Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #26 preview/spoiler discussion

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Man, Ivan Reis' action is so dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Man, Ivan Reis' action is so dynamic.
    I seriously think this is his best work since Green Lantern.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Absolutely. I wonder where Reis is heading to next

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I've always loved Ivan Reis' art and especially on Superman. I hope he isn't a stranger to the books once Bendis exits.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

He was pretty amazing on Aquaman.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He was pretty amazing on Aquaman.
    Hell yeah, his AQUAMAN stuff is the best of the best of the best. Damn fine comics.

I liked it. Nothing really happens to advance the main plot, but it's got good character moments. The ending doesn't match the beginning, at all, so that was weird for me. I've liked a good deal of what Bendis has done, I just wish it were going somewhere. With him leaving so soon, it makes me wonder why we bothered to reveal the secret.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Ok so I loved this issue. It doesn’t really move the main plot forward but there’s a bunch of fun character beats. Lois and Clark’s talk with one another was great, I really like how Bendis writes the two of them. Clark and Jimmy were really funny together, the secret identity joke got a laugh out of me. And I loved the detail about Clark using his heat vision to keep Jimmy warm. But the real standout was Lombard lmao. I loved how he was dumbfounded by Clark calling him a friend, and Lombard calling out everyone for making fun of him after Steve kept finding Clark’s thrown away ties in closets when he had to change into his costume. I also love the PZ projector-shield idea, it’s part of something Bendis has been doing his whole run that few people do: making Superman proactive, making him prepare for threats instead of just going “ah gee I’m sure nothing bad will happen”. Also we finally got Reis doing a classic shirt rip shot and it was beautiful! Great issue. I hope Bendis can end his run on a strong note because so far this has been my favorite arc. I’m almost sad to see him go, I’d love to see him explore this status quo more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    I liked it. Nothing really happens to advance the main plot, but it's got good character moments. The ending doesn't match the beginning, at all, so that was weird for me. I've liked a good deal of what Bendis has done, I just wish it were going somewhere. With him leaving so soon, it makes me wonder why we bothered to reveal the secret.
    It was for 5G. What happens with the ID now that 5G isn’t happening anymore is up to whoever replaces Bendis I guess.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

It was for 5G. What happens with the ID now that 5G isn’t happening anymore is up to whoever replaces Bendis I guess.
    When was that confirmed to be done for 5G?

Ok so I loved this issue. It doesn’t really move the main plot forward but there’s a bunch of fun character beats. Lois and Clark’s talk with one another was great, I really like how Bendis writes the two of them. Clark and Jimmy were really funny together, the secret identity joke got a laugh out of me. And I loved the detail about Clark using his heat vision to keep Jimmy warm. But the real standout was Lombard lmao. I loved how he was dumbfounded by Clark calling him a friend, and Lombard calling out everyone for making fun of him after Steve kept finding Clark’s thrown away ties in closets when he had to change into his costume. I also love the PZ projector-shield idea, it’s part of something Bendis has been doing his whole run that few people do: making Superman proactive, making him prepare for threats instead of just going “ah gee I’m sure nothing bad will happen”. Also we finally got Reis doing a classic shirt rip shot and it was beautiful! Great issue. I hope Bendis can end his run on a strong note because so far this has been my favorite arc. I’m almost sad to see him go, I’d love to see him explore this status quo more.
    Same, all-around. If the characters are good and fleshed out, I almost don't need a plot, lol. This was an awesome issue.

And I think Superman being proactive is something that's always been in my headcanon for Superman, but rarely done. THAT kind of Superman is one they need to be making movies about.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I don't think the ID reveal had anything to do with 5G. Bendis said in one or two interviews that it was not the way he intended to resolve a lot of the issues he set up and was more a last minute change. Setting Jon up with the Legion and 5G stuff all was planned well before that apparently.

My guess is the ID removal was a "Bendis original", then. If it really was last minute, probably something he pitched specifically, due to his dislike of the secret ID concept. And even if it wasn't planned to happen then, I could easily see it as something he would have done eventually anyway based on those grounds. As for why he revealed it when it turns out he wasn't going to be on the books a heck of a lot longer, it seems more than likely that he he wasn't intended to leave this soon. His run ending soon I believe is a direct result of Didio's firing along with the implosion that followed.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Thought I read a Bleeding Cool article about how the identity reveal was part of the process of setting up 5G. Can’t find it now though. Maybe it wasn’t, maybe it was just Bendis wanting to go that way. But an outed Superman seems to tie into what they were allegedly planning with Superman leading the Authority and what not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    My guess is the ID removal was a "Bendis original", then. If it really was last minute, probably something he pitched specifically, due to his dislike of the secret ID concept. And even if it wasn't planned to happen then, I could easily see it as something he would have done eventually anyway based on those grounds. As for why he revealed it when it turns out he wasn't going to be on the books a heck of a lot longer, it seems more than likely that he he wasn't intended to leave this soon. His run ending soon I believe is a direct result of Didio's firing along with the implosion that followed.
    There was stuff in his run that was a result of Didio’s edicts. He wanted Jon aged up and put with the Legion, he wanted Bendis to tackle DC’s spy/terrorist organizations, etc. It’s just a lot of that stuff may not end up going anywhere now. As for his run getting cut short, apparently it’s the opposite, he’s been on the books longer than he initially planned. That’s per his last interview with Off-Panel iirc. He’ll have 56 combined issues of Superman when all is said and done, so not a bad run in this day and age. Be interesting to see what he’s offered afterwards though, especially given DC will no longer be offering superstar contracts according to rumors. But I can see him getting Justice League since there’s no one else other than maybe Tom Taylor who I think would be an obvious choice to take over.

Incredible Member

Thought I read a Bleeding Cool article about how the identity reveal was part of the process of setting up 5G. Can’t find it now though. Maybe it wasn’t, maybe it was just Bendis wanting to go that way. But an outed Superman seems to tie into what they were allegedly planning with Superman leading the Authority and what not.

There was stuff in his run that was a result of Didio’s edicts. He wanted Jon aged up and put with the Legion, he wanted Bendis to tackle DC’s spy/terrorist organizations, etc. It’s just a lot of that stuff may not end up going anywhere now. As for his run getting cut short, apparently it’s the opposite, he’s been on the books longer than he initially planned. That’s per his last interview with Off-Panel iirc. He’ll have 56 combined issues of Superman when all is said and done, so not a bad run in this day and age. Be interesting to see what he’s offered afterwards though, especially given DC will no longer be offering superstar contracts according to rumors. But I can see him getting Justice League since there’s no one else other than maybe Tom Taylor who I think would be an obvious choice to take over.
    Bollocks, in July he was talking about how he would be on Superman for sooooo long. Two months later he announced he's off.