Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Amazing Member

Default Why doesn't Marvel just retcon Sin's Pasts already?

In the latest Amazing Spider-Man, it seems they had a reference to that god forsaken storyline
    And I just have to say...why? No one likes this story and why not retcon it if they acknowledge it. I consider it non canon and just waiting until the next writer retcons it

At the very least, the kids aren't mentioned lol.

Kinda funny Norman cucked both Peter and Harry, even funnier now that we have this idea that Norman sees Peter as a son, what a weird fetish he has

Amazing Member

Never happened

Its non canon to me

Because people get worked over about it, which Marvel writers correlate to engagement (And I guess they are not entirely wrong)

Astonishing Member

That would require thinking about it which isn’t worth anyone’s time and effort.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Because people get worked over about it, which Marvel writers correlate to engagement (And I guess they are not entirely wrong)
    You are correct. Any publicity ( even bad publicity) is better then no publicity.”l (Ronald Reagan). That explains why stories like Sins Past and Clone Saga ( referenced in this year’s Gwen comic) keep coming back.

Spectacular Member

Marvel has two ways to go now: 1. Deal with Sins Past and retcon it. That would force the writer to create a messy storyline in which everything was either invented by Osborn to mess with Peter (so why would Gwen tell MJ fake things? Did Osborn create children clones? Why?) or Gwen was hypnotized or raped by Osborn (they still would have had sex but it would make more sense maybe). / 2. Completely ignore the storyline and pretend it ever existed.
    See, the problem with Sins Past is that it's hardly retconnable. How can you explain Gwen confessing to MJ or the letter she wrote to Peter? The original storyline by Straczynski is terrible and offensive, but it was sadly well thought (except for the fact that Gwen hid her pregnancy. Again, how?). The only ways I see to retcon it are the ones I mentioned at the beginning, but they would be ridiculous. So, that's why Marvel likes to pretend it never happened. I think that they should simply erase the story from new printings of Straczynski saga and don't mention it in new Handbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Pretty much this.

I have no further comment except that I think the practice of "trolling fans" in such a fashion by those in the Comic Book Industry is despicable.

Edit - Sorry for venting but as a member of two fandoms (the other is Pro Wrestling in which fans are dismissed as "marks") in which fans are often disrespected, or even downright hated, by those in positions of power I sometimes get unduly upset about the situation.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-12-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSJG View Post
    In the latest Amazing Spider-Man, it seems they had a reference to that god forsaken storyline
    And I just have to say...why? No one likes this story and why not retcon it if they acknowledge it. I consider it non canon and just waiting until the next writer retcons it
    I'm actually quite mad that Gwen though Peter would be ok with being a cuck.