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-11-2020 at 05:35 AM.