View Poll Results: What is your status with Superman/Wonder Woman?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought the first issue and every one since

24 77.42%
  • I was reading it but have dropped it.

5 16.13%
  • I wasn't reading it at first but now am a regular.

1 3.23%
  • I read it if its important for other stories.

1 3.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Question for readers or former readers of Superman/Wonder Woman

Just a straight up poll of where you are with the book.

There is an identical poll being posted on the Superman boards - please dont post on both.

Oh, and reading in the responses means purchasing
    Last edited by brettc1; 08-16-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I've read every issue and continue to enjoy the series even though the current issue was the most boring to date, it still wasn't horrible.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member

I notice Kidstandout voted on both polls. Which would you like me to count your result towards?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I notice Kidstandout voted on both polls. Which would you like me to count your result towards?
    didn't see your OP, count it towards whichever

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I am one of those weirdos who buys for the characters mostly and there are three DC characters I will always buy pretty much no matter what. Dick Grayson, Superman & Wonder Woman. Initially the book started really strongly but the Doomed storyline really has dragged on way too long across all the books. It's been an interesting take, yes, but it has travelled far past necessary to me.

Very sad to see Soule (and Daniels) go as I would have really liked to see Soule on the book for a very long time, but I am looking forward to Tomasi & Mahnke taking over as well.

Dropped it after knowing that in Soule's view Diana can't go to space.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Wonder Woman X Superman Diana X Kal's Avatar

I will always buy every single issue <3
    Last edited by Diana X Kal; 08-16-2014 at 09:32 PM.
    Wonder Woman <3

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Dropped it after knowing that in Soule's view Diana can't go to space.
    What a bizarre thing to drop a comic over. Do you boycott Alex Ross because he thinks Black Adam can beat Diana in a fight?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    What a bizarre thing to drop a comic over. Do you boycott Alex Ross because he thinks Black Adam can beat Diana in a fight?
    that and its not like she started out with that power pre 52, she had to acquire it

'bought issues only last month due to financial constraints. 'been a huge fan of the pairing since the '70s and quite happy that they have an on-going title.

that said, the doomed arc has adversely affected my appetite. perhaps the new creative team will eventually redeem wonder woman's standing in this book. a diana-focused storyline is long overdue! i want superman to be a supporting er supportive character in the next arc.
    Last edited by technosprite1981; 08-17-2014 at 09:06 AM.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    What a bizarre thing to drop a comic over.
    you've been here longer than me, I believe. does it really surprise you when ppl drop titles for any reason they can muster up to soothe their fanboy rage?
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    that and its not like she started out with that power pre 52, she had to acquire it
    Although Diana's ability to go into space has fluctuated, she has had it on and off for her entire publishing history.

In fact, when Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot are introduced in 1959 (as younger versions of Diana), one of the first things they do is fly off into space. Additionally, in Silver Age JLA stories, when the team breaks into smaller groups, you often see Superman and WW team up with each other to deal with threats from outer space.

While it may seem like a arbitrary idea to drop a book because "Diana can't go into outer space", in the DCU where more than half of the major story arcs and crossovers take place on another planet or in outer space... it is not a small consideration.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    Although Diana's ability to go into space has fluctuated, she has had it on and off for her entire publishing history.

In fact, when Wonder Girl and Wonder Tot are introduced in 1959 (as younger versions of Diana), one of the first things they do is fly off into space. Additionally, in Silver Age JLA stories, when the team breaks into smaller groups, you often see Superman and WW team up with each other to deal with threats from outer space.

While it may seem like a arbitrary idea to drop a book because "Diana can't go into outer space", in the DCU where more than half of the major story arcs and crossovers take place on another planet or in outer space... it is not a small consideration.
    but you said it yourself though, it's been on and off, getting mad about something thats never been set in stone seems fishy

Well, unless the poster always drops the title when the same thing occurs,

For example, WW is my favorite super hero bar none. She is the only character that I chose to maintain any kind of current connection with. But I have very specific criteria for actually going out and buying a current issue.

The art has to be good.
    WW has to be Diana. Not Hippolyta or Artemis or Donna Troy.
    Diana has to be in a recognizable WW costume. No pants. No armor.
    She has to show some sort of super power. No depowered WW stories for me. Been thru the mod days, been there done that.
    She has to appear in most of the pages of the book.
    It can't be depressing.
    It can't be too violent. I understand that limits what I buy in the current marketplace where "action" and "violent" are synonymous, but I know what I like.

I know that sounds like a big checklist, but having been a fan of the character since the 60's, I am fine with the occasional tale that resonates with me.

The Superman/WW title works for me 50/50. It has art that I like, is really Diana, and is not always as violent as other titles. The Doomed story line has not worked for me. SO I haven't purchased any of it. Issue 12 is supposed to be romantic. So I will PROBABLY buy it.

For this particular poll, I would have added. "Buy occasional issues."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    Well, unless the poster always drops the title when the same thing occurs,

For example, WW is my favorite super hero bar none. She is the only character that I chose to maintain any kind of current connection with. But I have very specific criteria for actually going out and buying a current issue.

The art has to be good.
    WW has to be Diana. Not Hippolyta or Artemis or Donna Troy.
    Diana has to be in a recognizable WW costume. No pants. No armor.
    She has to show some sort of super power. No depowered WW stories for me. Been thru the mod days, been there done that.
    She has to appear in most of the pages of the book.
    It can't be depressing.
    It can't be too violent. I understand that limits what I buy in the current marketplace where "action" and "violent" are synonymous, but I know what I like.

I know that sounds like a big checklist, but having been a fan of the character since the 60's, I am fine with the occasional tale that resonates with me.

The Superman/WW title works for me 50/50. It has art that I like, is really Diana, and is not always as violent as other titles. The Doomed story line has not worked for me. SO I haven't purchased any of it. Issue 12 is supposed to be romantic. So I will PROBABLY buy it.

For this particular poll, I would have added. "Buy occasional issues."

Your checklist is very similar to my own with the exception that I really liked Hippolyta as the Golden Age Wonder Woman. Artemis and Donna as Wonder Woman didn't really resonate with me but I read through Heinberg's run with Donna as WW because I figured her term would be very temporary.

Mahnke may will have a huge effect on point one of your checklist. In the past when he's drawn Diana, I didn't care for his rendition of her but I did really enjoy his recent work on Green Lantern so I'm hoping his Wonder Woman may have improved since he was on JLA years ago. I know he's drawn Justice League recently, but Diana didn't really appear enough in those issues for me to judge if his rendition of her has really improved or not.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.