Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I would take it back to the Brubaker film noir style. Maybe bring in the New52 Slam Bradley and make her a reluctant femme fatale. She means well but her methods would be questionable. I'd give her a protege that would embody her lost innocence and through whom she would live vicariously.
    Slam would be secretly in love with her as he would make sure he was there to intercept GCPD with an alibi for her.
    Meanwhile, Catwoman would be oblivious to this because she's resigned herself to believe she's damaged goods and the desire to redeem herself is what drives her to take on Gotham's underworld.
    so your asking for a brubaker rehash plus a sideick? no thanks, especially not after the crap feifer did with that plot afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    She does not need her own damn book. It was a waste of space, of time, and of resources. And not a single writer has been able to write a decent on-going with her, anyway.
    Except for few years in the 00's. Catwoman has had her own book since the early 90's. She's more than proved that she can hold an ongoing of her own instead of being Batman's sometimes GF/Thorn in his side.

Incredible Member

Oh, God no. I don't need anymore of Batman-knock-off Catwoman. Just keep her as a the world's best thief. Expert martial artist, strategist, genius spy, whatever, no, just no.

Catwoman should not be an anti-hero. It has done nothing but damage her character in the long-term, and the sooner DC realizes this, the better off her character will be. She's a master thief, out for herself and herself alone. She's most interesting that way, not as generic Gotham vigilante #593.

She does not need her own damn book. It was a waste of space, of time, and of resources. And not a single writer has been able to write a decent on-going with her, anyway.
    I approve of your message. And the idea of Catwoman being at the same level as the freaking Joker and the freaking Ra's Al Ghul is laughable at best. Penguin's level ? Yeah maybe. But Joker and Ra's Al Ghul level ? A big no. Plus she needs to go back as a full villain away from the world of Bruce Wayne. I cannot take that character seriously especially when she is trying hard to force herself into Batman so DC may as well stop writing as the joke she is now with that Batman/Catwoman nonsense.
    Last edited by TheDarkKnightReturns; 08-17-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post
    Except for few years in the 00's. Catwoman has had her own book since the early 90's. She's more than proved that she can hold an ongoing of her own instead of being Batman's sometimes GF/Thorn in his side.
    Not anymore it seems.

BANNED

you know what i think

a relaunch would work best if you give selina a role that is unique. her being a straight villain with a crew of thugs after eternal makes her another talia. her being a noir styled detective makes her another batwoman, batgirl ect.

she needs to be the role that has worked best for the character, a straight up thief. my idea for a new take on this is to have her be a thief for hire. it gives her relevance over the larger dcu, sets up interaction for other mercenaries/organizations, and gives her a nitche that currently only she could fill, one that could provide a fresh plot to justify her having a book. just imagine a plotline with her in an italian job/tomb raider scenario, it would literally write itself

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    I approve of your message. And the idea of Catwoman being at the same level as the freaking Joker and the freaking Ra's Al Ghul is laughable at best. Penguin's level ? Yeah maybe. But Joker and Ra's Al Ghul level ? A big no. Plus she needs to go back as a full villain away from the world of Bruce Wayne. I cannot take that character seriously especially when she is trying hard to force herself into Batman so DC may as well stop writing as the joke she is now with that Batman/Catwoman nonsense.
    Villain or not Catwoman has almost always done her own thing away from Batman. It's mostly when Batman writers bring her into his book that things go the bat/cat route. The Bat-office is always going to play up that relationship because it's been around for a very long time but even so Catwoman has come into a character of her own.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnightReturns View Post
    Not anymore it seems.
    Just because Nocenti's run was the thing comic book nightmares were made of doesn't mean that Catwoman is no longer a bankable member of the Batman franchise. Like I said before, she has almost always had her own solo series in the last 20 or so years. Regardless of her relationship with Batman.

Astonishing Member

Let's see how this new, from-out-of-comics writer does. If her first arc is good, then I'm all for relaunching.

I have high, high hopes though. I've never really connected with the character outside of Selina's Big Score (and that's because I wuv Darwyn Cooke).

