23 52.27%
  • no sir, I don't like that

11 25.00%
  • I don't care, his lightning color (like life) doesnt matter

9 20.45%
  • I do care, but I have a different color in mind

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should Black Lightning's lightning be black?

pretty straight forward, should Black Lightning's lightning be black regularly? I'm very firmly in the camp that it should, I like quirks like that that distinguish a character. another reason I loved Static on Static Shock was because of his purple lightning, it was so visually interesting to me and made him stick out more than other electric heroes i saw in just about any medium growing up; Jeff should get something similar to set him apart.

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

No, I don’t think so. In my opinion they did that as a way to cover up the fact that so many black characters have “Black” in their code names. It’s like, “see it’s not about his race. It’s about the actual black electricity.” I prefer they just own it like the show does.

Truthfully it just seemed kind of forced and reminded me of Chris Rock’s old SNL character Nat X. His intro was very blacksploitation-y and one of the lines said “a man so black he pees oil!”

.....wait you mean he doesn’t already? I know I’m not the biggest black Lightning fan (I do really like him though), but I thought he could shoot various types of electricity.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I don't hate it, but it adds kind of a thematically dark vibe that distracts from the electric aesthetic. Blue is cool, it looks good with his costume as well. I like the right image a lot.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

No coz I like the contrast of his predominantly dark appearance with the white lightning
    I'd like it if he has a white/light costume

I think it'd be neat as a nod to the show but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    pretty straight forward, should Black Lightning's lightning be black regularly? I'm very firmly in the camp that it should, I like quirks like that that distinguish a character. another reason I loved Static on Static Shock was because of his purple lightning, it was so visually interesting to me and made him stick out more than other electric heroes i saw in just about any medium growing up; Jeff should get something similar to set him apart.

I could go either way really as I have seen it a number of colors. But in my head the black color I always assumed was the uberhadoooooooken version and I think affords the writer to deviate from regular physics of they wanted. I think there is opportunity for development there regarding effects.

Could see literal black electricity being a striking effect, but I guess I don't care that much.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Black Lightning having black-colored lightning is beautiful, visually unique enough to work as his signature, and thematically appropriate on more than one level.

Astonishing Member

It would definitely be cool, but (take this with a grain of salt) not very realistic, so probably not.

Mighty Member

i want Black Lightning's Lightning to look like lightning not something that is going to confuse a newbie reader. Call me a traditionalist, but i like the stats quo, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

It doesn't even look like electricity in the left image. No to literal black lightning.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

We've had this discussion before and I think it should be a tool in his arsenal, or use it to denote when he's really channeling some juice... But it's too cool a visual not to use to his advantage and makes him a little more unique. Jefferson should be the final word on lightning at DC so I kind of want him to have something uniquely his own.

Only on special occasions. Like a blast to level Darkseid or something.

I never thought of the black lightning as a stronger attack. That would be cool .