BANNED

Default The RoboCop 2 (1990)

Such a terrific sequel.

The action sequences were thrilling, marvellous and well-directed. The stakes were higher, the production was on a grand-scale. The final battle was very climatic. Granted, it wasn't a masterpiece like the first movie but, hey, you cannot top that. You cannot top RoboCop 1987 anyway.

The criticism behind RoboCop being RoboCop and not "Alex Murphy" is beyond me. RoboCop is not Alex Murphy. He's a cyborg who uses half a brain of Alex Murphy and who convinces himself to be "Alex Murphy", exactly like Swamp Thing convinces himself to be Alec Holland, but he isn't. Fact is, RoboCop is not Alex Murphy, so I'm glad that he gave up "acting" like Alex Murphy at the beginning of the movie. STILL, despite this, RoboCop manages to be human throughout the movie. He also attempts suicide in order to save himself, and that's meaningful.

Peter Weller was great.

Just a brilliant sequel, and it was a commercial hit all around the world.

Kinda hard not to appreciate it even in some small way since it was the second and last time Weller portrayed RoboCop on film (though he would later voice RoboCop in KFC commercials and a Mortal Kombat game).

Cain was a fascinating villain, before and after his transformation into RoboCop 2/RoboCain. The fight between Murphy and RoboCain was great.

Pretty much all I can say good about the movie since its an appreciation thread.

The only thing I didn't like about that movie was the design for Robo-Kaine. It was too weird and confusing for me. Other than that, I've always enjoyed it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    The only thing I didn't like about that movie was the design for Robo-Kaine. It was too weird and confusing for me. Other than that, I've always enjoyed it.
    Good! Well, the design of RoboCain was truly original.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Such a terrific sequel.

The action sequences were thrilling, marvellous and well-directed. The stakes were higher, the production was on a grand-scale. The final battle was very climatic. Granted, it wasn't a masterpiece like the first movie but, hey, you cannot top that. You cannot top RoboCop 1987 anyway.

The criticism behind RoboCop being RoboCop and not "Alex Murphy" is beyond me. RoboCop is not Alex Murphy. He's a cyborg who uses half a brain of Alex Murphy and who convinces himself to be "Alex Murphy", exactly like Swamp Thing convinces himself to be Alec Holland, but he isn't. Fact is, RoboCop is not Alex Murphy, so I'm glad that he gave up "acting" like Alex Murphy at the beginning of the movie. STILL, despite this, RoboCop manages to be human throughout the movie. He also attempts suicide in order to save himself, and that's meaningful.

Peter Weller was great.

Just a brilliant sequel, and it was a commercial hit all around the world.
    I feel like he was Murphy but he stopped saying that to spare his wife the pain. It's his Murphy memories that gave him back his humanity in the first movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I feel like he was Murphy but he stopped saying that to spare his wife the pain. It's his Murphy memories that gave him back his humanity in the first movie.
    Plus his words right before the credits ("we're only human")emphasis mine)) and as much as part 3 is meh, they emphasized that even more there.

Murphy reconciling who he was with who he is now, is what kept him from going insane. The RoboCop 2 failures segment shows what happens to potential cyborgs who can't. Cain cared more about getting high than any sort of reconciliation so they used that to their advantage. Ironically without that addiction he too might have went nuts and immediately tried to kill himself the instant he went online.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Good! Well, the design of RoboCain was truly original.
    I will give it that. It was certainly more original then their concept for Robocop 2.0 in the Robocop: Prime Directives movies. "He'll look just like Robocop- only in dark purple armor instead of silver! And he'll have two guns!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Plus his words right before the credits ("we're only human")emphasis mine)) and as much as part 3 is meh, they emphasized that even more there.

Murphy reconciling who he was with who he is now, is what kept him from going insane. The RoboCop 2 failures segment shows what happens to potential cyborgs who can't. Cain cared more about getting high than any sort of reconciliation so they used that to their advantage. Ironically without that addiction he too might have went nuts and immediately tried to kill himself the instant he went online.
    Add to that Cain had a few screws loose from the start. In a weird way that helped him adjust to being a cyborg lol.

Incredible Member

I am glad Detroit did not become like it did the movie. Sarcasm alert.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    That reminds me a few years ago on The Daily Show where the news of Detroit filing for bankruptcy was happening. Show host Jon Stewart noticed ,and pointed out that when the networks covered the city filing for Chapter 11. That none of them sent out any correspondents to Detroit to report from Detroit. But while the networks like CNN, FOX NEWS, NBC, and others seemed to have no problem sending their reporters to the Middle East to cover the conflicts there. But Detroit on the other hand was too dangerous to send anyone there.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    LMAO. Imagination is far superior than reality.

BANNED

Question about RoboCop 1:

When RoboCop is approaching Emil, after the gas station has blown up in pieces...
    There's a close shot of Robocop walking (you can't see legs), and the distant flames of the gas station behind him... why is the sequence looking like RoboCop is superimposed over the flaming background (or vice versa), like photomontage or what?
    Thanks.

I always liked Hobb in that movie.