Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Everyone and their aunt picking up Thor's hammer

One of the uniqe things about Thor is his hammer and how no one but him could wield it. Then Walt Simonson who had a very memorable Thor run came and made his new character Beta Ray Bill, a mixture of a horse and the Alien creature worthy. Since then Jane Foster, Captain America most notably in the MCU (yeah I know he briefly picked it up before during the Tom DeFalco era but that was a very brief one time thing in Thor's own mag) and the list just keeps getting bigger. Am I the only Thor fan that just gets sick of it?

Nope, it cheapens Thor. But the current Marvel writers love it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Nope, it cheapens Thor. But the current Marvel writers love it.
    It's just pathetic, second perhaps only to killing a character that's the second most used gimmick to attract attention.

Astonishing Member

It's ultimately to that even the common man is worthy of greatness...

...which is why Tony will never be counted as worthy.

Astonishing Member

I think it depends on the Character and Context.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    I think it depends on the Character and Context.
    It really does, but yes, it is overdone.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    It really does, but yes, it is overdone.
    Of the entire lot the only one I dont mind is Jane Foster just because of the circumstances and being an original character, one of the very first of the series and a romantic interest. I didnt like Aaron implying she could wield the hammer better than Thor though. Sad that something so essential to the characters identity is getting cheapened and distributed to so many other characters.

Extraordinary Member

It's become really cheap, especially in the comics. The movies have been relatively restrained with it so far, but it's one thing to have MCU Cap pick it up in his last movie to pay off something they teased in a previous film, and it's quite another thing to have Evil HYDRA Cap pick it up as a big shock twist in yet another pointless crossover event.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    It's become really cheap, especially in the comics. The movies have been relatively restrained with it so far, but it's one thing to have MCU Cap pick it up in his last movie to pay off something they teased in a previous film, and it's quite another thing to have Evil HYDRA Cap pick it up as a big shock twist in yet another pointless crossover event.
    The problem I have with Cap is that a character at the same level of Thor in popularity sort of starts to wreck the original when Thor's main weapon is wielded easily without practice or any years of training or preparation. They could have let Cap struggle a bit lift it and give it out to Thor and that would have been enough or at the most have one good shot at Thanos with it and that's it, but no, they had to have Cap invoking thunder with the hammer and fighting with it as good as Thor. That was just too much! And now there are even statues of Cap wielding the hammer. As a Thor fan I felt cheated and violated by those stinking Russos. ;p I still loved the movie, but it would have been better if they had limited the Thor rape.

Astonishing Member

Wait a second!

Aunt May would be a great wielder of Mjolnir!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'm not a fan of all of the Thors, but I also realize that someone other than Odinson has to be able to lift it at some point. Otherwise,"worthiness" becomes little more than exclusionary privilege. Odin's spell was never meant to be that narrowly defined.

But yes, I do shake my head when I think of everyone who has lifted Mjolnir, especially in more recent years. Isn't Magneto, Red Hulk, Doom and Conan also on that list? Or maybe those were What Ifs?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm not a fan of all of the Thors, but I also realize that someone other than Odinson has to be able to lift it at some point. Otherwise,"worthiness" becomes little more than exclusionary privilege. Odin's spell was never meant to be that narrowly defined.

But yes, I do shake my head when I think of everyone who has lifted Mjolnir, especially in more recent years. Isn't Magneto, Red Hulk, Doom and Conan also on that list? Or maybe those were What Ifs?
    The "Whosever be worthy" was used figuratively because it really was meant for Thor in disguise, it is Thor's hammer after all and when he finds it Don Blake doesn't knows yet he is Thor. In the movie they just copy the wording even though there is no Blake and it does sounds more mystical that way but for decades in the comics like in the myth no one but the real Thor could lift it as it should be and as the correct myth and enchantment; only Thor lifting the hammer, once everyone is lifting it, it kinds of ruins it.

To me Walt Simonson did great things on his Thor run but Beta Ray Bill wasn't one of them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Wait a second!

Aunt May would be a great wielder of Mjolnir!
    The way it is going we may see Aunt May and Aunt Petunia wielding it next.

There is even an article.

https://www.ranker.com/list/who-has-...onathan-kantor

27 people have wielded the hammer. Although there was also the Thor corp comic during Secret Wars (?) that had a few more.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Or maybe in an upcoming crossover event every human (and aninal!?) will have got their own hammer and can turn into an Asgardian.