23 52.27%
  • no sir, I don't like that

11 25.00%
  • I don't care, his lightning color (like life) doesnt matter

9 20.45%
  • I do care, but I have a different color in mind

1 2.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The first comic I ever read with him when I was a kid was an issue of Batman and the Outsiders, and maybe this sounds naive, but I saw that his lightning bolts were black, and I thought "Oh, that must be why they call him Black Lightning!" Like it was the only possible explanation, and not the dated reference to his race that flew more or less over my head.

So... I like that. I imagine that early in his days as a crime fighter, someone said "He shoots black lightning from his hands!" and it got picked up by the news outlets, that kind of thing, haha!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Astonishing Member

He should use regular lightning and only bring out the black lightning as a last resort.

Hell yeah to Black lightning!

The literal black lightning is such a cool visual. And regular white lightning is too commonplace in every medium as to look boring.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

This was kind of interesting.

If he uses black lightning, I'd prefer it to be under specific conditions for a specific purpose. There's so much you could do with electricity that he shouldn't be confined to just zapping people.

Mighty Member

Yes to literal black lighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Only on special occasions. Like a blast to level Darkseid or something.
    I admit that would be cool to see, especially since I do not think Darkseid has really had any encounters with Black Lightning
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I'm good with either version but I do think Black Lightning's black lightning looks cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Only on special occasions. Like a blast to level Darkseid or something.
    Heh...the black lightning as a power-up is actually a pretty cool compromise.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    We've had this discussion before and I think it should be a tool in his arsenal, or use it to denote when he's really channeling some juice... But it's too cool a visual not to use to his advantage and makes him a little more unique. Jefferson should be the final word on lightning at DC so I kind of want him to have something uniquely his own.
    Agreed.

A literal color black electrical bolts should be BLs ultimate special super-bolt ability reserved against truely powerful supervillians

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    This was kind of interesting.

If he uses black lightning, I'd prefer it to be under specific conditions for a specific purpose. There's so much you could do with electricity that he shouldn't be confined to just zapping people.
    Exactly!!!

I have seen some fans advocating for BL to become like Static and/or Monica which would be super dumb a d unnecessary in my opinion bcuz there are still so much he can do with electricity.

Heck in the tv show he can fly (I need to know how this works regarding BLs powers) and has x-ray vision.

Only as a special move, I don't think it should be that all the time. I've also been thinking of different color lightning meaning powers like purple for magnetism etc.. I haven't thought it all the way out but that's what I got for now.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I like the visual of black lightning and I also remember seeing him fire black lightning in Batman and the Outsiders back in the 80s. But I'm cool with the normal white/blue lightning being used mainly. I agree that the black should be his final attack used for big bosses like Darkseid and such.

Incredible Member

I like it from a visual perspective, and how unique it is to him.

I think he should have both and like others have said, the "black" lightning shouldbe more powerful but i think it should leave him weaker, more drained when he uses it.

It's not something that he should be using on a regular basis

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I think he should have both and like others have said, the "black" lightning shouldbe more powerful but i think it should leave him weaker, more drained when he uses it.

It's not something that he should be using on a regular basis
    Kind of like Superman's solar flare? That could be an interesting tool in Jeff's arsenal that also gives him a bit of a visual signature to his finishing moves, and I like that if it fails he now has to adapt.

BANNED