Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Default Top 20 Batman characters

20.Barbra Gordon Aka Batgirl: Sexy and Cute Batpartner and I for once understand completely why Bruce Timm like to pair her with Batman. Speaking of which Barbra Gordon is also a character who I prefer in the animated series continuety having a better reason then her comic book counterpart to dress up like Batman and I like how much of a heroe she is even without the costume in Batman: SubZero.

19.Arnold Wesker the Ventrilauqist: Honestly for me he does the two people in one body thing allot better then Two-Face since his better side is not really that much of a detrement to his villain side. I also like how it is ambigious whatever or not Arnold Wesker is simply mental or if the Dummy is truely cursed, aside from the accastional vampire that is how I prefer my Batman ghost stories.

18. Garfield Lynn aka Fire Fly: Insane arsonist with a god damn good awesome looking costume for a Batman villain and with Knight Fall he got pretty damn tragic backstory to bout.

17. Victor Zsasz: Very impressive foe giving that he has no super powers of even super gimmicks. No wonderfull toys for this guy just two knives and his wits. I also like how much like the Joker he is an insane man with a super bleak view of the world but actually has an origin that is definitive.

16. Ra's Al Ghoul: One Batmans few superpowered villains(although only temporarly) and one who has existed long before the titluar hero. Also brings the Bat out of not just Gotham but America as well, giving us some nice variety in enviroment in Batman stories.

15. the Mad Monk: Always thought that vampires were appropriate antagonists for a man who dresses like a creature of the night and I love how despite being a vampire the Monk still comes with his own costume and secret identity.

14. Yuko Yagi: Honestly of all the love interests that Bruce Wayne has had that are did not never became a any short of masked vigilanti or at least not volunteraly(long story short) I like Yuko Yagi the best. Yes, I take her over Silver Saint Cloud, Rachel Dawes, Vicky Vale(and yes I know about the plot point of her becoming Lady Arkham and no I did not care for it) and especially Chase Meridian. Speaking of Chase Yuko Yagi actually has a much better reason for being so fascinated with Batman. Her telling Bruce Wayne how Batman ones saved her and her parents in a dark alley and Bruce Wayne in return calling back to how he and his parents were in a similar situation but there was no Batman to save his parents is the best call back to that moment in Batmans history and it did it with out adding some backstory of how Thomas Wayne told Bruce Wayne not to listen to Rock and Role or how the last thing Bruce Wayne did before doing to the film was fighting with his parents. Just a potential love interest of Bruce Wayne talking about their childhood experiences with the underworld. Also that two panel spread were she kisses him: Best kiss in Batman history.

13. Andrea Beamont aka the Phantasm: And here we go again with an Anti-Batman off short having a habit of talking to her death parents and taking revenge on the underworld of Gotham(although in a more personal manner). Admittedly I have not cared much for this character since her first appearence in the 1993 animated film Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, but she made one hell of an impression in that movie and I like her far more then any of the Reapers that clearly inspirated her and won't be one this list.

12. Owlman: Another Anti-Batman. Rich, Orphanned, invents high teach to fight Batman, has underlings working for him and unlike the those Wrath villains he is fittingly represented by the real life bats nr.1 predator. I also like the plot point of him finding out Batmans real identity and thinking the two were related.

11. Mr. Freeze: Much like Catwoman this is a case of the animated series creating more appreciation for a character then the books ever could besides the animated series version has pretty much become the stable in the comic books as well, although I don't dislike the pre animated series Freeze villain either but he would not be as high on this list.

10. Tim Drake aka the 3rd Robin: the only Robin who was alloweed to have a family or half one at least he will always remain one of my favorite Robins. I mean is anybody gonna argue that the bearleged no pants Robins looked better at least?

9.Kirk Longstrom aka Man-Bat: Pretty much the biggest thing in Batman that is inspirated by Marvel. What can I say I really like Man-Bat. He is actually more realistic then his Marvel counterpart the Lizard having no superstrenght to come with his mutation but obvious inhansments none the less such as super hearing and flight ability and I do indeed like all versions. Hero, Anti-hero, the animal brained Man-Bat from the animated series(which gave us some of the best animation of that entire show btw), does not matter I will always appreciate Man-Bat.

