Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I mean, there's a lot of articles online. Writing and keeping out of the camera is something that some people do

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

'The Daily Planet' is a progressive news site run by Jenny Olsen. It gets widespread attention for covering the emergence of the Superman. In the present day Superman himself writes editorials for Jenny's site.

FBI Special Agent Lois Lane (think Dale Cooper) frequents the blog a lot in her early days of investigating the Superman- eventually leading to her frequent team ups with Jenny.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-14-2020 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Yeah, gonna pretend that Clark never revealed his identity here.

While true, most newspapers are in major decline, there's a few that are still going pretty strong. Like the New York Times and Washington Post. But I would combine the news paper with a television side as well. So there's room for journalists in the classic sense, but also mainstream media outlets that are still relevant.
    Agreed, in particular with your two examples. NYT and the Post are still highly relevant, so if you get the Planet to mirror those, then it stays relevant.

On the other hand, we can think of ways to revamp the individual characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think Lois and Clark being podcasters has potential. It lets both of them be big deals as news reporters while keeping Clark’s face away from the cameras.
    As much as I would probably love to hear any Lois voice on a podcast, she feels too much like a writer for me to imagine her specializing in podcasts unless we're talking like a teenage/young adult Lois trying to break into the industry through social media. But even teen Lois in DC Super Hero Girls is depicted as a pretty hardcore on the street reporter.

And how do you keep the joke of her inability to spell ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    FBI Special Agent Lois Lane frequents the blog a lot in her early days of investigating the Superman- eventually leading to her frequent team ups with Jenny.
    I can't imagine Lois Lane working for the government, unless this was an Elseworlds where she takes Lucy's place of joining the family business to get closer to their father but she hates every minute of it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think Lois and Clark being podcasters has potential. It lets both of them be big deals as news reporters while keeping Clark’s face away from the cameras.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I mean, there's a lot of articles online. Writing and keeping out of the camera is something that some people do
    I actually love the idea of Lois and Clark being mainly online writers, but ending up shanghaied into podcasts and YouTube videos occasionally... especially if that was used as an out-of-universe viral marketing campaign!

I like to think Lois is too blunt and honest when she talks to be a natural podcast host, and instead being just fantastic at tracking down leads and getting valuable interviews From a anonymous sources, while Clark is a bit too humble and mellow to be a great podcast are, and has a much more passionate “writing voice”... but that every once in a while, Lois has to be interviewed by podcaster/actual TV reporter Lana and we get to see how awkward and overly aggressive she is in that scenario (like she’s an all too real “bad cop” Lana brings on to rattle particular guests) or Clark gets badgered int being on Steve Lombard’s Pat McAfee-esque sports podcast and is way too calm and mellow...

...At least until Lombard starts talking about March Madness, at which point Mizzou School Of Journalism alumnus but die-hard Jayhawks fan Clark actually gets usually passionate about KU’s chances every year.

(That last part brought to you by a guy who actually lived/lives in both Kansas and Missouri.)

...I also just like the idea of making Steve Lombard a Pat McAfee type of podcaster.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    ...I also just like the idea of making Steve Lombard a Pat McAfee type of podcaster.
    Funny comparison. I'm not sure if Steve Lombard is supposed to be as likable as Pat McAfee, though maybe as good of a storyteller, but a bit of a troll like Skip Bayless.

Though I can imagine Lombard complaining about how Clark Kent ruined his life by lining up in the C-gap.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Funny comparison. I'm not sure if Steve Lombard is supposed to be as likable as Pat McAfee, though maybe as good of a storyteller, but a bit of a troll like Skip Bayless.

Though I can imagine Lombard complaining about how Clark Kent ruined his life by lining up in the C-gap.
    Bayless is exactly how I picture Steve Lombard too

Was thinking about how the 1987 TMNT cartoon essentially spun April O'Neil from a mad scientist's assistant into the TMNT version of Lois Lane, the spunky reporter always getting into trouble. I think it might be funny if a future Superman TV show that's not currently in production made their Lois similar to the original April O'Neil. It's a pretty radical departure, but kind of like how The Batman from 15 years ago was kind of a controversial cartoon among long-term fans for not being completely in line with popular Batman mythos of the day, maybe said future Superman TV shows can play fast and loose with the DP characters. That is, keep the characters and their most basic personalities, but reassign them to have different jobs and make them interact with Superman in different ways.

Was thinking about how the 1987 TMNT cartoon essentially spun April O'Neil from a mad scientist's assistant into the TMNT version of Lois Lane, the spunky reporter always getting into trouble. I think it might be funny if a future Superman TV show that's not currently in production made their Lois similar to the original April O'Neil. It's a pretty radical departure, but kind of like how The Batman from 15 years ago was kind of a controversial cartoon among long-term fans for not being completely in line with popular Batman mythos of the day, maybe said future Superman TV shows can play fast and loose with the DP characters. That is, keep the characters and their most basic personalities, but reassign them to have different jobs and make them interact with Superman in different ways.
    I can't really imagine Lois as anything other than a reporter though.

I mean, I guess at the end of the day she needs a job that lets her bring injustices to light...I dunno, social worker?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I mean, I guess at the end of the day she needs a job that lets her bring injustices to light...I dunno, social worker?
    If we're okay with radical reimaginings of these characters, I don't think she needs a job that necessarily involves or makes it easy/convenient to combat injustice, just that she needs to have that fighting spirit. She could be a hot dog vendor who fights for justice and that could work.

Of course, I wouldn't make her a hot dog vendor. I liked the science angle because 1) I think every Superman project from here on out should involve more real science and 2) she can do more sidekick activities in a plausible manner. I thought about that kind of role for Jimmy Olsen, but I kind of like the idea that he's not that book smart, but perhaps more street smart or something.

I had some ideas how to reinvent Lois' dad, but he's not DP so I'll save it for another day.

If we're okay with radical reimaginings of these characters, I don't think she needs a job that necessarily involves or makes it easy/convenient to combat injustice, just that she needs to have that fighting spirit. She could be a hot dog vendor who fights for justice and that could work.

Of course, I wouldn't make her a hot dog vendor. I liked the science angle because 1) I think every Superman project from here on out should involve more real science and 2) she can do more sidekick activities in a plausible manner. I thought about that kind of role for Jimmy Olsen, but I kind of like the idea that he's not that book smart, but perhaps more street smart or something.

I had some ideas how to reinvent Lois' dad, but he's not DP so I'll save it for another day.
    Now I'm just imagining a gender-bent Emil Hamilton...or is that Kitty Faulkner ?

I guess we also have Shay Veritas...

Now I'm just imagining a gender-bent Emil Hamilton...or is that Kitty Faulkner ?

I guess we also have Shay Veritas...
    Whatever happened to Jenet Klyburn?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Whatever happened to Jenet Klyburn?
    I knew I missed someone .

Hmmmmmmmmmm. In a world where social media has everyone living in an increasingly curated echo chamber and exercising less and less critical thinking the Daily Planet can do a lot of good with its representation. Journalism is essential to American government and requires exceptional skill, discipline, boldness, and ethics. It would be nice to see them woven in and out of adventures and showing the various challenges facing journalists today.

Similar to Gotham Central 's depiction of GCPD daily grind, I think something similar but centered on the Daily Planet would make for a very compelling streaming show and nice introduction to more obscure corners of the DCU that those in the Daily grind of journalism see in addition to the obvious narrative tool for Supes adventures.

I saw someone pitching the idea of making Lois a secret agent. Dunno how I feel about that, I can definitely see some potential there.