Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Like Abbott And Costello Meet Frankenstein, it's something of a comedy that is taking place inside the confines of a horror film.

The first one ? No. The second one ? Yes! I watched some of the second one as a kid and it scared me so bad I still haven’t been able to watch it to this day LOL!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Ghostbusters have more to do with a comedy that a horror movie even with the subject matter of the movie and having very well made horror scenes (As the Libary Ghost scene).

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Blazing Saddles IS a western, though.
    With a pie fight in the studio cafeteria.

Outside of their eventual possession of Louis, Dana, and her transformation into the Stay Puffed Marshmallow man which are mostly played for laughs (Although Sigourney still comes across as somewhat intimidating as Zuul), The demon dogs and Gozer are one of the more unsettling aspects of the film. The first fridge scene for example and when the ghosts drag Dana and her chair towards Zuul for instance.
    Also the breakout scene (Which has the film's goriest ghost, the cab driver). The music in particular (Mick Smiley's "Magic", or at least the part they used in the film) works really well.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-09-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member

It was horror for kids the same way Goosebumps would be--kids might find it scary but adults won't really get scared. Similarly, as a kid watching I didn't get half of the jokes. Different audiences can get something different out of the film, and a film you'll notice different things as you get older--makes for a classic.

Apparently, a lot of parents did have problems with the PG rating of the film and said it should have been rated PG-13 at the time.

II also has some spooky bits, although not as much. The opening, bathtub, some of Ghanosh's posessed forms (The flashlight eyes and the ghost "Nanny") and most of all, the subway with the heads on pikes (Probably intended to be Vigo's victims, as he's clearly based on Vlad the Impaler AKA Dracula).

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    It was horror for kids the same way Goosebumps would be--kids might find it scary but adults won't really get scared. Similarly, as a kid watching I didn't get half of the jokes. Different audiences can get something different out of the film, and a film you'll notice different things as you get older--makes for a classic.

Apparently, a lot of parents did have problems with the PG rating of the film and said it should have been rated PG-13 at the time.
    There was no PG-13 at the time.

PG was the PG-13.

Red Dawn got the first PG-13 rating later in August of 1984.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

It doesn't quite have quite the gore or violence of "Gremlins" or "Temple of Doom" which I think also prompted the rating. It's kind of like Poltergeist, the images and hauntings are scary and a bit gross but nobody actually dies.

Did you know ghostbusters and gremlins came out on the same day! Both were huge hits but ghostbusters came in first at the box office over gremlins!

It’s an adventure film with comedy and horror elements.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Kind of falls into the same sweet spot as "Beetlejuice" and "Army of Darkness."
    I really don't think there is any horror in Ghostbusters and Beetlejuice. No horror in Nightmare Before Christmas, either.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Did you know ghostbusters and gremlins came out on the same day! Both were huge hits but ghostbusters came in first at the box office over gremlins!
    There's some kind of anecdote I think about Ghostbusters's filming blocking New York traffic on the Gremlins commentary. Not sure what context it was though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The first one ? No. The second one ? Yes! I watched some of the second one as a kid and it scared me so bad I still haven’t been able to watch it to this day LOL!
    I was just about to point that out myself. The first one is more comedy, maybe slightly dark comedy, with some sci-fi elements thrown in. The sequel though, was more a horror comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It’s ominous, though. It’s not a horror movie, but it’s got atmosphere when it wants it. It’s spooky.

I think part of what makes it so good is that it straddles the lines. You can’t pin it down to one thing. I think that it does all these things so well is what makes it such a great movie.
    Similar to Beetlejuice in that regard. The original script for Beetlejuice was written by horror writer Michael McDowell, a close friend of Stephen and Tabitha King, and was originally intended to be far scarier.

Obviously, with the people involved, GHOSTBUSTERS was always intended to be a comedy, but Ackroyd did use his family history as inspiration. His grandfather was a spiritualist and ghosthunter. Nowadays, it's not uncommon to see Ackroyd hosting many of those unintentionally ridiculous paranormal shows.

There was an interesting period back then where most low-budger horror movies were filled with comedic elements like RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, the HOUSE and WAXWORK movies as well as the little monster sub-genre of films that came out of the Gremlin movies like the LEPRECHAUN, CRITTERS and PUPPET MASTER movies. Fred Krueger became "Freddy" and started spouting one-liners like a demented looney toons character. A lot of filmmakers who are good at comedy also seem pretty good at horror as well.