8. Selina Kyle aka Catwoman: Admittedly this is more of a dedication to the animated series version of the character. Being an animal freind myself I really liked how in the episode Cat and the Claw she was trying to preserve the enviroment of big cats who are actually in danger of instinction in real life. However I certainly have an appreciation for the comic book Catwoman as her and Bruce Waynes relationship was probably the second best part of the Hush storyline(my favorite part being the twist for Hushes actuall motivation for his revenge).

7. Dick Grayson aka Robin: First Robin and a great Superheroe team leader. To qoute Stan Lee ''Nuff, said''.

6.Tenji Tomioka: Best on-shot villain in Batmans history this guy actually provides some really good commentary on fanboism as well as providing a great Batman story that reminds you of what it is like being a kid and loving superheroes as well as their rouges gallery and being able to imagen yourself like one off them when you are older.

5. Killer Croc: Sympathetic jet monstrous villain, I will say however I am not a fan of it when they turn this guy into a giant Crocodile man with a snoot and tail. Say what you will about The Suicide Squad film but I for one am thankfull that they used his classic design in that film and did not monster him up the way they did White Shark in the later film.

4. the Scarecrow: The Perfect Anti-Batman. Batman uses fear tactics to strike fear into the hearts of criminals the Scarecrow uses fear tactics to strike fear into the hearts of civilians. Hell, one of the few things I like about the Dark Knight Strikes again is Frank Miller using that similarity between the two and having Batman actually use Dr. Cranes fear toxin one the criminals in order to scare them.

Also I have heard some people who are big Dare Devil fans claim that Mr. Fear used fear toxin before the Scarecrow did given that I don't remember the Scarecrow using any toxin in his earlier appearences I could believe that, if so then I will tip my hat of to Marvel and it won't be the first time on this list.

3. Jim Gordon: Not all heroes were capes not even in comic books and Jim Gordon surely delivers on that. Not only does he has to be a regular police officer in a town with supervillains that far out mach regular criminals but he also has to struggle with a pyschopath son, crippled daughter that he might have known or not known was a superheroe vigilanti all the time(depending on different versions mind you I am counting stuff from the animated series on this list as well). While also being a victim of physical abuse as a child and having to save his relationship with his wife do to his adultery.

Yeah, I really like the character of Jim Gordon he is a flawed person in a city corrupted beyond redemtion still always trying hold on to some samblence of normal life despite everything he has gone through.

2.Bruce Wayne aka Batman: From a pulp hero with a gun to a dark hero who almost had a AI take over the world Batman has always remained interesting in how he walks he fine line between somebody who does his best to bring in criminals by the book and turning into a villain trying right the wrongs of the world(although not contining the Dark Knight Strikes again and Batman v Superman). Also this might be somewhat controverial but I actually quite like what Neil Adams did with him in his Batman Odyssey. I mean filling your costume with fake blood along with the bullet proof padding and having a forcefield over mouth era. Seems like something a person who regularly fights criminals with guns without using them himself would do. Especially that fake blood part, since let be honest his gray and blue costume is not really scary but if regular people thought that he was immortal and could not be killed no matter how often you shoot him now that is terrifying.

1.Joker: One of the best villains in comic books. All about choas death and being completely unpredictable. Can be both menacing and funny what is not to like about this guy? Which one of the Jokers since they are now revealed to have been 3? All of them!
    Last edited by Obeythemoderators; 01-31-2022 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Made some typos.

Incredible Member

Super interesting list! Really like that you had some unique ones in there.

1/2: Bruce and Dick. Grayson does not work without Bruce and The Batman is one of our most iconic characters. But for some reason, a well written Grayson just resonates with me more.

3: Joker. The GOAT comic villain.

