Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any fans of Bendis Run?

I've been waiting for the Bendis run to end as I only collect trades. Not interested in floppies.

I have nearly unbroken runs from Flashpoint to new52 to rebirth and even have one Bendis trades, The Man of Steel.

Any fans of Bendis? I realize there are a lot of detractors on the Cbr forum.

Me. What do you want to know?

Superman has been solid even through the “low” period of Rogal Zaar thanks to Reis on art duties. He makes everything gorgeous to look at. The second half of Superman has been better than the first half imo, mostly focused on Superman building up the United Planets and bonding with Jon.

Action was the opposite. Really good in the first half with great art. Now I enjoy the plot but the art is godawful. Romita Jr. is just plain terrible these days, no clue what anyone sees in him. I still really like the Invisible Mafia and Red Cloud and hope they stick around. Also I’m enjoying the Superfamily teaming up and just wrecking everyone, it’s the most connected the Superfamily has felt since, damn, H’el maybe?

Good comparison I’d say is Busiek Superman, Bendis Superman feels very much in the same mold, if you liked his mini prologue then yeah absolutely check out the main runs.

I trade wait mosty also, so for what I've read, haven't really liked some of the plot developments but overall I think Bendis has a pretty good voice for Clark, way better than I ever expected.

BANNED

To be fair, Bendis' Superman is spot on. He really has the voice of Superman and Clark, but the problem with him is his story. He is like Kurt Busiek in a sense. Both of them understand Superman, but can't make a story worthy of Superman.

Astonishing Member

Me. I enjoyed his take on Superman/AC and Legion. He has his moments where I don't like something but over all, I was satisfied. Romita's art at the end of AC is a travesty of epic proportions. I was looking forward to it when he announced but my goodness that art is HORRIBLE!!!!!
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 11-07-2020 at 02:31 AM.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

I like it. Post-Truth I like it a lot.

Its not perfect certainly. But Superman's voice is spot on, the plot has substance and the art is great. There are some duds, Action comics started great but the leviathan and Year of the villain tie ins are a bit boring and if you are not a fan of JRJR, the House of Kent arc will lose value. Plus the first arc of Superman drags a lot.

But its still one of the best Superman runs of the decade and worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Me. What do you want to know?

Superman has been solid even through the “low” period of Rogal Zaar thanks to Reis on art duties. He makes everything gorgeous to look at. The second half of Superman has been better than the first half imo, mostly focused on Superman building up the United Planets and bonding with Jon.

Action was the opposite. Really good in the first half with great art. Now I enjoy the plot but the art is godawful. Romita Jr. is just plain terrible these days, no clue what anyone sees in him. I still really like the Invisible Mafia and Red Cloud and hope they stick around. Also I’m enjoying the Superfamily teaming up and just wrecking everyone, it’s the most connected the Superfamily has felt since, damn, H’el maybe?

Good comparison I’d say is Busiek Superman, Bendis Superman feels very much in the same mold, if you liked his mini prologue then yeah absolutely check out the main runs.
    Thanks Vordan. I wouldn't say I was asking for anything specific, and since I largely disagree with the negative and vocal cbr community on a lot of things I knew I was probably gonna check out more of Bendis since the art was great in Man of Steel... Rogal Zaar didnt excite me as a villian and since Id heard bad things I explored a lot of older DC materials... but once they announced december as Bendis exit Ive got my attention back towards his run... looking to collect a lot all at once. And got my eyes on the shelves of my local used book store... as i buy far more used books then new... im collecting 6 to 10 trades per month so getting books for 50% off means i save big and buy more...

Its been a while since Ive read ac or superman, im excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I trade wait mosty also, so for what I've read, haven't really liked some of the plot developments but overall I think Bendis has a pretty good voice for Clark, way better than I ever expected.
    Bendis nailing superman's voices has been consistently what ive heard even from those who hate bendis!

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    To be fair, Bendis' Superman is spot on. He really has the voice of Superman and Clark, but the problem with him is his story. He is like Kurt Busiek in a sense. Both of them understand Superman, but can't make a story worthy of Superman.
    Yah this was definitely what I detected when reading man of steel. The story was so thin and didnt impacted me. Ive actually read that volume twice and still can't pick out any emotionally resonating moments or whoa story points... clearly he's continuing what geoff started... i was a big fan of rebirth up til boosters volume, maybe I just burnt out on superman since I'd been reading his materials heavy for 3ish years... since taken a break, hope bendis suprises me. My expectations are low so shouldnt be to hard to get me pumped on big blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    I like it. Post-Truth I like it a lot.

Its not perfect certainly. But Superman's voice is spot on, the plot has substance and the art is great. There are some duds, Action comics started great but the leviathan and Year of the villain tie ins are a bit boring and if you are not a fan of JRJR, the House of Kent arc will lose value. Plus the first arc of Superman drags a lot.

But its still one of the best Superman runs of the decade and worth buying.
    You mean post truth as in

www.dccomics.com › graphic-novels
    Web results
    ACTION COMICS VOL. 8: TRUTH | DC new52

??

I literally just bought this volume and before truth at the used book store. Gaps in my collection. Heavily referenced material though so always been curious... they pissed a lot of people off upon release didnt they? Loss of identity...

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    You mean post truth as in

www.dccomics.com › graphic-novels
    Web results
    ACTION COMICS VOL. 8: TRUTH | DC new52

??

I literally just bought this volume and before truth at the used book store. Gaps in my collection. Heavily referenced material though so always been curious... they pissed a lot of people off upon release didnt they? Loss of identity...
    Yeah they outed Superman in a story called Truth again lol. It will be interesting to see if that sticks, if Waid is getting a mainline book I almost guarantee it won’t, that dude is a hardcore secret identity supporter. And Clark getting outed was meant to pave the way to 5G, with that no longer being the plan it wouldn’t surprise me if the genie goes back in the bottle. For what it’s worth I’ve really enjoyed how Bendis has handled it, much better than the New 52. If they’re going to undo it again though, that better be the last f****** time he gets outed for a couple decades at least.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It's not without its flaws, but I have really enjoyed Bendis's Superman and Action Comics run. Well worth checking out.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The run is decent. He jumped through alot of hoops to get jon to a position which i don't agree with. I don't like jon's voice or personality in the books. But, legion itself was much better read through.Many of his villains aren't great. Many of the suspense and mysteries were predictable too.

Bendis have some good thing and some bad.

The best thing about Bendis run, is his voice for Clark, it's really good.
    The worst thing he did was age Jon up, but now we know that it wasn't entirely his decision, with 5G and all that.

As others have said here, Action Comics started really good, while Superman was a little behind and Ivan Reis was doing a lot of heavy lifting. Now is kind of the other way around, with Romita Jr. art taking a lot of my interest out of Action Comics.

I think if Bendis run was little less decompressed and he didn't developted so many plots at the same time, it would be a lot better. He just developt 2 or 3 story threads at the same time, and often when I read an issue it seems like I've just read the preview to 2 or 3 different comics.
    So, I believe his run will read so much better after is finished, probably will check out some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah they outed Superman in a story called Truth again lol. It will be interesting to see if that sticks, if Waid is getting a mainline book I almost guarantee it won’t, that dude is a hardcore secret identity supporter. And Clark getting outed was meant to pave the way to 5G, with that no longer being the plan it wouldn’t surprise me if the genie goes back in the bottle. For what it’s worth I’ve really enjoyed how Bendis has handled it, much better than the New 52. If they’re going to undo it again though, that better be the last f****** time he gets outed for a couple decades at least.
    Lol holy cow... I guess at the very least his take was an improvement