Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I would die for a new WW live action tv series.

Themyscira would mainly be used as flashbacks similar to Arrow.

Diana would be an antiques dealer like in the films and primarily live in Gateway City which is a hotspot for the supernatural but she would still travel. Multiple hotspots would be around the world but by the time Diana arrives in Mans World, Gateway would be the most active.

There would still be the contest but maybe with a twist. There have been multiple contests throughout the centuries for an Amazon to live in Mans World to keep Themyscira up to date with what is happening in the world. The most current one was murdered somehow and thus a new contest has to be called. Maybe she learned of a plan to expose the location of Themiscrya, and we get a twist of Steve Trevor landing on the island wherein he/Amazon are attempting to stop a militia from finding Themiscrya (unbeknownst to Trevor). They all manage to crash, the Amazon ends up dead. This is where Diana finally decides to go behind her mothers back to participate. (this would end up being a ploy of Circe/Ares working together in the modern world)

As the series goes on Donna would be added to the cast and maybe Cassie.

The New Gods would be a season long villain at some point in time with Granny Goodness/The Furies bringing about the birth of Grail who is like the Glory to WWs Buffy.

One of my wild dreams was to watch a Wonder Woman origin series, similar to Smallville and Gotham, called "Themyscira". It would be focused on Hyppolita and a young Diana, and of course the other amazons like Nubia, Antiope and Menallippe.

The focus of the story would be Diana slowly discovering her powers, having interactions with the Pantheon (such as Hermes), finding out about Zeus, and having Ares as a villain (for, idk, a prophecy, or wanting to be Zeus' favorite, or something like that).

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The WW show from the 70s would have been so much stronger and long-lived, if only it had been built around Diana's relationship with a slightly bumbling, modern, everywoman companion (Etta or Pat) and her tough-but-caring, comedically feminist queen-mother (Hippolyta), a gruff, old-fashioned, but, sometimes-paternal male (Gen. Darnell or Zeus) and Lyle Wagoner ..or Ted Shackelford.

American TV shows are great for their engaging, sometimes formulaic, narrative structure, ..the so-called situation! When writers, producers and actors get it right, it's a magical, life-changing enterprise that can last for decades, ..and tying into a good one would be great for the WW comic. I think it would be just the thing to finally give the comic that timeless, emotionally engaging narrative-value, which invites fans to emotionally invest in a series, in the way they do in the situations of long-running shows, like Bewitched, Hunter, Mission Impossible, Adventures of Superman and Charlie's Angels. This has eluded the WW comic, because it doesn't have editors that give it the kind of care and long-range planning that those TV series and comics, like Amazing Spider-Man, Batman and Superman have always enjoyed.

Some of fans have waiting for decades to see the WW get that. If the only way it can happen is to tie-in the comic, with a successful TV series, as with the Superman comics and the 50s TV show, ..bring it on!
    You make some really good points re: her TV series/a possible TV series.
    Representation in other media can really impact a character. The 50s Superman series (and radio series before that) laid out and or cemented his persona, as a mild mannered reporter and solidified (and even created) The Daily Planet cast. The 60s Batman series camped Batman severely, but, it also established his core Rogues Gallery, and turned his utility belt into a character in its own right. And it took Aquaman forever to escape the stigma of The Superfriends cartoon.
    The WW show was fun, but it really didn’t do for her what other shows did for her male counterparts. We all remember the outfit, and the spin, and...that’s about it.
    No engaging supporting cast other than Steve, sparodic Amazon appearances, no villains to remember. It was a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    The WW show from the 70s would have been so much stronger and long-lived, if only it had been built around Diana's relationship with a slightly bumbling, modern, everywoman companion (Etta or Pat) and her tough-but-caring, comedically feminist queen-mother (Hippolyta), a gruff, old-fashioned, but, sometimes-paternal male (Gen. Darnell or Zeus) and Lyle Wagoner ..or Ted Shackelford.
    I maintain that the short-lived ABC WWII-era iteration of the show was doing all of these things. Beatrice Colen’s Etta was a bumbling everywoman who had a “just us girls” friendship with Diana Prince. Carolyn Jones’ Hippolyta was comedic and feminist, General Blankenship was gruff. We got a Wonder Girl, a version of Baroness Von Gunther, Fausta, and a nod to Giganta with Gargantua. The Amazons appeared in three additional episodes besides the pilot.

It was the CBS version that shot everything to hell.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I maintain that the short-lived ABC WWII-era iteration of the show was doing all of these things. Beatrice Colen’s Etta was a bumbling everywoman who had a “just us girls” friendship with Diana Prince. Carolyn Jones’ Hippolyta was comedic and feminist, General Blankenship was gruff. We got a Wonder Girl, a version of Baroness Von Gunther, Fausta, and a nod to Giganta with Gargantua. The Amazons appeared in three additional episodes besides the pilot.

It was the CBS version that shot everything to hell.
    It might have been an even bigger hit, if the CBS show was built around Diana's butt-kicking and friendship with Rita, and IADC Director Joe Aikens backing her up, in action, sometimes. It might have been nice, if Lyndas Diana had some regular friends for us to emotionally invest in, though I doubt Lynda's representation would have been for it, ..as costars might have had an adverse effect on her high salary.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Spectacular Member

Why wasnt cheetah on the show? 40s or 70s version. Why couldn't she glide on currents? Why didnt they use her rogues gallery & where was her super speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Why wasnt cheetah on the show? 40s or 70s version. Why couldn't she glide on currents? Why didnt they use her rogues gallery & where was her super speed?
    Budget constraints for the most part, I'd imagine. Though from what I've seen superhero T.V. adaptations before and during that time largely made up their own villains-of-the-week for the most part.

Though the Barbara and Priscilla versions of Cheetah would show up in the continuation comic.

Diana, Etta and playfully naughty Queen Desira would work for me, just as well.

Read the stories on Comixology - Marston often used Desira, as a proxy for Hippolyta...why? Desira, in narrative function, is a slightly more exaggerated Hippolyta, who can leave the island, annoy Etta and hang out, with Diana, ..and all of that is very useful, narrative speaking. I think we need another female character, who brings to the comic, what Endora brought to Bewitched.

I'm not stuck on getting Mala, off the island. The WW comic gets dull and stale, like an island of moldy, marble statues. This book needs some whimsy, character diversity and, well...fun?

Not all of that would make it to a TV series. Maybe, enough would to create the whimsy of 'Bewitched', with the action of 'Xena'.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-15-2020 at 07:34 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!