Amazing Member

Default How do you handle stereotype about comic fans(Unhygienec, ugly manchildren etc)

All of us hear are comic fans and despite this, there a lot of negative stereotypes about comic fans like the titles I mentioned above, which include having no life or more or less being like comic book guy from the Simpsons. So how do you deal with those stereotypes?

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSJG View Post
    All of us hear are comic fans and despite this, there a lot of negative stereotypes about comic fans like the titles I mentioned above, which include having no life or more or less being like comic book guy from the Simpsons. So how do you deal with those stereotypes?
    I ignore them. Because I, and the people I know who read comics defy them. And stereotyping is always folly for those who do it, regardless of what demographic of people are being stereotyped.

That's about it.

Look at this list. Then, like, Vin Diesel and Joe Mangianello play D&D. Felicia Day is a huge gamer. I'm not believing stereotypes about that wing of nerd culture either.

Anyone who wants to go tell Maisie Williams she's an ugly man-child who doesn't shower enough... well, good luck.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

I laugh in their faces. I keep myself clean, looking good, do not live with my parents, and my girl friend is hyper possessive in that she considers me super attractive.

Astonishing Member

Go to a local comic book store, look carefully at everyone who is there around you, and accept that the stereotypes are perhaps not wholly without merit. Realize that like most other stereotypes, the ones about comic fans are major exaggerations that may nevertheless be based on a grain of truth. Then buy a comic book, go home and read it, and carry on with your life as the detractors carry on with theirs.

Its so strange, a grown adult can go to see a Marvel or DC movie in the theaters (when we used to do that) and its no big deal, but an adult in his/her 40s/50s reading a comic book in public might get some looks or snickering.

For some reason I think that comics have a stigma of being "childish" for those who aren't into them.

We love them because its the perfect mix of art and literature, but for some others its on par with reading a book with pictures in it. Somehow its "less than" or viewed as less sophisticated as reading a novel or flipping through a book featuring art.

So to answer the OP's question, how do I handle it? Luckily among my close friends, they know I love comics and its never a big deal beyond some obvious teasing which I find funny. When I would read comics in a public place, but I'd try to find a spot less conspicuous because I'd rather have privacy and not be noticed. Unfortunately thats how it is.

Its just bullying. Unfortunately you pretty much have to learn to turn the other cheek, because most of society is on their side essentially and you can't really win on getting comic books culture to be cool. Its good practice, though, learning how to ignore people and not let them get to you. Just take some martial arts too, maybe, in case they try to get more than verbal on you.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Go to a local comic book store, look carefully at everyone who is there around you, and accept that the stereotypes are perhaps not wholly without merit. Realize that like most other stereotypes, the ones about comic fans are major exaggerations that may nevertheless be based on a grain of truth. Then buy a comic book, go home and read it, and carry on with your life as the detractors carry on with theirs.
    What do you mean merit? I hear if you go to a store, its diverse?

I thought about this more. I also think the sigma comes with the Superhero comics. For example I don't think there would be as much teasing or scrutiny from non-comics readers if they saw someone reading The Sandman, Preacher, Walking Dead, etc.

The characters in bright colored stretchy outfits will continue to carry a stigma that's it "for kids", and looked as strange for adults to read. The before mentioned non-superhero comics wouldn't be as criticized IMO.

My favorite comics are superheroes, so obviously I don't agree with the criticism, but I understand why.