Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for Wally West fans...

First I would like to preface this with letting you all know that Wally West is my all time favorite character. In and out of comics so this thread comes from a place of love. I'd like to see what you all think.

So, I think it is fair to assume at this point that Wally will never be the lead Flash again. Due to the success of the Flash show and the fact that Barry is getting a movie in a couple years. I think it is very unlikely that he will ever be the main Flash again or get more than a mini series written by a meh creative team now and again or a cool moment here or there in an event or a Titans book. And that is at best. He will most likely be cannon fodder at some point because to DC he is the redundant Flash.

So, if you agree with this, would it make you happy if Wally got a really good send off instead? For me when some of my favorite characters got sent off in a great way it left me satisfied (even if I missed them). Examples are Jack Knight, Barry Allen in Crisis #8, etc.

So, would you be more content with Wally either getting one last great story and a retirement ala Jack Knight or a memorable death that shows him as the hero he is and is important like Crisis #8. I think I would be happy with one of these. I think one of the reasons some fans reacted so badly to Barry Allens return is the way Wally was treated. First replaced as the main Flash, then erased from history and then HIC.

Opinions?

That's what I've been saying in this forum for the past 3 years. Wally's gimmick in the extended Flashfamily is the same as Nightwing's as long as Barry is the main Flash. You clearly can't commit to it when his fans want to make him a 40 years old family man.

I think he should have been retooled as a 24-25 year old young adult college superhero and had more "fun" adventures compared to Barry. I suppose we can say he suffers from Peter Parker syndrome in that sense.

He is completely pointless at the moment because writers just had to pander to Y generation fans for some reason. Retire the character with his kids so they can shut up forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    That's what I've been saying in this forum for the past 3 years. Wally's gimmick in the extended Flashfamily is the same as Nightwing's as long as Barry is the main Flash. You clearly can't commit to it when his fans want to make him a 40 years old family man.

I think he should have been retooled as a 24-25 year old young adult college superhero and had more "fun" adventures compared to Barry. I suppose we can say he suffers from Peter Parker syndrome in that sense.

He is completely pointless at the moment because writers just had to pander to Y generation fans for some reason. Retire the character with his kids so they can shut up forever.
    Well, I disagree that some fans want him to be a 40 year old family man. He can be in his mid to late 20's with kids...especially because they were aged up. This might seem boring to you but it isn't to me and I assume other fans.

Personally I do not want to read about a younger Wally in college. A BIG part of why people love Wally is his history and character growth. I do not want Wally to be a character like Barry, Bruce or Clark who , IMO, have little character growth or change or any chances taken because they always have to be put back in their toy box basically how they were picked up. I guess thats why I tend to like the 2nd, 3rd tier characters better.

But yeah I say give his story an end like Jack Knight and let people remember him fondly and keep him safe from stories like HIC.

Fantastic Member

He is completely pointless at the moment because writers just had to pander to Y generation fans for some reason.
    The thing is it was DC's desire to justify Heroes in Crisis that forced writers into the current situation.

Once Wally remembered the kids for Flash War and HiC, they had to bring them back. Otherwise he's basically even more Barry 2.0 where the kids are his Nora Allen. And I don't think anyone wanted Wally to be constantly mourning his kids. The kids coming back were apparently never part of the original plan in Rebirth.
    Last edited by Rend20; 10-09-2020 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Well, I disagree that some fans want him to be a 40 year old family man. He can be in his mid to late 20's with kids...especially because they were aged up. This might seem boring to you but it isn't to me and I assume other fans.

Personally I do not want to read about a younger Wally in college. A BIG part of why people love Wally is his history and character growth. I do not want Wally to be a character like Barry, Bruce or Clark who , IMO, have little character growth or change or any chances taken because they always have to be put back in their toy box basically how they were picked up. I guess thats why I tend to like the 2nd, 3rd tier characters better.

But yeah I say give his story an end like Jack Knight and let people remember him fondly and keep him safe from stories like HIC.
    But it’s what it is as long as Barry is in the charge. The eventual outcome of “character growth” makes him pretty much a replica of Barry Allen and we’re seeing the problems in the current comics already. The family is already bloated and nobody wants write about two Barries when they have the real deal.

Let’s face it: we love reading about Wally’s growing pains. If this was a novel, his story would have been long over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    The thing is it was DC's desire to justify Heroes in Crisis that forced writers into the current situation.

Once Wally remembered the kids for Flash War and HiC, they had to bring them back. Otherwise he's basically even more Barry 2.0 where the kids are his Nora Allen. And I don't think anyone wanted Wally to be constantly mourning his kids. The kids coming back were apparently never part of the original plan in Rebirth.
    Yeah, it’s pretty shortsighted. We have now two impulses, two Kid Flashes and two Flashes filling the same gimmicks. The only way to correct the course direction is a- retire the character or b- send the kids to future.

Otherwise I feel like he will just pop up for events to bring in readers and disappear again afterwards.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    First I would like to preface this with letting you all know that Wally West is my all time favorite character. In and out of comics so this thread comes from a place of love. I'd like to see what you all think.