The upcoming arc and creative team is effectively a relaunch already, though I do agree it could use a little more promotion. Could include a renumbering (would certainly help) however interviews, new art, adverts etc can all help build similar buzz without it, just look at Batgirl.

That said there is a chance the new team is only a fill-in before a more permanent and perhaps high profile team is announced. So maybe the hype will kick off then.

Gotham Kingpin is for sure an angle we've not yet seen and loaded with potential. Should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But the OP seems more obsessed with the concept of putting Issue #1 on it so it can call out to readers like a cheap street corner hooker (who's probably under-age and has a few unwanted social diseases you can't see). To the OP, just having new talent on the same book won't be enough enticement.
    I'm not sure "obsessed" is the best word - OP mentioned a renumbering exactly once in a post including many other thoughts and questions. Not sure what corner hookers or underage kids with diseases have to do with anything either - can we please keep some perspective here.

Oh, God no. I don't need anymore of Batman-knock-off Catwoman. Just keep her as a the world's best thief. Expert martial artist, strategist, genius spy, whatever, no, just no.

Catwoman should not be an anti-hero. It has done nothing but damage her character in the long-term, and the sooner DC realizes this, the better off her character will be. She's a master thief, out for herself and herself alone. She's most interesting that way, not as generic Gotham vigilante #593.

These are a lot of words to say basically say "I don't agree with you". Apart from that you've not provided any illumination into why you believe these things - just alot of huff and puff really.

Ultimate Member

Plus Catwoman as "generic Gotham villain #234" is just as tired and generic as well. Her as a straight-up villain is just boring to me.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    . . . I'm not sure "obsessed" is the best word - OP mentioned a renumbering exactly once in a post including many other thoughts and questions. Not sure what corner hookers or underage kids with diseases have to do with anything either - can we please keep some perspective here . . .
    Well, the OP's way of describing a relaunch didn't sound as if we was happy with just a whole new creative team and direction like we will be getting. So to me that means it HAS TO BE a new #1 just like Marvel tends to do over and over and over . . .

It just seems cheap and tawdry to do it that way, and considering Catwoman's past, well . . . excess exaggeration is best.

I'll likely be checking out the new direction for Catwoman, but it's not really what I'd go for if I was relaunching the book.

I always figured that if Batman was the "World's Greatest Detective" then Catwoman should be the "World's Greatest Cat-Burglar", so with that in mind, I would ramp up her skills and take her global. Her book would be a heist book -- "Ocean's Eleven" meets "Mission Impossible", and she'd be so good at what she does, that she'd be doing jobs for all types of characters within the DCU -- villains and even heroes (like in Batman Inc. where she accompanied Bruce to Japan to lend her skills). Sometimes she would team up with other thieves/criminals, others, she'd do her usual solo act.

Being a thief, there'd really be no mistaking her for a "hero", but that doesn't mean she couldn't be a worthwhile protagonist in her own book, while stealing from other baddies or corrupt businessmen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    I'll likely be checking out the new direction for Catwoman, but it's not really what I'd go for if I was relaunching the book.

I always figured that if Batman was the "World's Greatest Detective" then Catwoman should be the "World's Greatest Cat-Burglar", so with that in mind, I would ramp up her skills and take her global. Her book would be a heist book -- "Ocean's Eleven" meets "Mission Impossible", and she'd be so good at what she does, that she'd be doing jobs for all types of characters within the DCU -- villains and even heroes (like in Batman Inc. where she accompanied Bruce to Japan to lend her skills). Sometimes she would team up with other thieves/criminals, others, she'd do her usual solo act.

Being a thief, there'd really be no mistaking her for a "hero", but that doesn't mean she couldn't be a worthwhile protagonist in her own book, while stealing from other baddies or corrupt businessmen.
    pretty much what i described, i agree

In this case a relaunch sends a message: We're leaving everything you hated behind, it's safe to buy this comic again.

Sounds like an idea they should really consider.

BANNED

I'm not sure that I would relaunch Catwoman at all. Why not give Riddler and Joker their own titles?

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    These are a lot of words to say basically say "I don't agree with you". Apart from that you've not provided any illumination into why you believe these things - just alot of huff and puff really.
    Actually, I did. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge them isn't really my fault.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan