Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Rank these Shonen Jump protagonists

I've made a few of these kinds of threads over the years, but since Shonen Jump currently has a bunch of new series, I figure why not bring the idea back?

So, the way this works is that I'll give a list of attributes that are relevant to combat, and a list of characters, and y'all will rank the characters (that you know) in order from best to worst. I'll also define the Attributes, since some of them aren't immediately obvious.

Note: Characters are taken from the strongest point in which they have verifiable feats from

These are the attributes

Strength:
    Speed:
    Durability:
    Biggatons:
    Soak:
    Skill:
    Intelligence:
    Charisma
    Senses:
    Stealth:
    Hax:

Strength refers to general physical strength.
    Speed refers to reaction speed specifically
    Durability refers to ability to take a hit without getting hurt. If the character has a forcefield, then that counts.
    Biggatons refers to how much destruction the character can pull off.
    Soak is there ability to keep fighting after being hurt. Regeneration counts toward this.
    Skill refers their skill at whatever it is they specialize in. So someone studying magic is tanked on that that, martial artists on Martial arts, etc
    Intelligence is general academic smarts
    Charisma is their ability to make allies and influence people's behavior.
    Senses refer to a characters perception
    Stealth refers to the ability to hide
    Hax refers to abilities that neutralize another stat. For example, stuff like soul stealing that physical durability cannot defend against, or stuff like intangibility that physical attacks can't effect.

Now, the list of characters. I understand that it is veyr long, however the intent is for you to use whichever ones you want to use, not all of them. So consider it just a list of options.

1. Son Goku
    2. Naruto Uzumaki
    3. Monkey D. Luffy
    4. Ichigo Kurosaki
    5. Izuku Midoriya
    6. Ryo Saeba
    7. Kenshiro
    8. Yusuke Urameshi
    9. Gon Freecss
    10. Tanjiro Kamado
    11. Medaka Kurokami
    12. Yuji Itadori
    13. Yugi Moto
    14. Emma
    15. Asta
    16. Toriko
    17. Denji
    18. Senku Ishigami
    19. Rin Okumura
    20. Saitama
    21. Osamu Mikumo
    22. Saichi Sugimoto
    23. Hachimaru
    24. Andy
    25. Shiota Nagisa
    26. Light Yagami
    27. Dark Schneider
    28. Alita/Gally
    29. Tatsumi Oga
    30. Beet
    31. Train Heartnet
    32. Zatch Bell
    33. Kazuki Muto
    34. Godou Kusanagi
    35. Tsubasa Ozora
    36. Jonathan Joestar
    37. Joseph Joestar
    38. Jotaro Kujo
    39. Josuke Higashikata
    40. Giorno Giovanna
    41. Jolyne Cujoh
    42. Johnny Joestar
    43. Josuke "Gappy" Higashikata
    44. Sena Kobayakawa
    45. Soma Yukihiro
    46. Gintoki Sakata
    47. Shoyo Hinata
    48. Meisuke Nueno
    49. Clare
    50. Allen Walker
    51. Tsuna Sawada
    52. Kinnikuman
    53. Kankichi Ryotsu
    54. Neuro
    55. Kenshin Himura
    56. Tsukune Aono
    57. Seiya
    58. Yoh Asakura
    59. Taikobo
    60. Kusuo Saiki
    61. Ken Kaneki

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

This is a very long list, but Goku is first in half of the categories, and it's not particularly close.

Strength, soak, destructive power, speed he's definitely first by orders of magnitude from what I know, and hax... teleportation, flight, life sensing, zenkai, transformation, fusion, telepathy, power absorption are all good stuff. Some are rarely used, but they are all awesome abilities.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    6. Ryo Saeba
    *appears in a cloud of smoke* I am the terror that flaps in the night! I am the 100 ton hammer in the way of your mokkori nights! I am Darkwing D... I mean, FrenchGemini. Have you summoned me, Sharp?... Oh, you're not Sharp? I never thought I'd see the day someone would involve Ryo in a thread.

While I know less than half of those guys, I know he is closer to the bottom of this list than to the top in many categories (Light and Tsubasa are below in the physical department). However, he does get an honorable mention in senses, due to his ability to feel an opponent's killing intent, and skill as a marksman (I mean, he once shot the shirt buttons and the belt of a guy who was one kilometer away with a sniper rifle. Said guy was an Olympic shooting champion, who said that at one kilometer, he could kill a person, but it was a difficult shot even for him. Ryo laughed at the guy, and precised he was a professionnal, far better than Olympic champions). His speed is also pretty good for a street-leveler (most notably shooting bullets out of the air and dodging them after they are fired a few times), but nothing to brag about when mentioned next to the likes of Kenshiro, Goku or Seiya. In terms of strength, he can do one-arm pullups, for reps (I need to find the scan, but I remember the count was something above 20), and once lifted a 100 kg weight with his... giant-sized man-thing while excited.

Agreed with big on Goku being first in many categories, maybe end of series Seiya surpasses him in terms of speed, not familiar with the most recent DB speed algorithm.
    Last edited by FrenchGemini; 10-11-2020 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Giving more details on one of Ryo's feats

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchGemini View Post
    *appears in a cloud of smoke* I am the terror that flaps in the night! I am the 100 ton hammer in the way of your mokkori nights! I am Darkwing D... I mean, FrenchGemini. Have you summoned me, Sharp?... Oh, you're not Sharp? I never thought I'd see the day someone would involve Ryo in a thread.

