Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default In this day and age

Of Imdb, Wikipedia and the internet in general, is there any excuse for a lack of knowledge in media trivia/facts?

Just ran into a guy who complained about not knowing two movies were connected despite the fact that the two movies were based off of classic works of fiction from the same author, were in theaters 4 years apart, had the same first word in their titles, the second was followed by the number 2 then the title of the actual movie and it featured the same second lead as the first one. Despite all of that he spent hours trying to figure out what the first movie was and didn't know the answer till they announced two sequels today.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Of Imdb, Wikipedia and the internet in general, is there any excuse for a lack of knowledge in media trivia/facts?

Just ran into a guy who complained about not knowing two movies were connected despite the fact that the two movies were based off of classic works of fiction from the same author, were in theaters 4 years apart, had the same first word in their titles, the second was followed by the number 2 then the title of the actual movie and it featured the same second lead as the first one. Despite all of that he spent hours trying to figure out what the first movie was and didn't know the answer till they announced two sequels today.
    First, people on forums, including this one, everyday ask for explanations a quick Google would solve. So, I'm not surprised.

Second, WTF was the movie you're talking about? Why the mystery?

(My guess is "Too Fast and Furious".)

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    First, people on forums, including this one, everyday ask for explanations a quick Google would solve. So, I'm not surprised.

Second, WTF was the movie you're talking about? Why the mystery?

(My guess is "Too Fast and Furious".)
    Journey 2 the mysterious island which was the sequel to journey to the center of the earth.

There is a great excuse, not realy giving a da** over useless ephemera. Do you think tat stuff is important enough that people should know it? Or that in reality that it is important at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikekerr3 View Post
    There is a great excuse, not realy giving a da** over useless ephemera. Do you think tat stuff is important enough that people should know it? Or that in reality that it is important at all?
    The guy was commenting on a story about the movies upcoming sequels about how he couldn't find out about the movie which came before it despite spending hours searching for said information. He obviously cared. It wasn't like I started the conversation then called him a moron for not knowing the answer.

You can't expect a person to think, I mean like seriously

But when you lay it out like that, particularly in the most recent post, then yes, he should have known. Somehow I think he was trollin'

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

<snip>
    Well, some people can navigate those reference sites pretty well, and others can't. I personally find it more disturbing that in an age where people have international news at their fingertips constantly pouring in, people in general remain politically and culturally ignorant.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    Well, some people can navigate those reference sites pretty well, and others can't. I personally find it more disturbing that in an age where people have international news at their fingertips constantly pouring in, people in general remain politically and culturally ignorant.
    Well the saying is "Ignorance is bliss".
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

I actually admire people who aren't hooked into the net and have all the information of the world at their fingertips. I always see it as more peaceful/spiritual to be more removed from the media. I think things can be confusing for "non in the know folk" sometimes, like Batman Begins being part of the trilogy not having Dark Knight in the name.

BANNED

I agree with Mike, different priorities/estimation of the value of such information. I also agree with what I think edhopper was saying, general laziness. Add them together, some would rather just ask people directly that would know and can wait for the answer rather than taking the time to search and maybe taking much longer.

BANNED

Well one issue might be that anyone can edit wikipedia. So you might not even get necessarily correct information.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Well yeah, though one thing that bugs me is when someone asks a question and people respond with "google it". It's just to me..if you are going to bother responding then you might as well answer the question

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Well one issue might be that anyone can edit wikipedia. So you might not even get necessarily correct information.

Well yeah, though one thing that bugs me is when someone asks a question and people respond with "google it". It's just to me..if you are going to bother responding then you might as well answer the question
    Well if it's what an Internet abbreviation means or what movie it is, yeah. If it's a more complex answer that needs paragraphs to explain, no. Do you want to take the time to explain who J'son Spartax and Starfox are? Or the origins of the Nova Corps?
    Sometimes it's more obscure scientific terms or philosophical ideas, and so on.

I was recently grateful when the people on the Star Wars thread here explained the continuity status of the new EU to me. I'd read the wiki article on the subject, but not understood its cryptic wording.

BANNED

Maybe your friend just has such a rich and fulfilling life he doesn't have time to keep track of sequels to Brendan Fraser movies.

Lack of information literacy isn't the same thing as lack of knowledge. It's a bit disappointing that this person needed to spend hours to find an answer when it's readily available online, but the fact that he didn't know it automatically shouldn't be a strike against him. There's a lot of media out there, and most of it isn't really worth the mental effort of remembering.