4: Catwoman

5: Alfred: The best support system in comics. Honestly do not think DC has done a good enough job exploring the negative impact of his loss.

6: Commisioner Gordan: Took this spot in Year One.

7: Damien Wayne: My favorite kid in the actual Robin role.

8: Two Face: I think Two Face is super underrated in comics and his downfall is one of my favorite and tragic comic origins.

9: Hugo Strange: Can`t put my finger on it, but I love this character.

10/11: Barbara Gordon and Cassandra Cain

12: Ridler

13: Ras Al Ghul

14:Harvey Bullock

15: Scarecrow

16: Bane- I really only love the Simone and Knightfall take on the character.

17:Silver St Cloud

18: Penguin

19: Mr. Freeze

20: Kate Kane

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Super interesting list! Really like that you had some unique ones in there.

1/2: Bruce and Dick. Grayson does not work without Bruce and The Batman is one of our most iconic characters. But for some reason, a well written Grayson just resonates with me more.

3: Joker. The GOAT comic villain.

4: Catwoman

5: Alfred: The best support system in comics. Honestly do not think DC has done a good enough job exploring the negative impact of his loss.

6: Commisioner Gordan: Took this spot in Year One.

7: Damien Wayne: My favorite kid in the actual Robin role.

8: Two Face: I think Two Face is super underrated in comics and his downfall is one of my favorite and tragic comic origins.

9: Hugo Strange: Can`t put my finger on it, but I love this character.

10/11: Barbara Gordon and Cassandra Cain

12: Ridler

13: Ras Al Ghul

14:Harvey Bullock

15: Scarecrow

16: Bane- I really only love the Simone and Knightfall take on the character.

17:Silver St Cloud

18: Penguin

19: Mr. Freeze

20: Kate Kane
    So, how do you feel about Kevin Smith seemingly killing Silver Saint Cloud off?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    To be honest I completely ignore that entire story. Silver is probably the only civilian love interest I have ever cared about for Batman. Really want more of her and Hugo Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    To be honest I completely ignore that entire story. Silver is probably the only civilian love interest I have ever cared about for Batman. Really want more of her and Hugo Strange.
    Did not know they used Dr. Strange sparingly. He ahs always seemed like on of Batmans top villains to me.

Bruce Wayne/Batman
    Alfred Pennyworth
    Jim Gordon
    Selina Kyle/Catwoman
    Harley Quinn
    Barbara Gordon/Batgirl
    Two Face
    Riddler
    Jason Todd/Red Hood
    Penguin
    Mr. Freeze
    Tim Drake/Robin
    Poison Ivy
    Barbara Gordon when she's not Batgirl
    Joker
    Lucious Fox
    Arnold Wesker/The Ventriloquist
    Killer Croc
    Clayface
    Bane

That's more or less in order I think. Top best bottom least favorite order.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Some people say that Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Dark Strikes Again are the worst Batman comics of all time. I'd argue Kevin Smith's Widening Gyre and Cacophany are worse.

Fortunately it's easy to discard these stories as out of continuity.

If you want a much better Batman/St. Cloud story, read Batman Dark Detective. It's the last thing Marshall Rogers ever drew and some of his best work.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

1-2. Bruce and Dick share the top two spots and alternate back and forth. Dick is more consistently likeable across multiple versions, whereas there are plenty of versions of Bruce I intensely dislike. But plenty others in classic comics and other media I love, and he's the bigger icon for which this all revolves around, so I think it cancels out the positive/negatives and they blend together as a favorite.

3. The Joker- overrated to hell and back, especially in recent years, but he still is DC's best villain. Not to the degree that justifies the fan/creator wankery and neglect of a lot of other villains, but his iconic status didn't spring from nowhere.