While I know less than half of those guys, I know he is closer to the bottom of this list than to the top in many categories (Light and Tsubasa are below in the physical department). However, he does get an honorable mention in senses, due to his ability to feel an opponent's killing intent, and skill as a marksman (I mean, he once shot the shirt buttons and the belt of a guy). His speed is also pretty good for a street-leveler (most notably shooting bullets out of the air and dodging them after they are fired a few times), but nothing to brag about when mentioned next to the likes of Kenshiro, Goku or Seiya. In terms of strength, he can do one-arm pullups, for reps (I need to find the scan, but I remember the count was something above 20), and once lifted a 100 kg weight with his... giant-sized man-thing while excited.

Agreed with big on Goku being first in many categories, maybe end of series Seiya surpasses him in terms of speed, not familiar with the most recent DB speed algorithm.
    I can see that for Seiya in terms of speed; I wasn't really thinking of just how fast those guys got by the end.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    This is a very long list, but Goku is first in half of the categories, and it's not particularly close.

Strength, soak, destructive power, speed he's definitely first by orders of magnitude from what I know, and hax... teleportation, flight, life sensing, zenkai, transformation, fusion, telepathy, power absorption are all good stuff. Some are rarely used, but they are all awesome abilities.
    Like I said, I don't expect anyone to do all of them. Just whichever ones they want/are familiar enough to do

Extraordinary Member

Toriko should at least be considered for top tier in the strength and durability department.

In his series there's a dude that's able to break the moon by jumping off of it. Towards the end of the series and with all his Gourmet Demons, Toriko is able to beat up and overpower people that trounced that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Toriko should at least be considered for top tier in the strength and durability department.

In his series there's a dude that's able to break the moon by jumping off of it. Towards the end of the series and with all his Gourmet Demons, Toriko is able to beat up and overpower people that trounced that guy.
    He'd definitely be near the high end, it's just that current Goku is "some significant portion of universe-buster" which means things like "smashes up moons" is so small it might as well not be a thing by comparison.

Extraordinary Member

He'd definitely be near the high end, it's just that current Goku is "some significant portion of universe-buster" which means things like "smashes up moons" is so small it might as well not be a thing by comparison.
    Sure, but how much of that is actually pure strength and not divine ki energies? Because I generally think that there's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Sure, but how much of that is actually pure strength and not divine ki energies? Because I generally think that there's a difference.
    Thing is, DB guys are presented as having physical punchy punchy at least around their ki-blast powers. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother with the punchy punchy. Also, they are generally hurt or affected about as much by the physical attacks as by the ki-blasts. Also, the universe-threatening dust-up between Beerus and Champa was pure physical.

OTOH, it's DB. It's not exactly "consistent."

Extraordinary Member

Thing is, DB guys are presented as having physical punchy punchy at least around their ki-blast powers. Otherwise, they wouldn't bother with the punchy punchy. Also, they are generally hurt or affected about as much by the physical attacks as by the ki-blasts. Also, the universe-threatening dust-up between Beerus and Champa was pure physical.

They could just be going for the punchy punchy because its more fun than standing on opposite ends of the solar system and blasting away (I exaggerate part of the of course).

Which Beerus/Champa confrontation is that? They have a few and the ones I remember are preseted somewhat differently depending on the medium.

Extraordinary Member

Was it purely physical? Because I seem to recall it happening again when they played Rock Paper Scissors in the baseball episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Was it purely physical? Because I seem to recall it happening again when they played Rock Paper Scissors in the baseball episode.
    It was before that. Right after the Super Saiyan God Arc, I believe. Beerus and Champa got into a squabble (one of many), and they were accidentally erasing everything else around them in the process.

Mighty Member

Seeing Seya and Dark Schneider as well as Medaka in that list i at the very least doubt Goku for speed and especially hax, this is one ability of Dark Schneider for example:

and i don't even know where to start with Medaka, this is her main ability:

The End (完成, Ji Endo): Medaka is capable of learning Abnormalities and completely mastering them, to the extent that she can use them to one hundred and twenty percent of their capability, becoming more skilled with them than even their original owners.

As her Abnormality has developed, Medaka can now learn abilities based off of information or word-of-mouth and can now copy Minuses, successfully learning Five Forks from only a secondhand description.

And that in a verse with madness like this:

Multiple Skill User: Ajimu does not have one specific Abnormality or Minus. Instead she has an insurmountable amount of distinct Abnormalities and Minuses (7,932,135,441,523,222 Abnormalities and 4,925,916,526,110,643 Minuses, for 12,858,051,967,633,865 skills in total).[90] After giving Hundred Gauntlets to Kumagawa and later Parasite Seeing to Zenkichi, her total drops to 12,858,051,967,633,863 skills. She later takes back Hundred Gauntlets from Kumagawa and returns his original Minus to him, raising the total amount to 12,858,051,967,633,864 skills. This suggests that while she possessed Kumagawa's original Minus, she could not use it. While under the influence of Kumagawa's Book Maker sealing her abilities, Ajimu cannot use the totality of her skills. Once Book Maker's seal completely fades away, she becomes capable of using her full skill set once again. After she is killed by Iihiko, she meets Kumagawa in the dream classroom to give him Hundred Gauntlets and Unskilled. This decreases her total to 12,858,051,967,633,862 skills. At present, Ajimu has demonstrated or explained 814 different skills.

and even physical strength seems a bit questionable considering how bad especially Goku's lifting feats are, but that depends on how to interpret Ki in combination with strikes.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 10-11-2020 at 05:40 PM.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

not sure where to put giorno since GER is more defensive than offensive. and it is a hard power to get over as well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    not sure where to put giorno since GER is more defensive than offensive. and it is a hard power to get over as well.
    In Hax, I think it's a solid ten out of ten.

Strength wise, in the anime I recall Ge punching cars into the air