Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Are there really any other contenders for best Luthor? I’ve been disappointed with every single one, with Eisenberg being ten times worse than any other.
    Though he was very entertaining, Hackman's Luthor was the least like Lex in comparison to the CB version. I don't even think it's close, either.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DCAU Lex Luthor: Telly Salavas

John Stewart: Nothing concrete but I always thought in the Bronze Age artists seem to be basing him on Sidney Poitier. The DCAU crew said they were inspired by Sam Jackson and Louis Gossete Jr in 'An Officer And A Gentleman'. I can definitely see *some* resemblance to SLJ (mainly in the jawline and eyes) in the DCAU version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In 1986, Byrne's Luthor looks more like Hackman than that other guy. Story-wise, it might be different (both were into real estate); however, SUPERMAN "the movie" was a big influence on John Byrne's reboot.

In the 1930s, Lyle Talbot was a handsome, romantic lead. Strange to see him later playing the heavy. I guess his career went the Frank Langella route.
    At 11:39 Byrne does talk about how the other guy influenced Luthor, though it seems to have been Marv Wolfman's idea which Byrne ran with.

Last edited by John Venus; 10-09-2021 at 06:12 AM.

Funky Flashman: Stan Lee

Big Barda: Lainie Kazan

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Talbot was a lead, but never in an A picture. I guess James Cagney, Dick Powell, Errol Flynn, Edward G. Robinson, Paul Muni, George Raft, Pat O'Brien, and even Joe. E. Brown made it difficult for him to move up the food chain at Warner Bros. Even Humphrey Bogart had to wait a few years before he became an A-lister there.
    I've been watching pre-Code early 1930s movies, where a lot of those other actors are only in bit parts if at all, while Talbot is a lead. I don't know if those movies are considered A or B. Unimportant actresses like Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Ann Dvorak, Joan Blondell were in those types of movies.

I've been watching pre-Code early 1930s movies, where a lot of those other actors are only in bit parts if at all, while Talbot is a lead. I don't know if those movies are considered A or B. Unimportant actresses like Barbara Stanwyck, Bette Davis, Ann Dvorak, Joan Blondell were in those types of movies.
    Yeah, it's sometimes hard figuring out a B picture pre-Code. For example, a '40s movie that's only 60-75 minutes will always be a B. Earlier films, however, are not always that easy to spot. Having said that, all of the actresses you mentioned had a mix of both A's and B's early in their careers (even Bette, who broke out as a star after the others did, but unquestionably had the greatest career).

Retired

When the Elongated Man got his own feature in DETECTIVE COMICS, Carmine Infantino changed the way he had been drawing Sue Dibny and based her new look on Shirley MacLaine.

Not visually, but by name, Ray Palmer got his name from the science fiction writer and editor of the same name, who Julie Schwartz knew (having been a science fiction fan and writers' agent). The real life Ray Palmer was very short, thus the connection to the Tiny Titan.

Schwartz combined the names of two celebrities he liked--Steve Allen and Barry Gray--to come up with Barry Allen.

When the Elongated Man got his own feature in DETECTIVE COMICS, Carmine Infantino changed the way he had been drawing Sue Dibny and based her new look on Shirley MacLaine.

Not visually, but by name, Ray Palmer got his name from the science fiction writer and editor of the same name, who Julie Schwartz knew (having been a science fiction fan and writers' agent). The real life Ray Palmer was very short, thus the connection to the Tiny Titan.

Schwartz combined the names of two celebrities he liked--Steve Allen and Barry Gray--to come up with Barry Allen.
    Never knew any of that, Jim. Very interesting.