4. Barbara
    5. Gordon
    6. Catwoman
    7. Alfred
    8. Two-Face
    9. Poison Ivy
    10. Mr. Freeze
    11. Bullock
    12. Montoya
    13. Scarecrow
    14. Riddler
    15. Penguin
    16. Mad Hatter (especially the BTAS version)
    17. Andrea Beaumont
    18. Huntress (Bertinelli)
    19. Batwoman (Kate)

20. Harley. If we were just talking her BTAS incarnation and a select few others (Robbie, Harleen) she'd be in the top 10 or even 5. But her being spammed everywhere had DC forgetting the "too much of a good thing" rule. Still, she's the best DC character to come out of the 90s.

Incredible Member

1. Bruce
    2. Dick Grayson
    3. Joker
    4. Jason Todd
    5. Damian Wayne
    6. Barbra Gordon
    7. Catwoman
    8. Two face
    9. Poison Ivy
    10. Riddler
    11. Scarecrow
    12. Gordon
    13. Freeze
    14. Ras Al Ghul
    15. Alfred
    16. Talia
    17. Penguin
    18. Harley
    19. Bane
    20. Not exactly one character, but the court of owls

1, Dick Grayson
    2, Damian Wayne
    3, Bane
    4, Bruce Wayne
    5, batwing [David Zavimbe]
    6, Ra's
    7, Jim Gordon
    8, Barbara Gordon
    9, Poison ivy
    10, Huntress
    11, bat mite/Pyg
    12, Harley Quinn and Joker are tied for me
    13, Lucius Fox
    14, Freeze
    15, Steph brown
    16, Jason Todd
    17 Kate Kane
    19 Selina Kyle
    20 Riddler
    Last edited by Fergus; 03-04-2022 at 02:17 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

1. Dick
    2. Bruce
    3. Selina
    4. Jason
    5. Alfred
    6. Damian
    7. Tim
    8. Steph
    9. Cass
    10. Babs
    11. Jim
    12. Maps
    After that the ranking goes up and down depending on my interest at the time
    - Duke
    - Kate
    - Kathy
    - Helena
    - Ra's
    - Harley
    - Ivy
    - Oswald
    - Nygma
    - Two-Face
    - Bane
    - Crane
    - Karlo
    - Lucius
    - Terry

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

1. Bruce
    2. Dick
    3. Joker
    4. Alfred
    5. Barbara
    6. Tim
    7. Selina
    8. Two-Face
    9. Penguin
    10. Jim Gordon
    11. Huntress
    12. Riddler
    13. Stephanie
    14. Cassandra
    15. Scarecrow
    16. Bane
    17. Ra’s
    18. Poison Ivy
    19. Bullock
    20. Jason

Astonishing Member

1. Bruce Wayne/Batman
    2. Joker
    3. Jim Gordon
    4. Alfred Pennyworth
    5. Dick Grayson/Robin/Nightwing
    6. Selina Kyle/Batwoman
    7. Barbara Gordon/Batgirl/Oracle
    8. Harvey Dent/Two Face
    9. Oswald Cobblepot/Penguin
    10. Edward Nashton/Riddler
    11. Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow
    12. Ra's al Ghul
    13. Pamela Isley/Poison Ivy
    14. Bane
    15. Tim Drake/Robin
    16. Damian Wayne/Robin
    17. Talia al Ghul
    18. Kate Kane/Batwoman
    19. Harvey Bullock
    20. Renee Montoya

I think this covers the major characters, including allies and iconic villains, known to most people and I still don't think it's anything close to a comprehensive list.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    1. Dick
    2. Bruce
    3. Selina
    4. Jason
    5. Alfred
    6. Damian
    7. Tim
    8. Steph
    9. Cass
    10. Babs
    11. Jim
    12. Maps
    After that the ranking goes up and down depending on my interest at the time
    - Duke
    - Kate
    - Kathy
    - Helena
    - Ra's
    - Harley
    - Ivy
    - Oswald
    - Nygma
    - Two-Face
    - Bane
    - Crane
    - Karlo
    - Lucius
    - Terry
    Maps? Who is maps?

Maps? Who is maps?
    The newest addition to the Robin Roster. She debuted in Gotham Academy then moved on to Batman Black and White. Currently featured in Tec [She's has a multi part back up story in the book]