So, I think it is fair to assume at this point that Wally will never be the lead Flash again. Due to the success of the Flash show and the fact that Barry is getting a movie in a couple years. I think it is very unlikely that he will ever be the main Flash again or get more than a mini series written by a meh creative team now and again or a cool moment here or there in an event or a Titans book. And that is at best. He will most likely be cannon fodder at some point because to DC he is the redundant Flash.
    I don't know that is even the case. It may look like that now, but who knows how things may flip flop in the future. I definitely think there is a problem with Flash redundancy, and I believe Wally calling himself the Flash and wearing a costume like or even very similar to Barry's is a bad idea, because we don't need two guys like that, but it's possible to retool Wally West to work in the current landscape of things without stepping on Barry's toes...for creative people who would actually really care to do such a thing.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I guess I could live with a beautiful send-off, but I'd much prefer they do something else with him. There may not be room for both Barry and Wally as equally important Flashes, but that doesn't mean Wally can't have a satisfying niche of his own. Make Keystone feel like a real place again and have him operate there while developing his own rogues, or have him and the kids move to the future where he has to deal with a totally different and technologically advanced society, or make him a multiverse traveller who Earth-hops to protect Earth from cross-dimensional threats. You could even ascend him into a Speed Force god who only shows up during crazy events, or have him lose his powers (either in epic sacrifice or by choice) and let him live the life he deserves while still maintaining his friendships and training his kids (I'm not really a fan of the last one, but it has some potential.)

Plus, as long as he's around, moviemakers have an incentive to retell his story in other media. I was grateful for Young Justice, I'd love to see Wally fit into a Flash movie down the line or a Titans movie, or appear in the TV show or an animated movie.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dick isn't in college anymore and so is Wally. They're mid-twenties to late twenties now and can have young kids. The struggle of a new young dad is different than the older one like Bruce, or even an older new dad like Clark, so there's still a story there.

As for branding, if DC doesn't have a stick up their ass, my preference would be having The Flash: Barry Allen and The Flash: Wally West and with Barry in Central City and Wally in... where was it again? I already asked this but forget... but basically just let the fans pick what they want.

Or if they don't want to have two Flash solo titles, then have Barry headline The Flash and Wally headline Flash Family since he's the one with kids. Make it like Batman and Detective Comics.

They already have a different city, costume, personality, and family setup, so conceptually there's no problem, except whether people want to write and read it.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-09-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Mighty Member

Yeah, it’s pretty shortsighted. We have now two impulses, two Kid Flashes and two Flashes filling the same gimmicks. The only way to correct the course direction is a- retire the character or b- send the kids to future.

Otherwise I feel like he will just pop up for events to bring in readers and disappear again afterwards.
    If this is an excuse you create, then tell that story to Marvel Comics, who own 23 spider man characters, 2 hawkeyes, 2 wolverines, 2 wasps and 2 Novas. They don't seem have problem with multiple characters owning the titles.
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 10-09-2020 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    If this is an excuse you create, then tell that story to Marvel Comics, who own 23 spider man characters, 2 hawkeyes, 2 wolverines, 2 wasps and 2 Novas. They don't seem have problem with multiple characters owning the titles.
    That’s not what I’m saying though. Marvel heroes have distinct personalities and can stand on their own while Flashes are interchangable personality wise.

I wish the best for the character but I’m also aware that company’s clearly struggling with him. Hopefully Metal changes it.
    Last edited by Waterfall; 10-09-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I personally would be quite happy to have Wally simply be a supporting character for the time being and be a background player.

Let him make the decision after all the Rebirth nuttiness, to be semi-retired living with Linda and raising (and training) the kids.
    Sure, he will still throw the suit on when required, but I think the next step in his character growth is LET him be a mentor to the next generation.
    He's one of the few who has been in the hero game since he was a kid. He took the mantle from his mentor - something nobody has done permanently.
    He has been in & out of the Speed Force like no other (except maybe Max). He has relationships with everyone from JLA heavyweights and ex and current Rogues.
    I think it's an avenue worth travelling down.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

They can have their cake and eat it too, I believe 2 flash titles can work. Hell they could just call Wally's book Flashpoint or Speed-Force.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    They can have their cake and eat it too, I believe 2 flash titles can work. Hell they could just call Wally's book Flashpoint or Speed-Force.
    Considering how many Batman and Superman Family related titles there are/have been over the years, the viability of two Flash books shouldn’t really be a question. And actually from the mid nineties till about 2002, there were two Flash Family books, as Impulse had his own title which lasted nearly a hundred issues.

That’s a long winded way of my saying I agree w. the quoted post. A Wally West solo title should at least be given a chance.

Incredible Member

I agree with the idea of giving Wally & his family their own book having adventures together

Back in the JLI era Wally was part of JL: Europe in France, why not have him move back there with family in tow, that way he can have his own adventures (maybe working with a new JL:E or the Global Guardians) but can still zip over to the USA whenever he needs to i.e. crossover events

BANNED

Yeah, Wally is a really popular character so he may be able to hold down another Flash title. That said, I don't think he should be considered The Flash. He ought to find his own niche in the current DC landscape instead of being "The Flash that isn't the main one." That's just redundant and would probably be a hindrance for him. I know that when comics fans get stuck in their ways they often REALLY get suck in their ways, but a good writer can tell good stories with the character without him using that moniker. The main concern would be, well, getting a good writer for the character. I'm of the mind that good stories are in really short supply at DC Comics lately, from what I've seen.