Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

https://www.gamesradar.com/mark-bagl...artist-change/

Gleason's most recent instagram post also indicated hes only doing interiors up to #52.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    https://www.gamesradar.com/mark-bagl...artist-change/

Gleason's most recent instagram post also indicated hes only doing interiors up to #52.
    UGH!! Can he stay on the book for more than three issues at a time?! Jesus...

Apperently a newsletter just announced Bagley will be doing the interiors of #53, with Gleason only doing #50-#52, but covers for all of Last Remains, so guess its gonna continue to not stay consistent. I wonder why that is? Just because it's too much of a work load?
    double shipping comics with no breaks is already insane, and this book has bonus issues and oversized ones, it's already bad for spencer because he works at a steady but not crazy pace (so he is definitely writing the stories out of order and while his scripts are always good, more time could make them better, plus its not letting him write other books) but it's extra rough on the artists and editors, especially when artists like bagley and ramos and ottley are fast, and we get a messier run as a consequence

this book should've been 18 issues a year like immortal hulk and avengers, tactically called in additional artists for issues/scenes they way hulk does, had a tighter plot structure, stuck to two main artists from the pool of ottley/ramos/bagley/gleason, and not been structured around building up to 850 or even 900 if that's the plan

but while these things would've made the book better, it would've made marvel less money, so here we are
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    double shipping comics with no breaks is already insane, and this book has bonus issues and oversized ones, it's already bad for spencer because he works at a steady but not crazy pace (so he is definitely writing the stories out of order and while his scripts are always good, more time could make them better, plus its not letting him write other books) but it's extra rough on the artists and editors, especially when artists like bagley and ramos and ottley are fast, and we get a messier run as a consequence

this book should've been 18 issues a year like immortal hulk and avengers, tactically called in additional artists for issues/scenes they way hulk does, had a tighter plot structure, stuck to two main artists from the pool of ottley/ramos/bagley/gleason, and not been structured around building up to 850 or even 900 if that's the plan

but while these things would've made the book better, it would've made marvel less money, so here we are
    Yeah, unfortunately while those may be good solutions, it's never going to happen. Marvel has either double or triple shipped ASM for over ten years now, and it's consistently been on the Top 10 selling comics each month. That's no easy feat, and certainly Marvel wouldn't reduce their output of the title to 18 issues from 24 (or, in some cases, 30 like this year!). The schedule they have is insane, and despite the money it makes it has to take a toll on the creative side. I really, truly hope Marvel realize their error in judgment here are restore this book back to a good, healthy place creatively.
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 10-09-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Ottley deserved better than the issues he was given. The stories he was on certainly didn’t play to his strengths, unfortunately.

I’d like to see him on a Guardians book.

I just have a harder time enjoying single stories when they change the artist midway through or the inking starts to get really sloppy by the end because they do multiple inkers to get it out on time, especially ones that are trying to be important like Last Remains is. Of course there's times in stories where an artistic changeup can work thematically for an issue or a segment but that isn't really the case much for this book. ASM#850 was fine cause it was a big oversized anniversary book, so I get it there. That's one thing we were able to get with Ryan Ottley on here is he did a handful of complete stories and those are some of my favorites, I just like some consistency. I'm good with changing up the artists every arc to maintain the schedule but if it's not able to be sustained even for an arc then what's the point?

I've gotta commend DC for sitting on projects for until their near complete or complete and ready to be released so they're consistent looking like big books like Three Jokers and Batman/Catwoman. Of course those aren't the main flagship title, though.

Like Snoop Dogg said, Immortal Hulk does the scheduling and artistic juggling right.
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 10-09-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I agree with Immortal Hulk.

I remember when this run initially started it was just going to be Ottley and Ramos juggling everything between themselves (with potential guest artists here and there) - there’s not even a “main artist” on the run now.

Marvel need to learn that a consistent team is healthier. See Cates/Stegman, Ewing/Bennett. It really cements the run as a “run” instead of a series of guest star artists.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    I agree with Immortal Hulk.

I remember when this run initially started it was just going to be Ottley and Ramos juggling everything between themselves (with potential guest artists here and there) - there’s not even a “main artist” on the run now.

Marvel need to learn that a consistent team is healthier. See Cates/Stegman, Ewing/Bennett. It really cements the run as a “run” instead of a series of guest star artists.
    Truth right here. And this is coming from someone who is a fan of this run. The last major run we had on this title with a strong writer and a strong artist was JMS and JRJR. That was a little over ten years ago, right before this title went crazy with shipping. Hopefully, the Marvel marketing machine chills out and the editors as well realize that this cannot continue with this book. It's their flagship book, for crying out loud.

Though with Cates/Stegman, Stegman hasn't consistently drawn the regular Venom series since like issue #10 (and a double page in #25)

since Bagley is doing issue 53 I dont mind. Id be cool with 2 artsist being Gleason and Bagley going forward. 2 artists should be perfect for a book that ships twice a month. I think Bagley was on art in the 90s when the book shipped twice a month so he is pretty fast or just put in more of gis time in it back then. Now the LR extension and one offa may reqire more artists

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    since Bagley is doing issue 53 I dont mind. Id be cool with 2 artsist being Gleason and Bagley going forward. 2 artists should be perfect for a book that ships twice a month. I think Bagley was on art in the 90s when the book shipped twice a month so he is pretty fast or just put in more of gis time in it back then. Now the LR extension and one offa may reqire more artists
    The .LR issues are scheduled to have Federico Vicentini draw them. He drew the Sins of Norman Osborn one-shot.

Apperently a newsletter just announced Bagley will be doing the interiors of #53, with Gleason only doing #50-#52, but covers for all of Last Remains, so guess its gonna continue to not stay consistent. I wonder why that is? Just because it's too much of a work load?
    Gleason can’t keep up with the doubleshipping, it was a big problem over on Superman during Rebirth too. Don’t expect to get many issues from Gleason, he’s way too slow these days. It’s a shame because I’m a huge fan of his work.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Ottley deserved better than the issues he was given. The stories he was on certainly didn’t play to his strengths, unfortunately.

I’d like to see him on a Guardians book.
    Unlikely. Based on his tweet about doing pre-production designs, I think he's doing something that doesn't currently have a book.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Gleason can’t keep up with the doubleshipping, it was a big problem over on Superman during Rebirth too. Don’t expect to get many issues from Gleason, he’s way too slow these days. It’s a shame because I’m a huge fan of his work.
    That's a bummer. But how was he able to turn out so many issues of Batman and Robin then?

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Ironically, "lighthearted" also came with an overuse of blood and gorn.

I'm honestly not going to miss him.
    Pretty much what you'd expect from the Invincible guy.

Fantastic Member

I wonder if Kev Walker will come back for anymore issues. Was fun to see him during the Syndicate arc.