Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Why doesn't Marvel just retcon Sin's Pasts already?

In the latest Amazing Spider-Man, it seems they had a reference to that god forsaken storyline
    And I just have to say...why? No one likes this story and why not retcon it if they acknowledge it. I consider it non canon and just waiting until the next writer retcons it

At the very least, the kids aren't mentioned lol.

Kinda funny Norman cucked both Peter and Harry, even funnier now that we have this idea that Norman sees Peter as a son, what a weird fetish he has

Amazing Member

Never happened

Its non canon to me

Because people get worked over about it, which Marvel writers correlate to engagement (And I guess they are not entirely wrong)

Astonishing Member

That would require thinking about it which isn’t worth anyone’s time and effort.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Because people get worked over about it, which Marvel writers correlate to engagement (And I guess they are not entirely wrong)
    You are correct. Any publicity ( even bad publicity) is better then no publicity.”l (Ronald Reagan). That explains why stories like Sins Past and Clone Saga ( referenced in this year’s Gwen comic) keep coming back.

Spectacular Member

Marvel has two ways to go now: 1. Deal with Sins Past and retcon it. That would force the writer to create a messy storyline in which everything was either invented by Osborn to mess with Peter (so why would Gwen tell MJ fake things? Did Osborn create children clones? Why?) or Gwen was hypnotized or raped by Osborn (they still would have had sex but it would make more sense maybe). / 2. Completely ignore the storyline and pretend it ever existed.
    See, the problem with Sins Past is that it's hardly retconnable. How can you explain Gwen confessing to MJ or the letter she wrote to Peter? The original storyline by Straczynski is terrible and offensive, but it was sadly well thought (except for the fact that Gwen hid her pregnancy. Again, how?). The only ways I see to retcon it are the ones I mentioned at the beginning, but they would be ridiculous. So, that's why Marvel likes to pretend it never happened. I think that they should simply erase the story from new printings of Straczynski saga and don't mention it in new Handbooks.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Sins Past? Sure the story is crazy but so are a lot of comic stories.

The reference to it in 850 was unsettling but also a highlight for me and I appreciate that Spencer brought it up and didn't try to ignore it like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't mind Sins Past? Sure the story is crazy but so are a lot of comic stories.

The reference to it in 850 was unsettling but also a highlight for me and I appreciate that Spencer brought it up and didn't try to ignore it like everyone else.
    yeah i just read last weekend it was kinda mess up but overall didnt change much for me.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

I am not fan of Gwen Stacy, and so I don't care if she had sex with Osborn.
    I am a fan of Mary Jane Watson, and I don't like that she kept that big secret about Gwen from Peter for many years.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

BANNED

Marvel doesn't retcon Sins' Past because it's too much work and the effect of such a retcon could bring more attention to a story than it would deserve.

Marvel has a practise of sweeping stuff under the rug when it comes to Spider-Man:
    -- Spider-Man accidentally killing Charlie
    -- The "Spider-Baby"
    -- Mary Jane being kidnapped and locked for months on end by a crazy stalker.
    -- OMD and Mephisto

Marvel can get away with this because this is a story only known to a paltry few comics readers and fans. The vast majority of the people who know Spider-Man from toys, cartoons, games, movies don't know about Sins' Past unless they come across some listicle or a clickbait piece about weird comics and so on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Marvel doesn't retcon Sins' Past because it's too much work and the effect of such a retcon could bring more attention to a story than it would deserve.

Marvel has a practise of sweeping stuff under the rug when it comes to Spider-Man:
    -- Spider-Man accidentally killing Charlie
    -- The "Spider-Baby"
    -- Mary Jane being kidnapped and locked for months on end by a crazy stalker.
    -- OMD and Mephisto

Marvel can get away with this because this is a story only known to a paltry few comics readers and fans. The vast majority of the people who know Spider-Man from toys, cartoons, games, movies don't know about Sin' Past unless they come across some listicle or a clickbait piece about weird comics and so on.
    That is correct. If you name the worst Spider-Man stories: Clone Saga, Year One, OMD/BND, Silk, The Other, Shed and of course, Sins Past, they only bother the hard core fans, who remember them. The 12 year old who watches the cartoon, prefers Ghost Spider Gwen to Original Gwen ( or even MJ) and buys the toys generally do not care about stories ( like Sins Past) that happened before they were born.

They did retcon it. It has never come up in stories where it would logically come up. They treat it as non-canon. They're not going to bring more attention to it by trying directly retcon it out in some clunky way when ignoring it completely is working fine.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post

wait fuckin WHAT
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    They did retcon it. It has never come up in stories where it would logically come up. They treat it as non-canon. They're not going to bring more attention to it by trying directly retcon it out in some clunky way when ignoring it completely is working fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    wait fuckin WHAT
    This is the best part of the thread, and I don't think anything can top it